Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:57 AM

12,989 posts, read 18,849,469 times

Advertisements

Probably more efficiently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 08:33 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,416,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
According to the site plan posted above (or somewhere in another thread), the new WFM in Columbia will be 32,700 square feet. The store in Mt. Pleasant is 45,423 square feet. Having never visited any of their smaller stores (several in California are approximately 20,000 sf), I am interested in their layout and focus versus their larger stores (50,000-60,000+ sf). Considering the size of many supermarkets these days, I thought the one in Greenville was on the small side at 47,000 square feet. It is tightly packed with a nice variety of products, but could easily be expanded without feeling enormous, in my opinion. Would anyone be willing to explain how they effectively utilize a smaller footprint? I know why they build smaller stores, but am interested in how they are laid out.
This may give you a little peek. This is a news blurb from Greensboro leading up to the opening of that store, which is 34,000 sqft. Public tours new Whole Foods store days before opening | MyFOX8.com

The one in Winston-Salem is around 30,000 sqft, and it doesn't feel cramped. As I recall, it has produce to the right as you enter, with health/beauty to the left, and fresh seafood and meat counters behind that. Then there are the aisles of dry and canned goods moving across the store with coolers at the rear. After those, the store opens up with the prepared food bars, some tables, a cheese counter, dairy coolers, etc. There's nothing particularly novel about the layout. The aisles are efficient, but not crowded. It doesn't feel particularly small.

Then again, the stores in Chicago are all around 30k sqft, too, and so are the ones in the Triangle. Heck, the one in Durham is 22k. So I guess 32k will feel about right.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,623,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
According to the site plan posted above (or somewhere in another thread), the new WFM in Columbia will be 32,700 square feet. The store in Mt. Pleasant is 45,423 square feet. Having never visited any of their smaller stores (several in California are approximately 20,000 sf), I am interested in their layout and focus versus their larger stores (50,000-60,000+ sf). Considering the size of many supermarkets these days, I thought the one in Greenville was on the small side at 47,000 square feet. It is tightly packed with a nice variety of products, but could easily be expanded without feeling enormous, in my opinion. Would anyone be willing to explain how they effectively utilize a smaller footprint? I know why they build smaller stores, but am interested in how they are laid out.
When you say you know why they build smaller stores, what do you mean? Can you explain why they build smaller stores? Their new store at SouthPark is only 39k sq feet.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:02 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,271,080 times
Some stores are opting for a smaller footprint for many reasons. Less upkeep, utility savings, ability to infill in urban locations, less parking required, etc. I can't recall the exact numbers but IIRC an average grocery store stocks about 45,000 items while the smaller stores stock about 35,000. The reduction isn't always due to reduced offerings, often it is due to fewer offerings of the same item and elimination of non-grocery products.

Here is an article that explains it a little:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/10/bu...=1&oref=slogin

Old 05-08-2012, 03:31 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,623,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
Some stores are opting for a smaller footprint for many reasons. Less upkeep, utility savings, ability to infill in urban locations, less parking required, etc. I can't recall the exact numbers but IIRC an average grocery store stocks about 45,000 items while the smaller stores stock about 35,000. The reduction isn't always due to reduced offerings, often it is due to fewer offerings of the same item and elimination of non-grocery products.

Here is an article that explains it a little:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/10/bu...=1&oref=slogin
Thanks, makes perfect sense. Zoning restrictions for infill locations such as Whole Foods Columbia may also contribute to the smaller formats (the WH at Southpark is in such a tight space that parking is below the store). A smaller store could also mean that they are planning another store, maybe in the Irmo and/or Killian Road areas.

In the sports section of The State, they mentioned that a gym owned by a former Gamecock will be in the Whole Foods center. Looks like he is serious about nutrition, the article's main point was how he is working with Columbia area restaurants to provide healthy options. This is turning out to be a nice center.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:44 PM

Maybe Columbians are slimmer.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:14 PM

12 posts, read 27,701 times
Cross Hill Market just announced on facebook that Ulta Beauty will be opening this fall.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:01 AM

Rosewood Market took a hit when Earth Fare opened and will take another one when Whole Foods opens, but it has a loyal following.

Whole Foods to shake up local organic market scene - DatelineCarolina

Old 05-19-2012, 08:37 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,201,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Rosewood Market took a hit when Earth Fare opened and will take another one when Whole Foods opens, but it has a loyal following.

Whole Foods to shake up local organic market scene - DatelineCarolina
This is an interesting article. I seldom shop at Rosewood Market. However, I do go there on rare occasions. I think that when Whole Foods opens I will still go to Rosewood Market on rare occasions; that probably will not change. On the other hand, when Whole Foods opens, I do not anticipate shopping at Earth Fare at all.

So, as for my shopping behavior, the arrival of Whole Foods will have a greater impact on Earth Fare than Rosewood Market.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:05 PM

61 posts, read 80,066 times
The news of Whole Foods coming in has had an effect on the area. Moe's and Smashburger are both coming to the area near Cross Hill Market. Edens (the developer of Cross Hill) also stated he is excited over the anouncement of the final restaurant.

Development Boom in Southeast Columbia | wltx.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area