Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 10:46 AM

310 posts, read 258,388 times

Advertisements

Missing the skyline thing isn't necessarily bad. No building in downtown Charleston, SC can be taller than the tallest church steeple. Frankly, it gives the downtown area a lot of charm.

Metro population is above 650k.

I like that Columbu's tallest building isn't even downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 07:06 PM

1,406 posts, read 1,856,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
That's in the plans sometime after The Rapids opens up. Can't remember if it's before or after the office/retail building. I don't think it will be more than 5 stories.
This is next, before the office/grocery, I believe. Not going to be a huge hotel, similar to Courtyard in size, but "boutique" -- won't be Marriott or Hilton brand.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:36 PM

176 posts, read 157,328 times
Columbus getting a downtown skyline is dead. There is no height ordinance on buildings but the loophole is all buildings must be approved by the Facade Board and they will not allow buildings over 6 stories and they must have a historic design or they get denied. That’s why the Hakpton project got a floor taken off. We don’t need an Uptown Facade Board in my opinion. They hold the city back.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:55 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,905,678 times
We DO need an Uptown facade board---,but it needs to be forward-thinking and open-minded. To limit building heights to 5 stories is asinine and small town. Personally, I bet it was the hotel owner who lopped a floor off. To be building a river-view hotel without a rooftop restaurant and bar is a HUGE...HUGE mistake!! A mistake that would be shortsighted, and very expensive to correct in the future!

Old 01-15-2019, 05:29 PM

1,054 posts, read 881,948 times
Yeah, the UFB is not the culprit at all here. Prohibitive costs is the true enemy.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:29 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,165,732 times
s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1999 View Post
Columbus getting a downtown skyline is dead. There is no height ordinance on buildings but the loophole is all buildings must be approved by the Facade Board and they will not allow buildings over 6 stories and they must have a historic design or they get denied. That’s why the Hakpton project got a floor taken off. We don’t need an Uptown Facade Board in my opinion. They hold the city back.
I agree. The Downtown Development Authority should have the final say in everything! Not just issuing bonds for certain projects that is approved by city council.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:13 PM

297 posts, read 260,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
We DO need an Uptown facade board---,but it needs to be forward-thinking and open-minded. To limit building heights to 5 stories is asinine and small town. Personally, I bet it was the hotel owner who lopped a floor off. To be building a river-view hotel without a rooftop restaurant and bar is a HUGE...HUGE mistake!! A mistake that would be shortsighted, and very expensive to correct in the future!
I agree with Jay; I don’t think it’s the board limiting height, I think they are doing what they can afford. Same with the rooftop restaraunt/bar...it’s just outside of the budget. I’d actually rather see this project come to life as is than an old abandoned building just sitting there although I’m hopeful for another more elaborate downtown hotel in the future. I’m putting my money on WC Bradley to execute the type of project we were initially expecting with this.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:04 PM

27 posts, read 28,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1999 View Post
wow well they really sucks then for columbus, so that means a skyline would be more likely too happen on the alabama side then, phenix city doesn't have a facade board so let's say if a developer wanted too build a 10 story structure in phenix city it would pass and happen with no problems.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:59 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,655,794 times
Not a fan of the facade board. I don’t think they limit height. All depends on the project and cost of the project. Columbus will see taller buildings in the near future.

To me it seems like development is really starting to pick up. What we really need is a Chamber of Commerce to actually be functional and start recruiting better jobs to our region.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:15 AM

967 posts, read 1,073,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Not a fan of the facade board. I don’t think they limit height. All depends on the project and cost of the project. Columbus will see taller buildings in the near future.

To me it seems like development is really starting to pick up. What we really need is a Chamber of Commerce to actually be functional and start recruiting better jobs to our region.

We need to aggressively go after better jobs in the region. They need to do everything possible to bring in high paying jobs to the area as this is probably the biggest thing holding Columbus back. We aren't going to get anywhere if the only companies locating here are only paying 20K a year salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA