Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 10:25 PM

7 posts, read 10,217 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move south in the beginning of next year. We have been looking alot at the Columbia SC area as a real possibility. I thought some information from locals would be helpful! Please, anythign you can add please feel free! It's really hard to move this far!

We would like a small town, preferably with a 'main street' feel but also a resonable driving distance to downtown Columbia (likely where my husband will work). A good school district is important and an active family town because we have 3 children. We will likely be looking for a home in the $100,000 - $150,000 price range, but we aren't affraid of a fixer-upper.

So far I have been looking at Irmo and Lexington (feel free to tell me if you think there towns fit the criteria). Also please suggest ANY other town that you think might work for us.
THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 05:10 AM

12,933 posts, read 18,783,711 times
Look at Camden, especially if your husband will be working on the northeast side of Columbia.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:25 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,453,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEKN View Post
We are looking to move south in the beginning of next year. We have been looking alot at the Columbia SC area as a real possibility. I thought some information from locals would be helpful! Please, anythign you can add please feel free! It's really hard to move this far!

We would like a small town, preferably with a 'main street' feel but also a resonable driving distance to downtown Columbia (likely where my husband will work). A good school district is important and an active family town because we have 3 children. We will likely be looking for a home in the $100,000 - $150,000 price range, but we aren't affraid of a fixer-upper.

So far I have been looking at Irmo and Lexington (feel free to tell me if you think there towns fit the criteria). Also please suggest ANY other town that you think might work for us.
THANKS!!!
If you're willing to put aside "small town", I'd recommend Forest Acres. You could easily find a solid house for $120K-$150K, there, one which may need some work and updates. The schools are excellent, and the commute into downtown would be 15 minutes, tops.

Small towns? Not enough nice ones around Columbia, unfortunately. Lake Murray area is nice, as in Chapin/Prosperity.

If you decide to come this way for a visit, be sure to check out Greenville

Old 07-19-2010, 08:25 AM

193 posts, read 541,644 times
OP, whereabout in PA are you relocating from? I lived in the southeastern part for about 20 years, then Maryland and wound up in Lexington last year. I'm obviously not a local but I can offer my insights as someone who relocated.

We looked everywhere around the Columbia area before buying a house here. I don't regret choosing Lexington. It really depends on what is important to you. As far as schools, we've heard Lexington 1 school district and this has been confirmed when we talk to our neighbors and friends who use the school system. We personally do not have children.

For around 150-160k you can get a brand new house, 4 bed/2.5 bath on a smaller lot. Plenty of children and families out where I am.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:25 PM

411 posts, read 854,113 times
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I would look at other options besides Columbia. I don't like it here. My husband wasn't very happy here either before he had to relocate for work.
It's too hot (and I'm a life long Southerner) and the personal property crime seems to be high. That's coming from someone who's lived in Charleston as well as Atlanta. The police department has some serious issues and I assume that the criminals think they can get away with anything. It seems that most everyone in the city limits has a security system.

Maybe it's different outside of the city proper. If it is, I would definitely suggest that route.

If you're set on Columbia, and are looking for the small town feel, Forest Acres is a good area that is about 10 minutes in traffic to downtown. Lots of shopping, and cute houses. My husband and I wanted to buy there, but our budget wasn't quite enough. Some parts can be sketchy, so do your due diligence. Lexington is sprawl-ville, if you ask me, but if you're into subdivisions and strip malls, then it will suit.

Columbia is a great place to visit...but to live...not so much. I am very much looking forward to relocating to Greenville once I find a job.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:50 PM

10,967 posts, read 21,998,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I would look at other options besides Columbia. I don't like it here. My husband wasn't very happy here either before he had to relocate for work.
It's too hot (and I'm a life long Southerner) and the personal property crime seems to be high. That's coming from someone who's lived in Charleston as well as Atlanta. The police department has some serious issues and I assume that the criminals think they can get away with anything. It seems that most everyone in the city limits has a security system.

Maybe it's different outside of the city proper. If it is, I would definitely suggest that route.

If you're set on Columbia, and are looking for the small town feel, Forest Acres is a good area that is about 10 minutes in traffic to downtown. Lots of shopping, and cute houses. My husband and I wanted to buy there, but our budget wasn't quite enough. Some parts can be sketchy, so do your due diligence. Lexington is sprawl-ville, if you ask me, but if you're into subdivisions and strip malls, then it will suit.

Columbia is a great place to visit...but to live...not so much. I am very much looking forward to relocating to Greenville once I find a job.
To each their own. I felt my previous location was a bad place to live but feel very at home in Columbia. What makes you think Greenville will be better?

Old 08-04-2010, 05:31 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,029,003 times
I'd suggest the Chapin area; the commute into Cola isnt bad ( guess it depends on what one is used to ), but when we relocated from WI we wanted to stay out of the city--have more of the small town feel but be 20-30 mins from the city. The school district seems to be highly rated ( we dont have a child in it ), and housing anywhere down here can be had for the $$ you listed.
I'd also suggest spending some time down here ( 5-7 days ), not only driving around looking into various towns and 'hoods, but doing things you'd do if you lived here. Check out the parks, zoo, museums, etc. Take a day trip to Charleston, go out on the lake, hit some area eateries. That's all it took for us--a week of "local research" along with our online time and we've been very happy here ever since ( 1.5 yrs so far ).

Old 08-04-2010, 11:19 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,879,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post

The neighborhood you live in is everything. Seems like you may not have done your due diligence before you selected yours. The property crime rate in both Columbia and Greenville is pretty similar based on 2008 data, but of course, it's not going to be distributed evenly across either city.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,367 times
If would be dissappointed if you did not look at Lake Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area