Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 02:55 PM

10,963 posts, read 21,976,886 times

Advertisements

Isn't Garret's Grill and Grog an Irish Pub also?

Myers Creek subdivision is primarily military with a good mix of Ft. Jackson, Shaw, and MacEntyre personnel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 03:46 PM

17 posts, read 50,608 times
Location wise for my commute, I think that the SE side would be ideal, however, from my wife's research, she has concluded that the schools zoned there are very sub-par compared to NE and other parts of Columbia. So, she has her mind made up that that is out of the question. We would probably reconsider under perfect circumstances, but I'm definiently willing to drive a few more miles each way if the disparity in the schools is really that bad.

*Disclaimer- all of our school info has come from posts on here and from greatschools.net (which lists national test scores)*

All these replies are great btw, and Matt I owe you a beer or if you're not a drinker, then non-alchoholic beverage of choice.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:01 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Isn't Garret's Grill and Grog an Irish Pub also?

Myers Creek subdivision is primarily military with a good mix of Ft. Jackson, Shaw, and MacEntyre personnel.
I don't recall Garrett's having an Irish menu on the couple of occasions that I've been in there, but Delaney's does. Once I find out the name of the place on Two Notch I'll look up their menu, too. I'm sure there are other Irish places, too, I'm just not familiar with them. Speaking of Irish, the St. Patty's Day Parade and Festival is coming up on March 15th in Five Points. Air2, I'm always up for a beer, lol.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:01 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,559,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by air2mud82 View Post
Well, its official SC, here we come. My wife has decided for me that I want to buy a house on the NE side (to allow a daily commute toward Sumter) and I think I am good with it.... providing that after a Saturday afternoon bike ride I can come home and find the shade of some trees to read a book under and hang out with the kids. It would be nice to if these same trees shaded my house to keep the A/C $$$$ down. My first question would be - is this easily found in the communities around the VAS area or going towards Elgin? Can't get too far North or my daily commute will be out of my 30 mile allowance. It appears that most of the single-family homes in my price-range ($150k-ish) are in the gated communities, but I worry that they have all been clear-cut to make room. Regardless, with housing prices and the schools, I think we are sold on the area.

How about gyms, rec centers, rock climbing gyms, anything athletic, other than golf, in the immediate area? A short drive perhaps?

Secondly, after the kids go down in the evening, is there a decent sports bar or pub in that part of town? Sunday/Monday night football with the guys is a must, and if I can find a little Irish pub that is a huge plus! Guinness and New Castle are some of the simple pleasures in life.

These are just the important questions -- my wife is still looking into schools and jobs!

Again, thanks ahead -- and please quit adding to the "missing in..." thread

Mike
It took me awhile, but I finally found out the name of the Irish Pub that is out in Northeast Columbia. it is called Ktee's and there was a review of it in the paper that I just found. In Five Points, in addition to Delaney's Irish Pub, there is also the Publick House, which I had forgotten about. Here is the article about Ktee's and a link to their website.

The State | 03/14/2008 | Ktee’s Irish Pub is the real deal (broken link)

Ktee's Irish Pub & Restaurant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area