Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,620,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Yeah, I just checked out the Dean & Deluca website, as I didn't realize there was one in Charlotte. Their locations list is pretty crazy!

New York, of course. DC. Napa Valley (but not San Francisco or LA or anyplace else in CA). Charlotte. And Kansas City (???). And then a crapload of stores in Japan, several in the Middle East, three in Thailand, of all places, and a store in Seoul and one on the way in Turkey.

So no Dean & Deluca's in Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, SF, LA, Seattle, Portland, Boston, Philly, etc., etc.

But three in Bangkok?

Strange.
The Dean & DeLuca at Philips Place has been there forever. Currently it is expanding. I can't remember how it came to Charlotte but, it was one of the first tenants for Philips Place. There are at least two others, Stonecrest and downtown, that I know of in Charlotte. The one downtown does a great lunch businesss.

Whole Foods is going in about 1/2 mile from Dean & Deluca. This is another classic example of why folks who think their city is superior because of retailers are 100% wrong. Charlotte can support a Dean & Deluca for many years but not a Whole Foods, makes no sense. Same logic applies to Columbia. The city has demographics as good or better than any place in SC. Yet, the city is overlooked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 06:41 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,078,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
The Dean & DeLuca at Philips Place has been there forever. Currently it is expanding. I can't remember how it came to Charlotte but, it was one of the first tenants for Philips Place. There are at least two others, Stonecrest and downtown, that I know of in Charlotte. The one downtown does a great lunch businesss.

Whole Foods is going in about 1/2 mile from Dean & Deluca. This is another classic example of why folks who think their city is superior because of retailers are 100% wrong. Charlotte can support a Dean & Deluca for many years but not a Whole Foods, makes no sense. Same logic applies to Columbia. The city has demographics as good or better than any place in SC. Yet, the city is overlooked.
When reading the article about the folks from Whole Foods wanting a feel for the feng shui of a site and all, we can only conclude that this retailer in particular is very, very picky in terms of where they locate. It's not that the demographics weren't there to support it, but it was a matter of finding the "perfect" site.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:08 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,656,990 times
Quote:
It not all about demographics or money. Cracker Barrel shopped around Aiken for over 10 YEARS before choosing a site. 10 freaking years! They wanted just the right spot. The land they needed wasn't available until recently. It's crazy what goes into places coming to an area.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:10 PM

12,972 posts, read 18,825,161 times
And I'm convinced there's something about a local populace being all about patronizing their home-grown retail establishments. No matter what moves in, local businesses were here first and local shoppers appreciate them. Columbia loves local. Chains might just have to wait longer in some cities and metros to feel comfortable that there will be enough shoppers to patronize them.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:22 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,620,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
When reading the article about the folks from Whole Foods wanting a feel for the feng shui of a site and all, we can only conclude that this retailer in particular is very, very picky in terms of where they locate. It's not that the demographics weren't there to support it, but it was a matter of finding the "perfect" site.
I know, I read that as well. But, I have seen Whole Foods stores in typical suburban strip centers. I guess it does not matter at this point but, retail site selection is sometimes an inexact science. I know there is a large degree is being particular with site selection but, I have a hard time believing that Columbia or Charlotte lacked in good sites. It has never made sense. Anyway, Whole Foods is coming and that will be good for the city's retail scene. And, with Basil, this should be a good center. Maybe other retailers will take notice.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:06 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,588,474 times
Quote:
I know, I read that as well. But, I have seen Whole Foods stores in typical suburban strip centers. I guess it does not matter at this point but, retail site selection is sometimes an inexact science. I know there is a large degree is being particular with site selection but, I have a hard time believing that Columbia or Charlotte lacked in good sites. It has never made sense. Anyway, Whole Foods is coming and that will be good for the city's retail scene. And, with Basil, this should be a good center. Maybe other retailers will take notice.
I hope so - more high end men's clothing stores would make me happy. I'm not greedy. <EG>

Old 05-03-2012, 08:13 PM

5,596 posts, read 15,407,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
And I'm convinced there's something about a local populace being all about patronizing their home-grown retail establishments. No matter what moves in, local businesses were here first and local shoppers appreciate them. Columbia loves local. Chains might just have to wait longer in some cities and metros to feel comfortable that there will be enough shoppers to patronize them.
I agree, we love our local businesses as well. However, one ought to consider the fact that two similar (albeit smaller) non-local natural food chains have been sufficiently patronized by Midlands residents for quite a while. What Whole Foods Market brings to the table is an improved shopping experience (better product selection, more variety of natural specialty products, lots of great events, attentive and helpful customer service in every department, etc.) plus strong support of local/regional farming. WFM is much less menacing than most large national retailers and will undoubtedly be well supported in Columbia.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Whole Foods is coming and that will be good for the city's retail scene. And, with Basil, this should be a good center. Maybe other retailers will take notice.
Is that the shopping center where Maverick Southern Kitchens is planning to open a new 'Charleston Cooks!' store, or am I thinking of another place?

Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,654,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Is that the shopping center where Maverick Southern Kitchens is planning to open a new 'Charleston Cooks!' store, or am I thinking of another place?
That's the one.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
You're right, the Whole Foods Market in Greenville is nice. I'm sure the one in Columbia will be my "go to" health food store.

As for Wegmans, it is my favorite supermarket. However, I do not see them coming this far south.
According to the site plan posted above (or somewhere in another thread), the new WFM in Columbia will be 32,700 square feet. The store in Mt. Pleasant is 45,423 square feet. Having never visited any of their smaller stores (several in California are approximately 20,000 sf), I am interested in their layout and focus versus their larger stores (50,000-60,000+ sf). Considering the size of many supermarkets these days, I thought the one in Greenville was on the small side at 47,000 square feet. It is tightly packed with a nice variety of products, but could easily be expanded without feeling enormous, in my opinion. Would anyone be willing to explain how they effectively utilize a smaller footprint? I know why they build smaller stores, but am interested in how they are laid out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area