Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:39 PM

64 posts, read 256,145 times

Advertisements

About surprised no one mentioned brown recluses, black widows and wolf spiders

Brown recluse spider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Latrodectus mactans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Southern Black Window

Carolina Wolf Spider Care Sheet - Carolina Wolf Spider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 08:14 PM

119 posts, read 344,966 times
I hate palmetto bugs, I live in Sumter, on the outskirts in "the country" so they are bad here, I used to live in Five Points and they were bad there too, the first time I saw one I almost died, now I still freak out but not as bad. Also, there are mice in areas, as I am sure you will find anywhere, but they are small. Mosquitoes are bad here too, but there is a truck that drives by about once a week and sprays for them. Bad thing is, we have no warning so have to run inside quickly when we hear it coming!

If you are worried about chemicals, keep a Bounce dryer sheet tucked into your belt loop while outdoors, it keep the mosquitoes away! You can also put them under cabinets to keep roaches and mice away, works wonders, just make sure to change it often so the smell is strong.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:49 PM

Location: American People's Democratic Capitalist Republic of South Carolina
176 posts, read 454,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyadgraves View Post
The biggest threat I know of are other peoples dogs. Look out for Pit Bulls and similar dogs. My cat was recently killed by a neighbors dog who got out of the fence.

Also, it is a good idea to spray your lawn for mosquitos. They can be a real nuisance.
Don't spray any lawns, it damages the environment and the water quality. Also if a cat eats grass with chemicals on it he or she may die just like mine did by eating something.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:58 AM

5 posts, read 17,961 times
Default Don't fear

What are the pests in Columbia?

Just like anywhere else, we've got our share of pests.

Palmetto bugs (nice southern way to say cockroach). Essentially, they live outdoors, or inside your house if it's in their path of travel. They die just as easily as any other bug when hit with a shoe. They get kind of big and they can FLY so don't freak out when you see that happen. Call Terminix or Orkin, have your home sprayed and the palmetto bugs won't bother you. You'll see them if you're in your yard and move rocks and things over... they'll run away and hide.

Bees, wasps, hornets, (stinging insects). We've got these. Spray cans of wasp killer work well. Tend to build nests under decks, porches, eaves, etc.

Mosquitoes... we've got them. Don't allow standing water and there shouldn't be too much problem.

Snakes... yep, we've got those too. Rattlers in the woodsy areas occasionally, cottonmouths around bodies of water... watch your step and you'll be fine.

Scorpions... we've got those too. Not many and not really big but we've got them. Squish just like any other bug with a shoe.

Spiders... got those too. Black Widows and brown recluse spiders are the ones to worry about... they aren't any worse than anywhere else... wolf spiders LOOK worse than they are... they can get to be kinda BIG but they die just as quickly with a shoe, stick, rock, or bug spray.

Centipedes... yep, those too... I've only seen 2 in the last 2 months and they died horribly under the sole of a shoe.

If you live in some areas of Columbia (like Pelion) the worst things you'll have to deal with are the gnats. They are harmless but annoying as all get out.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:54 AM

Location: American People's Democratic Capitalist Republic of South Carolina
176 posts, read 454,584 times
People can be pests too :-) They will get into your pocket and drill a big hole in it. Spray with alcohol and coke... ;-)

Regarding "Palmetto Bug" is that the La Cucaracha, a cockroach? Those are big but harmless. Some people keep them as pets and don't you dare kill their pet.

Don't be a pest, let live beings live. Don't you feel a bit guilty when you kill a bug or a snake? If they are put there, it's for a reason. Although stepping on a cockroach may give you some satisfaction feeling big and powerful :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area