Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 06:06 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,796,340 times

Advertisements

https://www.wrbl.com/news/local-news...DHdyzn00h9EMHw

I think this is an awesome addition to uptown, but very disappointed to see that there is no food other than "food trucks". I think we all can see how successful Old Chicago is here, and not having a restaurant is narrow minded IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 06:12 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
https://www.wrbl.com/news/local-news...DHdyzn00h9EMHw

I think this is an awesome addition to uptown, but very disappointed to see that there is no food other than "food trucks". I think we all can see how successful Old Chicago is here, and not having a restaurant is narrow minded IMO.
Food can be added later. Most breweries don’t have food. You come for the beer. I think that side of downtown is going to boom. Be on the lookout for more breweries, lots of interest now.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:44 AM

1,054 posts, read 881,948 times
Yeah, breweries don't need food, I'd even go so far as to say shouldn't. You're thinking of brew pubs - those have food, for example Cannon Brew.

Getting an outpost of Chattabrew is cool, would love to see Omaha do the same thing here.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
Yeah, breweries don't need food, I'd even go so far as to say shouldn't. You're thinking of brew pubs - those have food, for example Cannon Brew.

Getting an outpost of Chattabrew is cool, would love to see Omaha do the same thing here.
Omaha should definitely open one here. Their business would quadruple. Being located where they are 1 hour south is just too far.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:02 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,904,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Omaha should definitely open one here. Their business would quadruple. Being located where they are 1 hour south is just too far.
I bet that Omaha is already considering Columbus! The more breweries here, the better! Car dealers locate near each other for a reason. The same applies to breweries!

Old 04-08-2019, 10:52 PM

43 posts, read 71,321 times
Quote:
Food can be added later. Most breweries don’t have food. You come for the beer. I think that side of downtown is going to boom. Be on the lookout for more breweries, lots of interest now.

That's because Georgia led the nation in the most backwards laws regarding breweries and brewpubs up until last year. They couldn't even sell the beer directly to me much less open up for food sales. Many of the big name craft breweries have some sort of food sales - including world class food kitchens. Most of them started as brewpubs before graduating to larger scale breweries. These laws are why Georgia was so far behind the nation in quality craft brewers for a state its size.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPioneers View Post
That's because Georgia led the nation in the most backwards laws regarding breweries and brewpubs up until last year. They couldn't even sell the beer directly to me much less open up for food sales. Many of the big name craft breweries have some sort of food sales - including world class food kitchens. Most of them started as brewpubs before graduating to larger scale breweries. These laws are why Georgia was so far behind the nation in quality craft brewers for a state its size.
Georgia has a ton of breweries now. It’s one of the fastest growing markets in the Southeast.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Georgia has a ton of breweries now. It’s one of the fastest growing markets in the Southeast.

I'm from Colorado - it's not really a ton - Georgia ranks last in craft brewers per capita .9 per 100,000 residents - it's sad really they were so far behind - I think that number has risen in the last year but has a long way to go.

Now that they have removed the draconian laws I would imagine that we will see a large growth just to catch up. But do know that these laws kept Georgia from becoming an economic center for brewing in the southeast and allowed North Carolina to take that mantle. Most of the major craft breweries that are scaling up production were built in and around Asheville. I wasn't here for the debate - but I'd imagine a combination of the religious right and the wholesalers commanded the Georgia legislature for too long on the issue and they lost out. I would talk to many of the Georgia brewers at the GABF - and asked them to bring the GA Legislature to Denver to see the impact, the Legislature was so shortsighted and did the state a major disservice. The fact that you couldn't sell food was one of the most ridiculous laws that I had ever heard regarding the industry.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:09 PM

1,054 posts, read 881,948 times
Religious right may have slowed public pressure for relaxing the brewery laws, but it was definitely more of the political clout of about half a dozen very influential alcohol distributors that prevented it for so many years.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
Religious right may have slowed public pressure for relaxing the brewery laws, but it was definitely more of the political clout of about half a dozen very influential alcohol distributors that prevented it for so many years.
I'm sure that's true - but that is how political business is done the distributors manipulated the religious right and the legislators beholden or leaning that way into a "unholy" coalition to keep the laws backwards. Without the 2 working together these laws would have been gone long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
View detailed profiles of: