Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 11:21 AM

1,124 posts, read 927,270 times

Advertisements

I figured it would be good to go ahead and start one of these now as posters in the Upstate forum did so for the Gateway Project. And let me start with this link! It’s finally been approved and they can now send out a request for qualifications to find a builder(s). Won’t be long now!

https://www.wistv.com/2019/05/13/car...rd-scdot-says/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 12:19 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,275,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
I figured it would be good to go ahead and start one of these now as posters in the Upstate forum did so for the Gateway Project. And let me start with this link! It’s finally been approved and they can now send out a request for qualifications to find a builder(s). Won’t be long now!

https://www.wistv.com/2019/05/13/car...rd-scdot-says/
Good idea...

::Takes deep breath::

Anyone want to start an over/under on how long this project will take? Better yet, how long the delays will amount to when it’s completed?

Lol

This will take patience for most Columbians but it has to be done. Hopefully SCDOT and said builders hit the ground running.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Good idea...

Anyone want to start an over/under on how long this project will take? Better yet, how long the delays will amount to when it’s completed?

Lol

This will take patience for most Columbians but it has to be done. Hopefully SCDOT and said builders hit the ground running.
I’m betting 60 on over by 3 years and under budget by a million or two.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:18 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,847,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Good idea...

Lol

Won’t start til 2020 and is supposed to take 5-6 years. Coming in on or slightly over budget since DOT is better than the county with projects...don’t even want to get into that.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Won’t start til 2020 and is supposed to take 5-6 years. Coming in on or slightly over budget since DOT is better than the county with projects...don’t even want to get into that.
I was told 8. No matter. I still think it’ll take longer than expected either way. Just look at I-20 out past Lexington. Passed it’s date a while ago.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
I was told 8. No matter. I still think it’ll take longer than expected either way. Just look at I-20 out past Lexington. Passed it’s date a while ago.
Yeah I don’t know what’s happened with the latest round of projects for DOT. The I-26 and I-20 previous projects were both ahead of schedule when finished. I-77, I-20 and the 85 projects are/were behind schedule. I can only hope that the I-26 projects will be done ahead of schedule seeing that it will be 23 miles of continuous construction for the next 3 years and then down to 8 miles for 3-4 more.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:36 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
All of these major road projects, where you are updating an old outdated design with a better, newer design, right on top of it, while keeping traffic flowing, is equivalent of doing open heart surgery on someone running a marathon!

The big wildcard is always weather, we get some years with above average rainfall and it will almost always push the project back months or even years. One good thing is the ability to work year round, unlike most places in the north with hard freezes and feet of snow to deal with.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:41 PM

1,154 posts, read 957,534 times
My committee is still trying to get the DOT to include HOV Lanes for buses to have better Express routes up the Northwest Corridor towards Newberry. Because they are so hard butt on inviting public transit in any of this 1 billion bandage.

At first they added possible commuter rail funding then scraped it. Then had Hot Lanes then scraped it then HOV Lanes then scraped it.

So now to there's nothing public transit orientated to this project. 15+ years from now we're gonna be back in the same boat with traffic congestion.

We can't pave our way out of traffic problems we need a Multimodal plan.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Yeah I don’t know what’s happened with the latest round of projects for DOT. The I-26 and I-20 previous projects were both ahead of schedule when finished. I-77, I-20 and the 85 projects are/were behind schedule. I can only hope that the I-26 projects will be done ahead of schedule seeing that it will be 23 miles of continuous construction for the next 3 years and then down to 8 miles for 3-4 more.
I still think they should be widening it to 3 all the way to Newberry while they’re at it at, but what do I know? I just drive and live around here.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I still think they should be widening it to 3 all the way to Newberry while they’re at it at, but what do I know? I just drive and live around here.
That’ll be in the next 10 year plan when they expand it up to the 385 split along with expanding it down to Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area