Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 12:27 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saharaga View Post
Your experience cannot be a barometer for anyone else's. That's why you, ATLCOL, and a few others rub people the wrong way. You guys act as though your impression of Columbus is a reflection of everyone's reality when it is not. I've been on this board long enough for you to know I'm not a troll. I'll be happy to scan and upload a copy of our police report since the thought of this happening seems so foreign to you. It's wonderful that you've never been a victim but that is simply not the case for everyone.
Moderator removed. Fighting will no longer be tolerated. Go rent a boxing ring and take it up there.

The probability that some will suffer a break in, arson, murder, or any other crime is extremely small unless it happens to you, then at that point it becomes 100%. But it is only 100% for that small sliver of time. Each passing day that nothing bad happens to you the percentage that something will happen to you again gets slimmer and slimmer. Nor do I believe that some form of utopia exist in the United States of America, I've live in to many places to form that misguided notion. But I have lived in enough places to realize what is best for me and my family. So unless something happens to cause me to move, I'll take Columbus, GA.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 02-15-2009 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 04:45 PM

541 posts, read 1,144,905 times
Default Bicker bicker bicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by saharaga View Post
Are there people here who like Columbus? Yes. Most of them were born and raised here and have not seen much outside of the Columbus area so their view is myopic, at best. They are not objective sources of information. You will have to do your own research and come to your own conclusions. When you get here, I can assure you that your reaction will be immediate. You will either like it or hate it.

We have lived in Georgia for 14 years. A little over 10 of those years have been spent living in metro Atlanta. This is the first time that our home has been burglarized in, of all places, what others would like to believe is a "safe" city. The stats speak for themselves. It is not normal for a town the size of Columbus to have crime rates that are higher than the national average in certain categories.
Ok we'll we just moved here from ATL. So far, so good and if it was really that bad I could hightail it back as we are yet to sell our house there.

I have lived in 13 different states and Canada. I have traveled extensively. Columbus is just like any other place, some good, some bad.

The #1 reason I like it better is the air. I can breathe here. In ATL you cannot go outside in the summer for all the Red Smog Alert days. I am kind of partial to breathing. I, nor any of my family has asthma and I would like to keep it that way.
We were at a Chamber of Commerce Event recently some Biddin on the Banks thing. Everyone seemed to be having a good time and not talking of the impending doom some posters are speaking of.

My husband attended some event where someone from Terry Business College was speaking, the topic was that the first two qtrs. of 2009 were to be bad and hopefully by the third qtr. business would stabilize. That is pretty much what the talking heads are saying for the national economy as well.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:39 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Considering it's now become a part time job cleaning up the in-fighting in here as opposed to people being able to have a civil conversation, the topic is closed.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:42 AM

22 posts, read 66,963 times
Check into Double Churches and Clubview elementary schools. Best wishes!

Old 04-04-2009, 11:29 PM

6 posts, read 23,314 times
i have heard double churches is really good. Which is why we moved close by last year even though my kids won't be attending for a few years since they are still to young. There are 2 *new* neighborhoods right next to this school. Silver Lake and Nature Trail - - which is much nicer and more affordable --- home are low 200Ks. There are many older neighborhoods too which probably have many homes for sale. Columbus seems to have a higher turnover rate since there is a large military presence.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:27 PM

23 posts, read 36,312 times
Default Moving to Columbus

Hello -

I am moving to Columbus in August and I need a little/alot of information.

I will be working at St. Francis (fingers crossed).

1. Where is the best place to live but not have a crazy commute?
2. What is the process for getting someone into high school - they all seem to be magnet schools.
3. Best high school?
4. Safest area?
5. Good apartment community?
6. I have heard about North Columbus but what are the boundaries/zip codes for that area?
7. Phenix Alabama???? Should I?

Thank you for all of your help.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:37 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,645,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheronep View Post
Hello -

I am moving to Columbus in August and I need a little/alot of information.

I will be working at St. Francis (fingers crossed).

1. Where is the best place to live but not have a crazy commute?
2. What is the process for getting someone into high school - they all seem to be magnet schools.
3. Best high school?
4. Safest area?
5. Good apartment community?
6. I have heard about North Columbus but what are the boundaries/zip codes for that area?
7. Phenix Alabama???? Should I?

Thank you for all of your help.
1. Where is the best place to live but not have a crazy commute? Anywhere in North Columbus. Check out Maple Ridge, Brookstone, etc
2. What is the process for getting someone into high school - they all seem to be magnet schools. Columbus High is magnet, not sure how it works differently
3. Best high school? Columbus High (Public) and Brookstone (Private)
4. Safest area? Anywhere north of Macon Road
5. Good apartment community? Greystone at Columbus Park
6. I have heard about North Columbus but what are the boundaries/zip codes for that area? Not sure, there are a lot
7. Phenix Alabama???? Should I? Nope

Old 05-19-2010, 11:48 PM

11 posts, read 88,950 times
1. Try North Columbus or the northern section of Midtown.
2. N/A
3. Either Columbus High School or Northside High School.
4. North Columbus
5. Either Greystone or The Meadows
6. 31909 is best.
7. Nope... If you're going to St. Francis, traffic is very bad especially going through Downtown.

God Bless

Old 05-20-2010, 02:02 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,558 times
1. Well the closer one is to St. Francis then the shorter the commute of course but it depends on what you want. The area just north of St. Francis is nice older homes built in the 60s.

2. The way the high schools work is that each one is a magnet for something. The only one that you actually have to "apply" to is Columbus. The others are based on neighborhood just like any high school in other cities.

3. yeah as mentioned Columbus and Northside. But Shaw is a really good school. Hardaway is good too. Would I break my neck to get in that district despite graduating from there? No. Would i turn down a good house or apartment in that district? No.

4. Yeah staying north of Macon Road is the general rule of thumb. But there are middle class black neighborhoods south of Macon Road too.

5. there are plenty yeah almost any of the Greystones. There are plenty.

6. Yes 31909 is the better zip code. But there are good neighborhoods in 31904 and 31907 too so you can't just say the only good zip code is 31909.

7. Phenix City no a good bit of that isn't the best but again not all. If I had kids then I'd go with Smith Station in Lee county. Houses are indeed cheaper there.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:45 AM

80 posts, read 266,736 times
Few places in Columbus or Phenix City proper are more than pleasant 15-25 minute commute one way. Even tho Columbus traffic is growing due npartly to BRAC at Fort Benning there is no comparison with Atlanta or other larger metros. Greystone and Woodruff apartment managers have range of good to excellent apartments from about Manchester xway north. most of terrence81's advice is excellent except if you live in north Phenix City you'd Not come thru Downtown anyway ,and if you lived in North Columbus, it would be a moot point too. St Francis is about as convenient as it gets for hospital or even dr's office. welcome to columbus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA