Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2020, 05:42 AM

229 posts, read 395,607 times

Advertisements

i did prefer steak ‘n shake over freddys. freddys just doesn’t have anything special to them. i remember when they first opened and now their line is non existant. still not much great choices of food over there. chickfila kinda get tired of but it’s great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 11:46 AM

518 posts, read 436,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsm76 View Post
They’re building an Arby’s right next to the irmo Freddys location. That Has to be the final nail in the coffin for freddys. Ironic thing is the chick fil not even a hundreds yards away Is slammed all day long.
I have never NOT seen a long line at the Chick-Fil-A on Killian. And it only got worse during Covid-19. They ramped up the drive-thru like champs. I imagine they are one of the businesses that are actually doing better than this time last year. I have no numbers to back that guess up.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:52 PM

177 posts, read 122,377 times
For the top golf Columbia could totally support one. People need to quit looking at Columbia as a crap hole that cant support basic entertainment when that is EXACTLY what we are starved for. Sorry but we need to diversify the Irmo area to the NE side of Richland County. Putting it in Killian would serve the area well to include interstate traffic. Right now Harbsion has Star and Strikes, Dave and Busters, Frankies Fun park, PLEX, and at some point probably after covid Urban Air.

Steak and Shake suffered terribly from horrible customer service and very long waits like up to and over 1hr per visit which is ridiculous. Freddy's business has picked up while not slammed it does have consistently 3-4 people in line through the day.

We don't need a Rushes here we are over saturated with burgers as it is.

BurgerIM for what its worth has really good chicken sandwiches.

Old 12-14-2020, 10:04 PM

246 posts, read 201,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docka View Post

I'd like to try the falafel and the Greek lamb sandwiches. Needless to say, you're not going to find those at the mainstream burger places. Must be the Israeli/Mediterranean influence.

Does anyone know where you could get a good doner kebab sandwich in the Columbia area, besides that German-themed food truck (Wurst Wagen)? Nothing against Wurst Wagen, but food trucks are a pain in the *** to track down, and from their menu, their doner is beef, whereas authentic German/Turkish doner is lamb or either lamb/beef combined.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:09 AM

333 posts, read 215,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docka View Post

We don't need a Rushes here we are over saturated with burgers as it is.

I am really tired of the same old restaurants on Killian. We need diversification. I would love to see an authentic Greek restaurant, Peruvian, Vegetarian etc. Lexington/Irmo has all of these but we just end up with the same burger/fast food chains.

Side note: A Top Golf would do very well at the Killian location. The interstate is there and it is one of the most populous spots in the Columbia metro area for the middle class and it is still growing. It would do just as well or even better at Harbison but it may not be the main attraction there. The Otarre Point location in Cayce on the 12th St Ext could be viable in the future when that area gets the Outlet mall and if it continues to expand but I don't think it would be as popular as the other two locations mentioned.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:35 AM

246 posts, read 201,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
I am really tired of the same old restaurants on Killian. We need diversification. I would love to see an authentic Greek restaurant, Peruvian, Vegetarian etc. Lexington/Irmo has all of these but we just end up with the same burger/fast food chains.

Side note: A Top Golf would do very well at the Killian location. The interstate is there and it is one of the most populous spots in the Columbia metro area for the middle class and it is still growing. It would do just as well or even better at Harbison but it may not be the main attraction there. The Otarre Point location in Cayce on the 12th St Ext could be viable in the future when that area gets the Outlet mall and if it continues to expand but I don't think it would be as popular as the other two locations mentioned.

Errrrr... Peruvian?... in Killian? Not sure about that. That strikes me as pretty much of an all-American, meat-and-potatoes demographic out that way, lot of retired and even active duty military, at least I get that vibe from being in the various stores. Nothing wrong with that --- to say the least --- just stating the fact. It isn't Forest Acres or Shandon.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM42A View Post
Errrrr... Peruvian?... in Killian? Not sure about that. That strikes me as pretty much of an all-American, meat-and-potatoes demographic out that way, lot of retired and even active duty military, at least I get that vibe from being in the various stores. Nothing wrong with that --- to say the least --- just stating the fact. It isn't Forest Acres or Shandon.
Ummm when you have a heavy military footprint that means that you have people from all over the country and people that have experienced different cultures and foods. That SHOULD be one of the target groups that restaurants like that are focused on. Sadly, the only thing that they look at are racial demographics and income. With it being a heavy population of African Americans all they throw at us are your normal fast food/high calorie options. If you go over to Lexington then you'll see they have a diverse selection of restaurants. Everyday I hear someone complaining about not having healthier options than the grease-filled meals that they are serving. It's insulting and despicable.

Old 12-16-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Ummm when you have a heavy military footprint that means that you have people from all over the country and people that have experienced different cultures and foods. That SHOULD be one of the target groups that restaurants like that are focused on. Sadly, the only thing that they look at are racial demographics and income. With it being a heavy population of African Americans all they throw at us are your normal fast food/high calorie options. If you go over to Lexington then you'll see they have a diverse selection of restaurants. Everyday I hear someone complaining about not having healthier options than the grease-filled meals that they are serving. It's insulting and despicable.
Our diverse population doesn't want diverse food. They just want Chicken Wings. I go on this rant every month or so, but we have a very pedestrian crowd that doesn't want to try new things.

We have Mexican places that do well, but they are mostly the same. The chinese places are all low end stuff that are full of wing deals. Go visit any asian place in the NE and you will see wings ordered about 2/3 of the time. It kills any motivation for the restaurant to try anything new when the demographics just want ****ty wings.

We had Santorini Grill about 10 years ago on Hard Scrabble, and that was very good greek/italian food. But the locals didn't want anything they can't get at pizza hut or a wing joint.

Old 12-16-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
Our diverse population doesn't want diverse food. They just want Chicken Wings. I go on this rant every month or so, but we have a very pedestrian crowd that doesn't want to try new things.

We have Mexican places that do well, but they are mostly the same. The chinese places are all low end stuff that are full of wing deals. Go visit any asian place in the NE and you will see wings ordered about 2/3 of the time. It kills any motivation for the restaurant to try anything new when the demographics just want ****ty wings.

We had Santorini Grill about 10 years ago on Hard Scrabble, and that was very good greek/italian food. But the locals didn't want anything they can't get at pizza hut or a wing joint.
I disagree to a certain extent.

1. Yes, If I go to a "counter order" chinese restaurant then yes I will order wings. There are only wings, ribs, and some other variation of chicken served at these types of spots. What else are you supposed to order???These places are EVERYHWERE in every state.

2. That Santorini Grill was in a location where everything went out of business. There were two grocery stores at the intersection and they both went O.O.B. Including most of the businesses in those strips. The location wasn't great being away from the main highway but every time I passed by there they had atleast half of the parking lot full, and the building itself sat back away from the road.

I do agree with you that fast food restaurants do last longer, but that's almost the case anywhere. People trust the names they are familiar with. There is nothing wrong with having a Greek restaurant here and a Peruvian restaurant there, but if there are multiple then they have to compete with each other. That divides the already lower percentage of people that eat there because of there larger families, schedules etc. Olive Garden on two notch has been there forever and still gets good business because it's in a busy area and people know the name (Even though the quality isn't as good). The numbers should show that there is an oversaturation of burger joints and that people are looking for something different.

Old 12-17-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I disagree to a certain extent.

1. Yes, If I go to a "counter order" chinese restaurant then yes I will order wings. There are only wings, ribs, and some other variation of chicken served at these types of spots. What else are you supposed to order???These places are EVERYHWERE in every state.

2. That Santorini Grill was in a location where everything went out of business. There were two grocery stores at the intersection and they both went O.O.B. Including most of the businesses in those strips. The location wasn't great being away from the main highway but every time I passed by there they had atleast half of the parking lot full, and the building itself sat back away from the road.

I do agree with you that fast food restaurants do last longer, but that's almost the case anywhere. People trust the names they are familiar with. There is nothing wrong with having a Greek restaurant here and a Peruvian restaurant there, but if there are multiple then they have to compete with each other. That divides the already lower percentage of people that eat there because of there larger families, schedules etc. Olive Garden on two notch has been there forever and still gets good business because it's in a busy area and people know the name (Even though the quality isn't as good). The numbers should show that there is an oversaturation of burger joints and that people are looking for something different.
Santorini Grill was actually where the current San Jose's is now. I was told that is the busiest San Jose in town. Just like you ordering the wings, it is all most people order. They don't know enough about Chinese to even order anything else when it is available.

I went to Brueggers Bagel's today on Taylor. Reminded me, we need a Bagel shop on Killian Rd. I don't consider Panera to be a bagel shop, they just put the bagel in a bag, maybe cut and then the cream cheese is in a pre-packaged cup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area