Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 05:31 PM

13,069 posts, read 18,936,705 times

Advertisements

I find it very interesting that for the most part when my partner and I have a conversation with someone who offers Greenville as an example of what they like, somewhere else in their conversation it comes out that what they like is a small-town feel because that's what they're used to. If they infer or insinuate that they don't like Columbia, nine times out of ten they end up inferring that they don't like Columbia because they're used to a small town atmosphere. This has been our experience - just sayin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 07:07 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,587,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I find it very interesting that for the most part when my partner and I have a conversation with someone who offers Greenville as an example of what they like, somewhere else in their conversation it comes out that what they like is a small-town feel because that's what they're used to. If they infer or insinuate that they don't like Columbia, nine times out of ten they end up inferring that they don't like Columbia because they're used to a small town atmosphere. This has been our experience - just sayin'.
Absolutely! I think it's amazing that the City of Greenville has been able to piece together THAT kind of atmosphere. When you can put several thousand people on the sidewalks every night and still make people think they're in a very intimate and familiar place, I think that's where success has lived for Greenville. The attention to detail and pedestrian focus absolutely play a key role, and the reason that delegations from all over the country come and try to learn from the City's successes. You sum it up pretty well, I'd say.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:14 PM

Not everyone likes the small-town feel, but kudos to Greenville for accomplishing what it wanted to accomplish.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:51 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,066,590 times
we hit downtown Gnvle on Sunday, and without going into the differences between the 2 cities, would it make sense for Cola to offer some form of an open air bus/trolley to run between 5 Points, the Vista, and the capital/main st area? While it's not a big deal for myself to drive to one spot, do my 'shopping', and then drive to another spot to hit another area ( if that's the only option ), i wonder if it would help bring people into Cola's downtown if they knew they could park once and be able to hit those 3 shopping/eating areas.
This visitors trolley wouldnt need to be 24/7, but run it on weekends for sure and other days if the biz dictates it. Seems to me Charleston has something like that as well. Anyhow those 3 areas in Cola seem distinct ( and for some distant as well ) so any way to link them together both physically as well as by ads and marketing to draw consumers in may be another step forward.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:04 AM

They are looking at doing that. It would be part of a comprehensive metro transit authority plan in conjunction with USC. It's going to involve a close look at exactly how the routes should run and then selling and marketing the product. Today's The State reveals that across the board in public transportation, city and regional leaders are thinking bigger than just the buses for moving people on a regional and even inter-regional basis.

http://www.thestate.com/2011/05/31/1...an-travel.html

Old 05-31-2011, 10:37 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,709,877 times
Pay attention to the last part of the article: Columbia is not Charlotte. Bottom line it says no one business wise nor political wise is in charge.

I believe this to be the real issue. No one in charge.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:42 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,909,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
No one in charge.
This has been the issue for years and years with the redevelopment (or lack of) on Main Street in Columbia. Read old news articles, and this issue comes up over and over.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:03 PM

The mayor seems to be on track and all over the place. Columbia hasn't had the kind of visionary leader that he seems to be since Mayor Finlay, the immensely improved town & gown relationship Mayor Coble forged notwithstanding. Coble did do a good job of continuing the development of the Vista to help make the entertainment and dining district what it is today. Mayor Benjamin has no intentions of dropping the ball on either the Vista's or Five Points' continued development, but he is putting a major emphasis on making Main Street second to none anywhere.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:26 PM

A shiny new SOLD sign just went up on the three-story building catty-corner from Mast General. A Charleston company plans to overhaul the exterior and make it enticing at ground level. The SOLD sign is so new in appearance that it seems someone wanted to draw attention to the transition.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:40 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,709,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
The mayor seems to be on track and all over the place. Columbia hasn't had the kind of visionary leader that he seems to be since Mayor Finlay, the immensely improved town & gown relationship Mayor Coble forged notwithstanding. Coble did do a good job of continuing the development of the Vista to help make the entertainment and dining district what it is today. Mayor Benjamin has no intentions of dropping the ball on either the Vista's or Five Points' continued development, but he is putting a major emphasis on making Main Street second to none anywhere.
In no ways am I cast dispersions on Mayor Benjamin. I believe until Columbia changes its form of "small town" government (part time Mayor, 7 City Council Members, and the real person running the town a unknown, non-elected Business Manager responsible only to City Council), it will always be a "small town" no matter how large USC nor Fort Jackson is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area