Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 04:30 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,798,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Consider this. Even though I grew up in PA, I met my wife on a small island off the coast of Washington....and she's from Arizona! Now how do you calculate the odds of a meeting like that? Prior to meeting her, I spent a whole year living in the big city of Seattle and met no one I was interested in, and I go to an island with a population of several thousnad people...for a weekend....and I meet a woman who lives 1500 miles away and we decide to get married within the next year.
The odds aren't linear Wiz. If you're looking for a soulmate, the odds of finding one increase exponentially if you follow your soul to the place it wants to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 05:42 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,411,820 times
I am curious. Did you not just get a job in Reno? You have said you like it there. Why are you now looking for another job? Is it a good idea to be job hopping so quickly with only a short time in your first job?

There are plenty of woman in Reno. How about one of those showgirls who is looking for an attractive young rich(potentially) accountant?

Livecontent

Old 05-11-2010, 06:01 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,322,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I am curious. Did you not just get a job in Reno? You have said you like it there. Why are you now looking for another job? Is it a good idea to be job hopping so quickly with only a short time in your first job?

There are plenty of woman in Reno. How about one of those showgirls who is looking for an attractive young rich(potentially) accountant?

Livecontent
I was working in Reno (or more accurately, traveling to 6 different states every week and sleeping in Reno on the weekends) for exactly 6 months for the audit busy season, then I was terminated. Believe me, this whole load of crap of being unemployed again and look for new jobs is not something I had planned. Only positive thing I can say is I'm having a higher success rate so far at least getting invited to interviews than I was last summer when I didn't have any professional experience. Basically, I'm looking back at those 6mo as equivalent to a quality internship.

I do like Reno, but felt very lonely there. And that may have been due to the job situation more than the town itself. I recently interviewed with another company in Reno, so there's even a possibility I could end up back there again. I also have a potential lead with a company in L.A. (holy ****, talk about extremes, Grand Junction or Los Angeles). And more things keep coming up here in Denver too.

I like your idea, livecontent! Although I think Vegas is where it's at when it comes to the showgirls!

Old 05-11-2010, 07:17 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,411,820 times
I am sorry you lost your job. If you were married and have kids, then you would be more in a panic. Now, as a single guy, you can pick up and go; do this or that; and have no worries about a family.

Do not be lonesome--go out on the town in Reno--you are in a perfect place to be single...

You can try to get one of the jobs auditing the gambling skim--what do you call it, in accounting language--non-taxable retained earnings.

Livecontent

Old 05-11-2010, 07:45 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,322,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I am sorry you lost your job. If you were married and have kids, then you would be more in a panic. Now, as a single guy, you can pick up and go; do this or that; and have no worries about a family.
Very true. And I was extremely conservative financially-- no car payments, no debt, month-to-month lease I was able to easily get out of. I've seen other recent grads that get their first job and think they've "made it"-- brand new car, "luxury" apartments, buy all kinds of crap... not me. Basically I'm sticking to a college budget.

Quote:
Do not be lonesome--go out on the town in Reno--you are in a perfect place to be single...
Actually, I've been back in Denver for over a month now. I'd be willing to move again, but only if I get a job offer first.

Quote:
You can try to get one of the jobs auditing the gambling skim--what do you call it, in accounting language--non-taxable retained earnings.

Livecontent
That's right!

Old 05-11-2010, 08:33 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,691,668 times
Based on my experiences with Western Slope dating, Denver is the hot ticket. I would say the WS has quite a few more single men than available women. Although I don't have much experience with GJ, I'd say Denver just from the overwhelming numbers your chances are better. I had zero trouble picking up single women in Denver, while anywhere on the WS, it was like panning for gold all day in the hot sun while starving and desperately trying to find a good nugget.

But you are young and if the job is something you are comfortable with then it's worth a try. It might be a good experience as it sounds like you've done the Denver thing already.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:52 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,010,778 times
vegaspilgrim...I have lived in LA, and I have lived in Grand Junction. IMO, Grand Junction wins that one hands down. I did not enjoy the time I spent in LA, even though I lived in a very nice part of LA ( Rancho Palos Verdes) in a very nice house witha pool in the back yard and a great view of Catalina Island. LA was not my cup of tea. I hated the freeways and just about everything else about it. I was never so happy to leave a place as I was to leave LA. I was glad when my one year assignment was over.

I also spent time in Reno when my daughter was a grad student attending the the University of Nevada. I like Reno, the town itself, and I especially like having Lake Tahoe so easily accessible. The climate is not as extreme as Grand Junctions climate, and the city has a more robust vibration about it. I think I would enjoy living in Reno. If you get a job offer there...go for it. Hiking to the top of Mt Rose is a great hike if you get a chance to do it.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:02 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,119,659 times
I'm not sure how much more I'll be able to add to the discussion, as it seems as if much has been covered regarding the pro/cons of living here in Grand Junction.

I live in Palisade on 27 acres. I lived on Long Island orriginally. I worked in the city and commuted back and fourth for years, spending 3-5 hours in my car a day.

Then I moved to Florida ( like many NYers ) and bought a condo on the beach. I opened a business, and for ~10 years was content with the lifestyle and prosperous business. Part of my decision to move to FL was to pursue a racing career.

I was coming out here to CO to ski in the winter for 15 or so years, and one summer decided to check out Ft. Collins. After spending a lot of time on the front range, someone recommended I check out the western slope.

My first trip, I really didn't like it. My subsequent scouting trips really enabled me to get a feel for this place, and it started to feel more like at home. My wife ( she was my g/f at the time ) grew up in NYC and lived on south beach at the time, and when I told her I was going to move out here and that she can either come with, or stay behind, she decided to come.

My wife had a panic attack the first 1-2 times here. It was small and isolated and for her, living in a large city her whole life was a HUGE shock.

I can say that we are pretty content for the time being. We've made some great friends out here - but I'd be lying to you if I said we didn't miss our friends and family back home in NY and Italy ( we're both dual-citizens ). It's HARD to fly to NY ( and to Italy ) living almost on the west coast practically, and in a small town. I miss the lush greenery of the north east, my house I grew up in, and the small town I spend the first 20 or so years of my life in.

I choose to move out here for many reasons, mostly political and the rest here:

Weather - Low humidity and sunshine. I have bad allergies, and they're pretty much non existent here.

Activities - Tons to do in Colorado in general, as opposed to NY and FL.

Cost of living - WAY cheaper here - You don't have to work 6-7 days a week here, and make $150,000 or more to just make it.

Well, there you have my story. I'm 33, and like it out here. I've done the city life, and I've had enough of it. I can honestly say that there is never a time where I whish to go to Denver, or NYC for that matter.

One final thing, they just closed down one of the better night clubs here ( Axis ), which pretty much leaves only one place - Cactus Canyon. Kind of a Country Western club.

There are some nice looking women out here for sure ( don't tell my wife that), so if you bring some redeeming qualities to the table, I don't think you'd have too much trouble meeting someone.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:37 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,985,757 times
Cosmicwizard, Actually, GJ does get more clouds than AZ and Ca desert. That is because it gets more precip here. Also, the weather within the last couple of years have been crazy as far as cloudy, cold and rainy. Even the locals that I know that have been here all of their lives are saying that is not the norm. GJ typically has a lot of sunshine. Even the winter.

As far as the wind, it has gotten worse. It never use to be this bad.
As far as down town dying, I just don`t see that happening. It seems alive to me.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:42 PM

18,228 posts, read 25,885,077 times
Motorracer51 brings some good points. One is the night club scene. For the Axis club situation, surprisingly it has to do with back taxes. There had been a lot of problems before with the previous owners (can't think of the club name off hand), and it had to do with the normal things involved in regards to having a club (squabbles with neighborhoods, noise, DUI, etc.) In this case, the current owner tried to clean up those type problems, but from what the media reports here it has to do with back taxes to the State of Colorado.

Also in regards to the local music scene; the Mesa Club is downtown on Main St. for local talent, mostly involving 90's to current music. If any name artist is going to a show, generally the venue is the Avalon, just a couple blocks east of the Mesa Club. The city done a good job of renovating the place. It however is quite small (not sure just how small, maybe 1700 to 1800 capacity). I'm not so sure that it hasn't proven to be a deterrent to bring more music acts here to the area.

IMO that's the one thing that I have issues with as I think the music scene here is somewhat lacking. Now they are having a couple of events coming up for the summer, one is a Palisade bluegrass fest coming up and the City of Fruita brings a couple acts to State park on hwy. 340 in July and August. Still, Sandstone Entertainment doesn't bring nearly the amount of acts here that I wish they could. Sometimes I wonder if the venue is the problem here, as in the lack of the size of a venue. The only other venue we have that brings in recording people would be with the good folks at Roper Music. They've been around the area for a long time and primarily is a music retailer selling instruments, sheet music, etc. Over the last few years they have jumped into the fray, providing a room upstairs called the Roper Music Ballroom. Um, in actuality we are talking about your regular basic upstairs room directly above the store and the room only has enough space for say maybe 200 chairs, nice folding chairs at that. But I tell you what, I applaud them for at least trying to get some more acts in here. Leon Redbone played there just recently. Now having said that, there are two real good size events in Mack, 20 minutes west of Grand Junction. One is Country Jam, which usually is around the end of June, and Rock Jam, usually held just after Labor Day weekend. And they do pull in a huge crowd from the local area and from Denver, western Wyoming, and Utah. I just feel if we had a venue that would be around eight to twelve thousand capacity you could bring a lot more acts. This is a conservative area, though. And that would mean a raise in taxes, something that does not appeal to residents.

One huge plus, to me anyway, is that whatever place an artist plays here, the tickets are one price and that's that! No select a seat fee, computer fee, charge card fee, ram it to the consumer fee, etc. They sell tickets the old fashion way, through retail stores and believe it or not, the City Market grocery stores sell tickets as well. Now for concerts in Denver, Salt Lake, or other regional cities, the music store at Mesa Mall does have Ticketmaster. The store is FYE (For Your Entertainment).

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-12-2010 at 01:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado