Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2022, 07:32 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,276,373 times

Advertisements

Well damn. I could see this coming. You snooze you lose. Findman Kirkley or whatever his name is got his wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 08:06 PM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestcracker View Post
Looks like the proposed Convention Center development is dead for now, or at least on the same scale

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...259762730.html
Yeah lets see what his Plan B is.. He is a developer so he is always going to keep his options open.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Columbia Once again missing out on potential Billions. and we wonder why we are losing out to places like Charlotte, Greenville, Charleston.
Richland County having cold feet doesnt surprise me.. They are still trying to get Richland Renaissance or whatever its called now off the ground and have all those holdings at Columbia Place. They probably cannot afford it financially or politically. People in the NE, Lower Richland and the NW/Harbison would go nuts over this deal. NW would likely want to break off and join Lexington...

The Mayor and City Council also seem lukewarm.. They probably want BullStreet to start paying off and there are alot of other projects that have more political support from neighborhood community leaders that they can focus on.. I cant imagine many neighborhood presidents wanting to see the Convention Center expanded if it means their streets, neighborhood park improvement, or after school program may not get funded. I think this is one of the criticisms that was launched at Benjamin.. that he cared more about visitors and would be tourists than the people that actually lived here.. Not saying its true but I heard that a few times.

Old 03-28-2022, 08:29 PM

403 posts, read 235,096 times
https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...259302324.html

Article from the State about the status of river front development. Hopefully once Dominion is done with coal tar clean up Finlay Park renovations and Bull Street obligations will be fulfilled so the city can move on this. Adding a unique river front park that connects the greenways would be a game changer. It’s way past due.

Old 03-29-2022, 06:12 AM

1,124 posts, read 927,896 times
Quote:

Article from the State about the status of river front development. Hopefully once Dominion is done with coal tar clean up Finlay Park renovations and Bull Street obligations will be fulfilled so the city can move on this. Adding a unique river front park that connects the greenways would be a game changer. It’s way past due.
It’ll fall through just like the convention center proposal and just about every other “game changer” in Columbia like the Kline Site.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:37 AM

757 posts, read 569,000 times
Quote:

I remember the proposed park in the Sasaki Plan very well, but the flood made me wonder if it's actually a workable idea. Extending the Three Rivers Greenway would be cool, but also very expensive and I wonder about impact.

The challenge with the Congaree River, apart from the potential for flooding, is that it's...broad (forgive the pun). Unfortunately this means less potential for a unified riverfront presence as one would have to cross the Gervais Street Bridge to enjoy both sides. There's a potential development argument as the West Columbia riverfront has really transformed, but that's a very long-term build.

Old 03-29-2022, 05:57 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,338,710 times
Default Kline Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
It’ll fall through just like the convention center proposal and just about every other “game changer” in Columbia like the Kline Site.

is the field at the corner of Blossom and Huger behind Todd Moore sporting goods DOA too? They had said they were going to build retail there.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:05 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,847,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
is the field at the corner of Blossom and Huger behind Todd Moore sporting goods DOA too? They had said they were going to build retail there.
Haven’t heard anything about the apartment building or retail building on that property in a long time.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Haven’t heard anything about the apartment building or retail building on that property in a long time.
Maybe a car wash is in the works for the site ......queue Rose Royce..."Heeeey get your Caaar Washed todaaaay"

Old 03-30-2022, 05:46 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,276,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Maybe a car wash is in the works for the site ......queue Rose Royce..."Heeeey get your Caaar Washed todaaaay"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
These comments made me chuckle.

I think the pessimism is warranted. The owner(s) of the Kline site are going to take the property to their graves. I think it'll still be a vacant lot by the time I get issued a walker. As for the Convention center flub, it's a loss because Ben Arnold really wanted something grand and premier. Columbia wasn't ready for that and is more focused on "... fixing Finlay Park, putting power lines underground downtown, fixing the Columbia Canal and cleaning up the appearance of the city as a whole. (The current Convention Center proposal) just introduces a huge amount of risk.”

I can't imagine our city leaders being the life of any party but I hope at least they stick to their damned words and follow through the housekeeping maintenance of the city as opposed to this city changing project. I thought this Rickenmann guy was all about attracting business and getting more properties on tax rolls. He'll eventually do it, but on a less grand scale. Now these properties will be getting a moderate investment and will fall inline to a more pedestrian-Columbia way of blowing big opportunities. Tow the line, Rickenmann!

“I thank Ben for taking a step back,” Mayor Daniel Rickenmann said in a statement Friday afternoon.

I'm sure you all can feel my disappointment from 6,000 miles away...

Here's the article from The State that got me going on this tangent:

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...s%20-%20MASTER
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area