Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 01:07 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,905,678 times

Advertisements

Why is it that our airport seems to be dying on the vine? Note that the last airport meeting minutes posted are AUGUST 2018. And that recent attempts at holding a meeting have been cancelled. Is possible closure in its future?

Monthly Commission Minutes | Columbus GA Airport

Hello? HELLO??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 01:32 PM

1,054 posts, read 881,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Is possible closure in its future?
Not in the near future, but on a geological time scale, yes.

Quote:
Note that the last airport meeting minutes posted are AUGUST 2018. And that recent attempts at holding a meeting have been cancelled.
A meeting was scheduled for today, keep an eye out for any updates sometime over the next few days. I wouldn't be surprised if a meeting the day before Thanksgiving was cancelled though, everyone is on vaca.

Quote:
Why is it that our airport seems to be dying on the vine?
It isn't. The vast majority of the airport's business will always be in non-commercial flights and it does thousands and thousands of those each year. Getting a second or third commercial flight would be awesome, but a likely heavily subsidized flight is in no way going to save the airport, mostly because the airport doesn't need saving. It's a fine place to fly out of and tens of thousands of people do each year.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:19 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,655,794 times
Passenger traffic is actually up at the airport which is a good sign. Hopefully this will lead to future flights. Columbus passengers are just lazy and would rather drive a little over an hour up to Atlanta.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:22 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,797,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Passenger traffic is actually up at the airport which is a good sign. Hopefully this will lead to future flights. Columbus passengers are just lazy and would rather drive a little over an hour up to Atlanta.
I wouldn't call it lazy- I would call it frugal. Why would I want to pay a few hundred extra dollars on a plane ticket when the only major carrier delivers you to Atlanta anyway?

Old 11-21-2018, 05:32 PM

1,054 posts, read 881,948 times
I'd argue it's more lazy to fly out of Columbus to connect out of Atlanta. If lazy is the easier way to do something.

We've flown out of CSG a few times now and I love not dealing with the drive to Atlanta or ATL security lines.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:40 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,655,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
I wouldn't call it lazy- I would call it frugal. Why would I want to pay a few hundred extra dollars on a plane ticket when the only major carrier delivers you to Atlanta anyway?
It’s never that much more to fly out. I’m flying to Austin in January and it was cheaper to fly out of Columbus than direct from Atlanta. You avoid the drive, parking and long security lines. I walk into the terminal and straight to my gate.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:49 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,165,732 times
The interior is being remodeled and a new director was just hired. Things are moving slow.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
It’s never that much more to fly out. I’m flying to Austin in January and it was cheaper to fly out of Columbus than direct from Atlanta. You avoid the drive, parking and long security lines. I walk into the terminal and straight to my gate.
Coincidentally, I was talking with someone not too long ago about not liking the high additional fare to fly on in to Columbus via Atlanta. He said with the now higher Groome rates, the flight into Columbus from whereever he originated from was pleasant, without hassle, AND cheaper than flying into Atlanta, then Groomeing it to Columbus. Surprised me, for sure! Worth checking flights into and out of Columbus from now on.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:14 PM

161 posts, read 170,659 times
If you read the 2017 EOY Reports the Airport actually makes a profit! I was totally surprised, and the total amount of passengers served keeps going up.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCountryBoy View Post
If you read the 2017 EOY Reports the Airport actually makes a profit! I was totally surprised, and the total amount of passengers served keeps going up.
I'll have to check it out. Thanks! I heard that the American Airlines direct flights to DFW were pretty well flown. Perhaps we could get them back with slightly smaller planes? And I wonder if directs to Charlotte and DC are even being pursued. I understand that DC is the most flown to area from here, so would make sense. Hopefully the new airport director, and new mayor, will make increased service here a priority! If flights are available at decent fares, many more folks would love the convenience, and almost no hassle, of flying from here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA