Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 06:10 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,878,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
I had no idea. If it's such a bad area, then why is it quickly highlighted as a benefit to new posters here when they come asking for suggestions?
I think everybody is aware, everybody just doesn't want to acknowledge it......sweep the issue under the rug so to speak.

Last year, there were like three or four shootings within a few months time. That was huge news. Here is an article.

Another Five Points shooting leaves one injured - WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina |

Does Five Points have a police substation? Police patrols on bicycles or horseback? Seems the area needs it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 06:47 AM

257 posts, read 328,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Just trying to point out some obvious public safety issues, here.

Go ahead and mislead people about the public safety issues in Columbia. I sure will not, especially after what me and my wife went through when we lived in that (horrible) place.
This is a very sad and unfortunate incident and I hope the punks who did this get the book thrown at them, but who exactly is misleading people about public safety issues in Columbia? Where is that coming from and why does it even matter enough for someone who doesn't live here to start a thread about it? I don't see anyone from Columbia starting a thread about how people are getting robbed at Haywood Mall in broad daylight (outside in the parking lot, not at the cash registers).

Old 06-24-2011, 07:20 AM

12,956 posts, read 18,813,886 times
The bigger story here is that there is obviously a subculture at work in and around the city and suburbs of Columbia that the city police department and county sheriffs' departments are working hard to address. The group responsible for this crime obviously have not been reached by those efforts.

In the meantime, while there may be places where one would feel safe jogging alone after midnight in the downtown area of a significantly sized city, a city with Columbia's demographics might not be the best place to do so. It's kind of like living in Australia for quality of life while realizing you'd better watch where you step in your own back yard due to poisonous creatures.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:29 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,461,748 times
There are horror stories everywhere -- a family was robbed at knifepoint at Concord Mills, also broad daylight. A high school football player traveling from up north to a camp in Florida was killed in a robbery in Durham outside of an Outback Steakhouse. Read any city paper -- it's a daily event in many. All cities have problems -- including Charleston, Columbia and Greenville.

The above point about jogging in downtown of any city that late at night is also right. BUT, this young man may have done this lots of times before -- when the Carolina students are out in large numbers. He may have forgotten that Five Points gets a lot more isolated during the summer, late at night.

My prayers for his speedy and full recovery and that his eyesight is not permanently impaired.

My prayers also that speedy and full justice crash down on the thugs that attacked him.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:50 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,580,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post

The above point about jogging in downtown of any city that late at night is also right. BUT, this young man may have done this lots of times before -- when the Carolina students are out in large numbers. He may have forgotten that Five Points gets a lot more isolated during the summer, late at night.
Five Points is only isolated from masses of more intelligent, college students, but still very much well-attended. Perhaps that what you mean to say? It's no ghost town, just more locals.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:29 AM

A bit curious.....with all the news stories out there about this horrible crime, haven't seen a statement from Benjamin. Maybe I missed it.
You would think, with a crime this bad, in a high profile area, you might see some sort of condemnation of the crime by the mayor or some sort of reassurance to upstanding citizens by the mayor.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:39 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,461,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Five Points is only isolated from masses of more intelligent, college students, but still very much well-attended. Perhaps that what you mean to say? It's no ghost town, just more locals.
Just that the late-night crowd size is smaller during the summer months.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:29 PM

12,956 posts, read 18,813,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
A bit curious.....with all the news stories out there about this horrible crime, haven't seen a statement from Benjamin. Maybe I missed it.
You would think, with a crime this bad, in a high profile area, you might see some sort of condemnation of the crime by the mayor or some sort of reassurance to upstanding citizens by the mayor.
He's in Paris recruiting aerospace firms.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
He's in Paris recruiting aerospace firms.
Thanks. Maybe he'll use his Blackberry, since this story of the 8 thugs has migrated its way to national news.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:12 PM

257 posts, read 328,345 times
The local Greenville station doesn't count as national news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area