Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 05:26 PM

191 posts, read 503,114 times

Advertisements

Polling the audience here. If you wouldn't mind please give yer fave for the the following and why if you'd like - runners up appreciated too!

BBQ: - Havn't had it in the south yet. Been once in Charlotte at Max's that's all i got to compare it to. I understand there is quite the varying opinions here...

Southern:

Mexican:

Japanese:

Sandwich/Deli:

Italian:

Coffee:

other?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 06:55 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwind View Post
Polling the audience here. If you wouldn't mind please give yer fave for the the following and why if you'd like - runners up appreciated too!

BBQ: - Havn't had it in the south yet. Been once in Charlotte at Max's that's all i got to compare it to. I understand there is quite the varying opinions here...
Thanks!

Southern: Mr. Friendly's

Mexican: don't eat it enough to have a favorite

Japanese: Sakitumi

Sandwich/Deli: Gourmet Shop

Italian: Garibaldi's

Coffee: Courtyard Coffeehouse

other? Middle Eastern: Tabouli, Al Amir and Elie's Place
Thai: Baan Sawan
Vietnamese: Pho Viet
Asian Fusion: M Vista

Old 10-14-2010, 06:18 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,265,153 times
You're talking my language now.

BBQ: Hudson's Smokehouse, Hites, Palmetto Pig. In that order

Southern: Compton's Kitchen, Southside Restaurant

Mexican: San Jose, Monterrey Mexican

Japanese: Miyabi

Sandwich/Deli: No Name Deli, (Best sub is at Publix)

Italian: Alodia's (my new favorite) Villa Tronco

Coffee: Not really a fan of coffee

Chinese/fusion: Fusion Bowl, Red Bowl

Sushi: Tako Sushi

Best Breakfast: Comptons

Best Business Lunch: Blue Marlin

Best Pizza: Ray's Pizza in Lexington (another new favorite) Best pizza in town. Be sure to talk to the owner. He has a great story to tell about how he got to South Carolina.

I've got to stop. I could go on forever about restaurants.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:12 AM

435 posts, read 1,530,253 times
BBQ/Southern: I'm vegetarian, so I can't fairly comment here

Mexican: Cantina 76 - this is the only Mexican restaurant I know of in Columbia that even attempts to have a relatively high-brow, high-quality menu. Honestly I can take the typical Southeastern US Mexican in food in the San Jose/Monterrey/La Fogata versions only in small doses - I'm spoiled by growing up with high-quality Mexican food in Chicago. If you want something in between, El Chico off Bush River Road is pretty good.

Sushi/Japanese: Miyo's chain, Wasabi.

Sandwich/Deli: DiPrato's (more of a deli). Roly Poly (more of a sandwich shop).

Italian: Villa Tronco, Pasta Fresca

Middle Eastern: Al-Amir, Tabouli

Asian: Miyo's / M Cafe / M Vista - great local chain. Red Bowl/Fusion Bowl is pretty decent if you want a more "comfort food" level of Asian food with nice decor/service, but the Miyo's chain is higher-class, IMHO.

Indian: Touch of India (spartan, a bit hole-in-the-wall, but great cheap food and service), Delhi Palace

Coffee: Can't recommend one as no one really stands out, at least one I've been to.

Thai: Baan Sawan, hands down. Cute, intimate location with high-quality menu.

Pizza: Schiano's for basic NY-style. Thirsty Fellows (haven't been there myself but my wife has been there and we know the chef there from when he used to have his own pizza place near our house - his pizzas were great). ZPizza for decently-priced organic. Mellow Mushroom for a diverse menu of different types of pizzas & toppings.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:43 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
BBQ: Hudson's is good, but like many Columbia-area BBQ buffets, the other items stand out more than the actual BBQ. Little Pigs is also pretty good.

Southern: Mr Friendly's IS excellent higher-brow southern, but I think Yesterday's is a great choice for a really wide selection of inexpensive, stick-to-your-ribs southern food. Try it for lunch sometime.

Mexican: Cantina 76 is super good, and one of our regular spots, but it's not really mexican. It's sort of world fusion food done in the Mexican style with a southern twist. Like Chi2Midlands, I got spoiled by Chicago mexican, which is REALLY mexican. I haven't found that in Columbia yet.

Sandwich/Deli: Gourmet Shop is good for some things. Their chicken salad is second only to my Grandmother's, and their pimento cheese is second only to my own. They aren't really a DELI deli, though. I don't eat sandwiches out enough to have a firm recommendation here.

Italian: Garibaldi's is good, if just a touch pricey. I've heard Rosso's is pretty good, too, but I haven't been there, myself.

Coffee: Immaculate Consumption

Chinese/fusion: Miyo's

Breakfast: Cafe Strudel

Best Pizza: I'm a sucker for Mellow Mushroom. I know it's a chain, but it's just delicious.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:43 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Sandwiches -- Which Wich?

Seafood -- Blue Marlin

Southern -- Yesterdays

Italian -- Diane's on Devine

Reliable standbys -- Harpers and Copper River Grill

Coffee -- need a Liquid Highway (from Greenville)!

Breakfast -- is there anything more SC than Dennys?

Pizza -- Don't eat it but my daughter just loves Mellow Mushroom

Old 10-14-2010, 03:01 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post

Breakfast -- is there anything more SC than Dennys?
Well, considering it was founded in California, didn't become headquartered in SC until the 90s, has over 1500 restaurants and only 17 of those are in SC (vs 423 in California), and doesn't really serve ANYTHING remarkably South Carolinian...

Yeah, there are about 60,000 things more SC than Denny's.

(Oh, and there's one out on Harbison, but that's it, at the moment, for the Columbia area.)

Old 10-14-2010, 05:05 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Doesn't matter -- corporate headquarters are paying taxes to South Carolina NOW.

And, I happen to love their biscuits and gravy.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:17 PM

843 posts, read 2,747,358 times
BBQ - Little Pigs

Southern - Compton's Kitchen

Mexican - Real Mexico

Japanese - Not *real* experienced here, but I do like SakiTumi for a more formal options. For a less formal/take-out, I like Tokyo Grill.

Sandwiches - Andy's

Burger - Rush's

Coffee - I drink so much, it's hard to try and narrow it down right now... sorry!

Tres Chic - Motor Supply Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover
Coffee -- need a Liquid Highway (from Greenville)!
I've been meaning to try one of these but am always too far gone by time I spot one (and haven't had a chance to actively seek one out).

Old 10-14-2010, 08:59 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,469,688 times
I had a really good pizza at Al Amir. No joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area