Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 03:01 PM

176 posts, read 157,328 times

Advertisements

The Ledger is reporting a new Convention Center/ meeting space is coming to the riverfront that can seat up to 8,000. Pretty nice modern looking building also. Looks to be multiple stories from the picture.

“With an estimated population of more than 36,000 residents, the largest space Phenix City has for an indoor event can seat around only 400 folks, according to Mayor Eddie Lowe.

In fact, when Central High wants to conduct its graduation ceremony inside, it does it across the Chattahoochee River in the Columbus Civic Center.

But that’s fixing to change.

We need a place where we can have events in Phenix City, being the 12th-largest city in the state of Alabama,” he said. “We need to have a place where we can host things and start thinking outside the box.”

That’s why the event center would have “Positively” in its name, to echo the “Positively Phenix City” slogan, Lowe said.

Although he emphasized the project is “in the embryonic stage” and he couldn’t fully share the plan, here are the details he did disclose:

The agreement is to pay approximately $900,000 for 22 acres off Colin Powell Parkway, where a construction contractor called The Lisle Company had operated .

“It’s a great location,” Lowe said. “The views will be outstanding, as far as being visible.”

Environmental testing is being done on the property before the deal closes. A feasibility study would follow to determine the project’s scope.

No cost estimate was available for construction of the event center.

Assistant city manager Stephen Smith said in an email to the L-E that the project would be financed over 20-25 years and funded by public-private partnerships.

The final plan would be set next year, Smith said, and construction would be done in 2021 or 2022.

A city official told the L-E earlier that the event center is envisioned to accommodate 8,000 people, but Lowe said the size hasn’t been set. He would confirm only that the seating capacity would be in

The Phenix City Council has agreed to purchase land to build an event center that would have “thousands” of seats, Lowe confirmed Wednesday in a phone interview with the Ledger-Enquirer.”

https://www.ledger-enquirer.com/news...236567788.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 03:36 PM

1,054 posts, read 881,948 times
This proposed site is located on 6th St, just south of Cedar Hill Baptist, somewhat disappointingly far away from Phenix City's Riverwalk. A convention center within an easy walk from the Amphitheater and everything to the north of that would make a really tight connected core for the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1999 View Post
The Ledger is reporting a new Convention Center/ meeting space is coming to the riverfront that can seat up to 8,000. Pretty nice modern looking building also. Looks to be multiple stories from the picture.
An important caveat here, that concept drawing is in no way reflective of what the building will look like and there's a better chance of it snowing tomorrow than the final product to look like that.

Old 10-23-2019, 03:39 PM

176 posts, read 157,328 times
[quote=JayHey;56475683]This proposed site is located just on 6th St, just south of Cedar Hill Baptist, somewhat disappointingly far away from Phenix City's Riverwalk. A convention center within an easy walk from the Amphitheater and everything to the north of that would make a really tight connected core for the city.

An important caveat here, that concept drawing is in no way reflective of what the building will look like and there's a better chance of it snowing tomorrow than the final product to look like that.[/QUOTE

So it’s closer to Colin L. Powell and Brickyard Road area. My biggest concern is Phenix City has made some big announcements then not followed through with them, even the shopping center on 431 South has taken over 3 years and only has two retailers. Would be nice if this is built it will definitely carry impacts on both sides of the river.

Old 10-23-2019, 05:00 PM

463 posts, read 520,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
This proposed site is located on 6th St, just south of Cedar Hill Baptist, somewhat disappointingly far away from Phenix City's Riverwalk. A convention center within an easy walk from the Amphitheater and everything to the north of that would make a really tight connected core for the city.

An important caveat here, that concept drawing is in no way reflective of what the building will look like and there's a better chance of it snowing tomorrow than the final product to look like that.
I agree 100%. If the building looks anything like that concept drawing I’ll eat my shoe. I would have loved something like that on the site of the piggly wiggly across from the rapids. Give Columbus something better to look at.

Old 10-23-2019, 05:20 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,904,858 times
Failed "promises" come to mind, to wit: The Brickyard, Phenix Rising, and The Phenixcian. PC's new 8,000 convention center should be right across the river from Columbus' convention and trade center...with a skywalk across the river joining both of them!! A HUGE win-win for both cities!!

Old 10-23-2019, 07:30 PM

17 posts, read 20,579 times
It would be good for consumers/event organizers to have a little competition to what’s available in Columbus. I tried to host an event on the GA side, and the prices I was quoted for catering from the convention center and lodging at a nearby popular event hotel didn’t sit terribly well with my group...we ended up going elsewhere.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:46 AM

967 posts, read 1,073,995 times
I hope this brings in some big name events and performers. It makes me sad everytime I see a map of bands, etc and where they are going on tour and I see a huge bubble of nothing around the Columbus area.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:49 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post
I hope this brings in some big name events and performers. It makes me sad everytime I see a map of bands, etc and where they are going on tour and I see a huge bubble of nothing around the Columbus area.
Columbus pulls decent acts compared to other 2nd tier cities.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:41 AM

1,406 posts, read 1,855,250 times
I think this is an all around horrible idea for Phenix City. Yes, building is great but I think it will go unused.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:05 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,904,858 times
I think it's a great idea...IF it's built right next to the amphitheater AND DIRECTLY CONNECTED via a skywalk bridge across the river to the Columbus convention center...AND IF a high-rise many room hotel is part of the whole project! Our twin cities could then have much larger conventions, AND provide additional hotel options for Auburn football fans, as well! A WIN-WIN for all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
View detailed profiles of: