Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,204 times

Advertisements

we are relocating to Ft. Jackson after the first of the year and are planning on living off post. I was kindof looking at the Irmo area, but are open to any suggestions around Ft. Jackson. We like the small town feel. Great schools and low crime are a must. I want to hear everyone's opinion even the bad opinions. we would also like to know if there is a part of town to stay away from when buying a house. I would also just like to get a feel of what the place is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 07:54 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Irmo is a pretty good drive to Fort Jackson; have you looked at Blythewood if you want a small town feel?

Old 10-17-2007, 12:22 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
It's a matter of opinion I guess. I live in Irmo and can get to Ft. Jackson in 30 minutes and don't consider it that bad a drive.

However, if you want a small town feel Blythewood, Gaston, or Swansea would probably be better fits. Blythewood probably is the best school of the bunch although Swansea isn't bad, just rural.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:04 PM

21 posts, read 82,222 times
I would suggest you take a look at Lake Carolina, schools are excellent, small town feel, with a local YMCA and the village at sandhills which is beautiful, you should definitely visit. I heard the area thats really loud and questionable in the northeast would be carraige oaks subdivision, I am not saying its bad just heard from locals to try to stay away if possible. sorry to carraige oaks residents who are reading this.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
It's a matter of opinion I guess. I live in Irmo and can get to Ft. Jackson in 30 minutes and don't consider it that bad a drive.

However, if you want a small town feel Blythewood, Gaston, or Swansea would probably be better fits. Blythewood probably is the best school of the bunch although Swansea isn't bad, just rural.
Yikes, no offense to anyone that lives there, but the landscape in the Swansea/Gaston area is downright ugly.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Yikes, no offense to anyone that lives there, but the landscape in the Swansea/Gaston area is downright ugly.
It depends on where you are and what you consider ugly. To someone that is from a small town and a country setting the Vista is probably ugly. There are some nice homes and areas outside of Swansea /Gaston and plenty of open land. Some consider that beautiful but just because you don't you shouldn't label it as "ugly". I would suggest checking out Creekside Plantation if you'd like to see what I mean.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:42 AM

293 posts, read 826,808 times
An area you may want to stay away from is a certain stretch of Bluff Rd aka 48....that area is down right rough and you don't want to be there. Another area to be weiry of is Percival Rd [the section in between Decker Blvd and Forest Dr].

The thing about Columbia [which is like most cities] is that I could name off streets that are bad, but it's just for a stretch on the road. Like it's area's on Two Notch, N. Main, Farrow, Beltline, Leesburg, Broad River, and other roads have seedy sections and shady characters on them....but then you drive about a mile or so down the road and the area is nice.

I guess the best thing to do would be to find an neighborhood or area and ask someone on here about it....that way we could tell you if it's a good or bad move...

But if you are looking for a small town feel and looking to not be too far from Ft. Jackson...the Lower Richland [SE Columbia] area going toward Hopkins and Eastover isn't a bad area. Even though Forest Area's is surrounded by Columbia....it has some beautiful areas on Trenolm Rd....I could continue but i think the Red Bull is finally wearing off and i can go to sleep now....lol....good luck.....

Old 10-21-2007, 06:58 PM

What I mean about Swansea and Gaston is literally the actual landscape - scrub oaks and scrub pines. There are many prettier rural areas in the Columbia area, such as Cedar Creek, Blythewood, Chapin and Peak.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:19 PM

There are quite a few hardwoods around the area also. You probably haven't seen those areas.-Brandon

Old 10-23-2007, 06:01 PM

3 posts, read 7,690 times
Thinking of moving to Lexington from Long Island NY. Can you tell me anything about Lexington High School, is overcrowding a problem there? Also, anyone know about DR Horton communities in the area, such as Heritage Farm? thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area