Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2021, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,433 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if retiring to the Columbia area would be a good idea for a multi generational and multi racial family. We have lived in Omaha NE our whole lives and are looking into the Columbia area. Retired AF, retired USPS, and retired Public School teacher. We are tired of the snow and cold and are looking for a change. We love the ocean and the fact that it is close is a huge plus. Our main objection to Omaha are the taxes and the cold. The property taxes are very high along with taxing all pensions and social security. Any thoughts? We are looking at Phoenix area too. Not sure that I could handle all of the brown landscape. Our ages range from 72 to five. Three generations. Any feedback would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 07:06 AM

8,252 posts, read 13,387,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBcounselor View Post
I am wondering if retiring to the Columbia area would be a good idea for a multi generational and multi racial family. We have lived in Omaha NE our whole lives and are looking into the Columbia area. Retired AF, retired USPS, and retired Public School teacher. We are tired of the snow and cold and are looking for a change. We love the ocean and the fact that it is close is a huge plus. Our main objection to Omaha are the taxes and the cold. The property taxes are very high along with taxing all pensions and social security. Any thoughts? We are looking at Phoenix area too. Not sure that I could handle all of the brown landscape. Our ages range from 72 to five. Three generations. Any feedback would be helpful!
I would think Columbia and SC in general would be a good fit for you..Proximity to the coast the mountains is good not to mention to urban areas like Charlotte and Atlanta. Being on the east coast you also have access to eastern seaboard if that is of interest to you. I can speak on taxes other than no one that I know has ever moved to SC and complained about taxes.. though long term natives may have opinion. Columbia itself has Lake Murray and plenty of walking trails, museums, Riverbanks Zoo, and other amenities that could entertain everyone in your household. Traffic is no where near Omaha or Phoenix in addition to the cost of living.

Coincidentally, I went to a conference in Omaha a few years ago.. and it was not what I expected (in a positive way) it was in May.. so it wasnt too bad for me.. but I can imagine the winters would be rough. I had a great steak in the Old Market area too.

Old 01-11-2021, 11:57 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,770,499 times
KB

Two suburbs of Columbia you should consider are Lexington and Blythewood. I retired here (a Yankee in Dixie) and I love it. The area has everything one could want them more. Plenty of new construction in both areas. New home can be had for less than $250.00. Most will be in a Home Owners Association so become familiar with HOA's.

Old 02-09-2021, 05:11 PM

678 posts, read 801,186 times
Be aware that the taxes are higher in Richland than Lexington county. This region is not a bad place to live imo.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:10 AM

346 posts, read 309,845 times
WOW! I once considered Phoenix but ended up not doing it, as well as Vegas, and then Omaha to get closer to New England from the west coast. I loved the idea of going to Omaha but the COLD I would not like, so Columbia SC is it! I am moving there soon. but no I see what u mean, u were going in the right direction but some pitfalls got me about Omaha like the cold, and one more.. inexpensive rents often required u to make 3X the income just to live there even if I could do it off 800 a month with saved cash also. I am talking like 550 buck places with full kitchen and 1 bdrm, 1 bath, clean too. I couldnt get in because I has to make 3X what I make each month. Its like how will these be rented out? So to someone moving in new, it wasn't made easier to settle in. and it is cold, again too. Enough people did seem nice, but is it SC nice, I dont think so, but its friendlier than the NW cities. SC again I still believe was the best pick I made, Columbia. and I did not like the looks of Iowa too from west to Des Moines.

Traffic in Omaha did seem low though for a town its size, like a Dallas with less people. I wanted that as Dallas and Phoenix were out due to Covid, as well as Vegas. But Omaha and even Lincoln which I wouldn't have minded, was a no go too.

I just dont want to be in places that I feel will become trendish and full of people. Its also the reason I passed on raleigh/Durham as well.. It looks to be the new "IT" destination but I am willing to bet Durham has higher crime than Columbia. Columbia seems like its in Tampa's bracket when it comes to crime, like it can get bad, but its got safer at the same time. Durham Id imagine is not though and raleigh seems too cookie cutter and more traffic, like a new west coast transplant kind of feel to it. I guess to some extent that Charleston is as well and Greenville WANTS to be that now. Columbia just looks to stay solid and regular, even with the people who do have money, like how I saw Omaha to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area