Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 10:22 AM

142 posts, read 343,543 times

Advertisements

I've been investigating Columbia and it seems like it has a decent cost of living, lots of culture, lots of schools, and lots of well educated people. Jobs also seem diverse and when in doubt hopefully I could work for the state or a college. I'd love more feedback from people who live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 11:02 AM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
It's a well-rounded, diverse place. Coldwell Banker just ranked it the 4th most affordable college town in which to buy a house. The business page of the local newspaper has a blurb about that today. I'm sure the parents of the Jersey college students here will note that stat. Richland County's wages are the highest in the state. The visual arts, staged theater, musical groups and dance companies here are strong. A headline on the front of today's newspaper says "Midlands schools beating the odds."

Old 11-13-2010, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,133 times
Cool Art Scene

The Main Street art scene in Columbia is growing. The Tapps Building is full of some of the best artists from the South East. The Vista and 5 Points areas have great bars, restaurants and shops. Trustus Theatre and Nickalodeon are wonderful movie and playhouses. The Columbia Museum of Art, The State Museum & Edventure are fun. Lexington is a lovely town outside of Columbia. Our art scene is small but growing. The Lexington Old Mill and many of the businesses within exhibit great South Carolina Artists which is managed by the Art in Public Places for Lexington SC. Visit their site for more information.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:38 PM

191 posts, read 503,155 times
Where are you coming from? The art scene is meh... Culture seems alright so far. I expected more considering it's size. It's extremely affordable. I've noticed just about everything to be cheaper... Dining, gas, real estate!, utilities are just a few that come to mind.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:16 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwind View Post
Where are you coming from? The art scene is meh... Culture seems alright so far. I expected more considering it's size.
I think Columbia does a good job in terms of arts and culture, and being a state capital only helps. You've got art galleries in the Vista, Trustus theatre, Town theatre, Nickelodeon theatre, the Marionette theatre, SC Shakespeare Company, Workshop Theatre, Imperfect Theatre Company, the SC State museum, Columbia Museum of Art, McKissick Museum, Columbia City Ballet, SC Philharmonic, Columbia City Jazz Dance Company, Columbia Choral Society, etc. With the exception of places that are known to be ultra-artsy, I think Columbia compares quite well with its peers in terms of arts and culture.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:18 PM

I was just reading an article that was partly about cities that have become pretty much out of balance because, for whatever reason, they got a name for being such arts meccas that they have become places that don't reflect reality. Among cities that aren't that way, Columbia does very well in the arts.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:17 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artriotnow View Post
I've been investigating Columbia and it seems like it has a decent cost of living, lots of culture, lots of schools, and lots of well educated people. Jobs also seem diverse and when in doubt hopefully I could work for the state or a college. I'd love more feedback from people who live there.
Just one small piece of advice: don't just assume you can walk in and get a job. Get that lined up before you move anywhere in the Carolinas (or anywhere else these days)

Good luck.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:30 PM

142 posts, read 343,543 times
Thanks for the advice, but it's too late. Wish I had took it before in a way, but I've been here a year in Greenville. I haven't found work in Greenville. I know Greenville has a very high unemployment rate. I'm thinking of going near Columbia or maybe Charleston for more job opportunities.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:57 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artriotnow View Post
Thanks for the advice, but it's too late. Wish I had took it before in a way, but I've been here a year in Greenville. I haven't found work in Greenville. I know Greenville has a very high unemployment rate. I'm thinking of going near Columbia or maybe Charleston for more job opportunities.
You might want to look around a bit.....Greenville, Columbia and Charleston metros all have basically the same unemployment.

Greenville 9.3 and Charleston and Columbia 9.0 No difference really.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

If you want low unemployment, move to North Dakota.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:08 AM

What line of work are you in, artriotnow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area