Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 05:04 AM

12,978 posts, read 18,836,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
The black horse hitch railings in downtown Greenville are ugly in my opinion. And you can see as clearly as anyone that the palmetto trees on Main Street in Columbia are planted as accents. There are other young trees lining the entire corridor that are beginning to cast shade on the sidewalks, along with the mature oaks that have been there for years. No one expects Columbia's Main Street to have as much going on at this point as Greenville's entire downtown (Main Street). We've chosen not to pick up the Vista, Five Points, Finlay Park and Riverfront Park and cram them onto Main Street. And Transitions, the homeless services center, looks great. And no one is any better than the homeless, certainly not visitors who come looking for something to criticize in a city they hate.
Nothing is holding it back. And the next time you feel like mentioning the homeless, consider that one of them just might have preserved your freedom of speech to get on here and post your diatribes against Columbia.

Number of homeless veterans explodes - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Downtown Greenville is ONLY Main Street? You're a fool to state such. It's a shame that you won't step off Main to experience all that's offered. But, if it makes you feel better to compare to such, nothing will change your mind.
When I say Main Street in Columbia, I mean the side streets of the CBD, too. I'm talking about the general corridor. It's the same when I say Main Street in Greenville. Pick a sidewalk, any sidewalk in the Columbia CDB and start walking perpendicularly to Main Street. You'll be walking a long, long way before you run out of sidewalk and leave the urban footprint or grid. And during your walk you will pass things such as the Township Auditorium that just happens to not be on Main Street or in the CBD, or the State Museum that also just happens to be outside of the CBD, or the Vista, or Five Points, or Devine Street. Branch out a little.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:53 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,886,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
I have never felt drawn to Columbia's downtown.
I think this is a key point. When I have been on Columbia's Main Street, it has been because I had to go to a meeting. I've never been drawn to linger on Main Street. The vibe just isn't there to make people go "hey, lets spend an afternoon on Main.....eating, drinking, people watching, hanging out, having fun."

Old 07-26-2011, 06:07 AM

Stay tuned. Besides, anyone who can look up Main Street from the steps of the capitol and not feel compelled to walk up it because of the tree canopy alone is certainly missing a sense of adventure. And it's probably pretty hard to want to hang out on a city's main CBD street when you arrive with a pissy attitude toward it.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:19 AM

8,265 posts, read 13,422,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Without a doubt, this is the best statement I have seen on this board in a while. And, it is 100% true. For some, Columbia will never do anything right. And, that's fine, you always have some who claim to know all by stating such things as Whole Foods will not be in Columbia for many years because it is not on their website or stuffing carrots in frozen food dishes at Amy's is a better development than Amazon or my favorite..Haywood is like Lenox. You take the good with the bad. Most from Greenville contribute to this board in a positive way, some, well, not so much, in what ever name they are using.

But looking at the facts, being a realist as some would say, Main St has added 3 highrises in recent years adding to the downtown workforce, has streetscaped the parking area with a nice blend of trees and is starting to add retail. Additionally, more apartments/condos are appearing in renovated buildings which have great architectural details. That is not being a cheerleader, it is factual. And, this is happening while other downtown districts are developing towards Main and the river. Again, being a realist, Columbia has a very large downtown footprint. While there are many projects in development or under construction, they are not as concentrated into one area. One of the big challegnes is Assembly. Changing Assembly from a mini interstate to more of a city boulevard will do wonders for linking The Vista with Main.

With or without the homeless (Charlotte also has a homeless shelter on Tryon St and downtown Charlotte is doing great), Columbia should continue to do well for a number of reasons...1. The University is growing both in student population (while keeping high admission standards) and national exposure. 2. Across the country, downtowns are becoming more of a focal point once again, higher gas prices should accelerate this movement. 3. Columbia has a good mayor who seems intent on making the city better. Again, this is not cheerleading as some have suggested, no farting around here, it is factual.

Well said.. I think that this underscores.. the challenge for Cola's Main Street.. which I think it will overcome eventually. Columbia's 'downtown' or City Center is much more than Main Street..It includes Five Points, The Vista, and even USC massive footprint all have competed with Main Street in past..but now they are starting to complement it as it finds is own unique niche. With all of those competing interests it NEVER going to be the only game in town.. and thats fine. I think it will evolve into its own unique district and not necessarily the only or the central entertainment district for the City. I think improvements like the trails, Assembly Street, streetscapes and other linkages to the river would help. If Main Street was where Huger Street is.. we wouldnt be having this conversation because everything would likely be done by now.....

Secondly, why do you think Columbians or folks in general from the Midlands are so hard on the City? I imagine we have had our share of failures in the past .. which may be hard for some residents to forget and thus they are slow to embrace any new ideas. I admit that I often am critical of the City.. but moreso in a manner of wanting it to improve as opposed to simply downing it just for the hell of it..... Wonder if Charleston and Greenville have similiar issues...

Old 07-26-2011, 09:06 AM

I noted in a Greenvilleonline headline that some insisted on being heard about their concerns that Greenville's plan to make 10 miles of downtown streets more pedestrian- and cyclist-friendly would snag traffic and harm businesses. So yes, there are naysayers in every city. Columbians, however, too often fall into the trap of comparing their city to other SC cities that are inappropriate for comparisons because of entirely different issues both physical and otherwise that are unique to Columbia.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:10 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,621,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I think this is a key point. When I have been on Columbia's Main Street, it has been because I had to go to a meeting. I've never been drawn to linger on Main Street. The vibe just isn't there to make people go "hey, lets spend an afternoon on Main.....eating, drinking, people watching, hanging out, having fun."
To be fair, I lived in the upstate for over 20 years. Not once did I say "lets go downtown to hang out etc...". In fact, when I was downtown, I tended to get bored. While nice, it is not exciting in a way that has the wow factor. Sure, it has lot of nice little shops that are as fun to visit as the dentist but, it seems to be missing something.

The interesting thing when reading this thread about Columbia is that all agree that Greenville has a nice Main St. But, Columbia is not a city that will develop like Greenville, and should not work in that direction. As has been said, Columbia has a tremendous footprint, much larger than Greenville. Combining that with a state capital and major university creates an entirely different set of unique problems that need to be addressed.

The city has done a great job in developing many districts such as Five Points, USC, Main St., The Vista, The River Greenways etc.... There are a lot of apartments being built in town from ones on Assembly, Main and in The Vista. So, for anyone to suggest that Main and downtown are average is completely 100% wrong. For anyone who reads regularly, we know, sadly, the reason some from Greenville live in the Columbia threads.

The challenge for Columbia, and what the city continues to work towards is to create a linkage between the districts while they continue to develop. With the new buildings at Carolina, Assmebly has to be addressed.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:14 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,655,722 times
Quote:
To be fair, I lived in the upstate for over 20 years. Not once did I say "lets go downtown to hang out etc...". In fact, when I was downtown, I tended to get bored. While nice, it is not exciting in a way that has the wow factor. Sure, it has lot of nice little shops that are as fun to visit as the dentist but, it seems to be missing something.

The interesting thing when reading this thread about Columbia is that all agree that Greenville has a nice Main St. But, Columbia is not a city that will develop like Greenville, and should not work in that direction. As has been said, Columbia has a tremendous footprint, much larger than Greenville. Combining that with a state capital and major university creates an entirely different set of unique problems that need to be addressed.

The city has done a great job in developing many districts such as Five Points, USC, Main St., The Vista, The River Greenways etc.... There are a lot of apartments being built in town from ones on Assembly, Main and in The Vista. So, for anyone to suggest that Main and downtown are average is completely 100% wrong. For anyone who reads regularly, we know, sadly, the reason some from Greenville live in the Columbia threads.

The challenge for Columbia, and what the city continues to work towards is to create a linkage between the districts while they continue to develop. With the new buildings at Carolina, Assmebly has to be addressed.
If only back in the day they could have avoided making Assembly an interstate like road. Of course back then everyone wanted to leave the city as fast as they could to get to the burbs.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,621,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
If only back in the day they could have avoided making Assembly an interstate like road. Of course back then everyone wanted to leave the city as fast as they could to get to the burbs.
Very true....the fortunate thing is that Assembly has the structure to be the best city road in SC. But, the state and city will have to come to agreements on funding and plans. The width of the street provides a ton of options on rebuilding the road.

Almost forgot, someone asked earlier why those in Columbia are harder on the city. I agree with that assessment. I spent over 20 years in the upstate and surprise, folks from Greenville were very very high on the city. And, that is not bad...although you do get tired of hearing how great the area is and then you see a city like Charlotte, well I won't go there. But, Columbia has a ton to be pleased with. I like that the city is not stale, it seems to have a vibe. While hard to describe, I see more of the diversity (political, demographic etc...) that is present in Charlotte in Columbia. There are business men/women, college students, professors, and many other professionals working around town. I have yet to visit Columbia when there are not people moving in many directions. I see groups of people on Main, The Vista, Five Points, the museums etc....that is nice to see.

The only answers I have are that Columbia is a capital city, government in SC is not highly respected and some hate Carolina and blame the school for bad things and Columbia for letting it happen. While it does not make sense, neither does a lot of things in life.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:15 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,655,722 times
Quote:
Very true....the fortunate thing is that Assembly has the structure to be the best city road in SC. But, the state and city will have to come to agreements on funding and plans. The width of the street provides a ton of options on rebuilding the road.

Almost forgot, someone asked earlier why those in Columbia are harder on the city. I agree with that assessment. I spent over 20 years in the upstate and surprise, folks from Greenville were very very high on the city. And, that is not bad...although you do get tired of hearing how great the area is and then you see a city like Charlotte, well I won't go there. But, Columbia has a ton to be pleased with. I like that the city is not stale, it seems to have a vibe. While hard to describe, I see more of the diversity (political, demographic etc...) that is present in Charlotte in Columbia. There are business men/women, college students, professors, and many other professionals working around town. I have yet to visit Columbia when there are not people moving in many directions. I see groups of people on Main, The Vista, Five Points, the museums etc....that is nice to see.

The only answers I have are that Columbia is a capital city, government in SC is not highly respected and some hate Carolina and blame the school for bad things and Columbia for letting it happen. While it does not make sense, neither does a lot of things in life.
The width does give a lot of options... hopefully they incorporate a large median, bike lanes, and wide sidewalks. I never understood the purpose of all the parking meters in the middle of the road. They are underused and difficult/annoying to park at.

Many people in Columbia put down their own city, probably for the reasons you described. Most people have an issue with at least one politician which makes it easy to blame the city for all their problems. Also, if someone isn't a USC fan, they have a tendency to put down the city as well. Most people think USC has too much control over the city and their decisions. If people would open their eyes they would see how much having these entities located in our city is a great thing instead of a reason to be embarrassed, then we would have a happier set of people in the area. A lot of people seem to be content to living in the pristine suburbs of Richland and Lexington counties than actually create a community in the city. Some enjoy the soulless feeling they get when they drive home on their respective interstates to their cookie cutter houses. I hope they realize how their life could actually be sooner rather than later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area