Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:35 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,675,553 times

Advertisements

Couple good articles from the New York Times and Fox News on the growth of Kia. Great news for the region!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/us/22kia.html?_r=2&em

Video - FOXBusiness.com

Old 04-29-2009, 10:21 AM

98 posts, read 230,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
That's hard to believe based on its location. I have been out there several times. It is a beautiful place that seems perfectly safe.
Not arguing that it is not a nice setup but it is definitely not safe anywhere around that area.
I got the following from my boss yesterday...and there were more shootings downtown last friday.

For 2006,Columbus had an overall crime rate of 7,850.6 per 100,000 residents; this exceeds the national average of 4,479.3 crimes per 100,000 people by 75%. By way of comparison, New York City's overall crime rate was 2,517.1 per 100,000 residents.
The rate for violent crimes was 620.8 per 100,000, compared to the national average of 553.5 per 100,000; murders and robberies exceeded the national average, while rapes and aggravated assaults were below the national average. Property-crime rates, such as burglaries, larceny and motor vehicle thefts, significantly exceeded the national average (7,229.8 in Columbus, compared to the national average of 3,906.1). In recent years, drug crimes have also risen.

Population growth here has pretty much stagnated since the 70's reflecting a major downturn in military retirees staying in Columbus.

1970 32.8 percent up
1980 9.3 percent up
1990 5.5 percent up
2000 4.3 percent up
2007 .4 percent up

The median income for a household in the city was $34,798, and the median income for a family was $41,244. Males had a median income of $30,238 versus $24,336 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,262. About 12.8% of families and 15.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.0% of those under age 18 and 12.1% of those age 65 or over.

Last edited by Sam552311; 04-29-2009 at 10:33 AM..

Old 04-29-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam552311 View Post
Not arguing that it is not a nice setup but it is definitely not safe anywhere around that area.
I got the following from my boss yesterday...and there were more shootings downtown last friday.

For 2006,Columbus had an overall crime rate of 7,850.6 per 100,000 residents; this exceeds the national average of 4,479.3 crimes per 100,000 people by 75%. By way of comparison, New York City's overall crime rate was 2,517.1 per 100,000 residents.
The rate for violent crimes was 620.8 per 100,000, compared to the national average of 553.5 per 100,000; murders and robberies exceeded the national average, while rapes and aggravated assaults were below the national average. Property-crime rates, such as burglaries, larceny and motor vehicle thefts, significantly exceeded the national average (7,229.8 in Columbus, compared to the national average of 3,906.1). In recent years, drug crimes have also risen.

Population growth here has pretty much stagnated since the 70's reflecting a major downturn in military retirees staying in Columbus.

1970 32.8 percent up
1980 9.3 percent up
1990 5.5 percent up
2000 4.3 percent up
2007 .4 percent up

The median income for a household in the city was $34,798, and the median income for a family was $41,244. Males had a median income of $30,238 versus $24,336 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,262. About 12.8% of families and 15.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.0% of those under age 18 and 12.1% of those age 65 or over.
First off, compared to what? Growth is happening everywhere. Columbus is one of the few cities in the country that is expected to see job growth this year.

Think everyone should take a look at this info on Columbus from USAToday. Columbus is expected to grow jobs by 1.2% It is about the only city in the country that is expected to see job growth.

Check it out for yourself. You can't dispute these facts.

How jobs growth forecast was done - USATODAY.com

Old 04-29-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
First off, compared to what? Growth is happening everywhere. Columbus is one of the few cities in the country that is expected to see job growth this year.

Think everyone should take a look at this info on Columbus from USAToday. Columbus is expected to grow jobs by 1.2% It is about the only city in the country that is expected to see job growth.

Check it out for yourself. You can't dispute these facts.

How jobs growth forecast was done - USATODAY.com
There is really nothing in the above article that has anything to do with my post.
The thread subject is the city of Columbus being an economic oasis and not a camparison to other cities etc.
If you cannot answer that is ok just say so as I do not intend to get into long discussions when the facts have already been presented.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
If you cannot answer that is ok just say so as I do not intend to get into long discussions when the facts have already been presented.
You give no reference to your "facts". No need in arguing...my facts speak eough.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
You give no reference to your "facts". No need in arguing...my facts speak eough.
The figures given are available by goggle 24 hours a day and have been presented to you by many other posters but you have still not answered or clarified.
I think it can safely be said that Columbus is not an economic oasis by any reasonable person who lives here.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
The figures given are available by goggle 24 hours a day and have been presented to you by many other posters but you have still not answered or clarified.
I think it can safely be said that Columbus is not an economic oasis by any reasonable person who lives here.
I guess economist think differently than you. Ever been in a college economics class? If so, you would understand.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:41 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,256,136 times
I don't know. I hope Columbus does become an economic oasis but I'm starting to move into that I'll believe it when I see it category. On one hand Columbus does have Fort Benning which has given it some stability.

The economy has diversified away from just being a mill town. BRAC will be good for Columbus when it comes. They've been talking and talking about BRAC but it hasn't arrived yet though. I think Kia would be great too but with the current state of the economy people just arent' buying cars like they used to.

On the other hand Columbus is certainly doing better than a lot of places. When BRAC comes I think it'll be great because that'll bring both government and private contracting jobs to Columbus and hopefully bring and retain more educated professionals.

But right now this day I would say it is not an economic oasis. It's not immune to affects of the recession.

However, there is some good news and reason to be optimistic. The unemployment rate went down last month. Hey somebody got a job !

Old 04-30-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I don't know. I hope Columbus does become an economic oasis but I'm starting to move into that I'll believe it when I see it category. On one hand Columbus does have Fort Benning which has given it some stability.

The economy has diversified away from just being a mill town. BRAC will be good for Columbus when it comes. They've been talking and talking about BRAC but it hasn't arrived yet though. I think Kia would be great too but with the current state of the economy people just arent' buying cars like they used to.

On the other hand Columbus is certainly doing better than a lot of places. When BRAC comes I think it'll be great because that'll bring both government and private contracting jobs to Columbus and hopefully bring and retain more educated professionals.

But right now this day I would say it is not an economic oasis. It's not immune to affects of the recession.

However, there is some good news and reason to be optimistic. The unemployment rate went down last month. Hey somebody got a job !

I cannot argue your point and feel much the same way.
I had read another post about the Cessna situation here and got the following from a friend who works there.
He says they will shut the entire plant down for a month or more this summer and may close down completely by the end of the year.
I would not want to be an economist right now thats for sure.

Cessna's Columbus program suspended
Bend facility moved; layoffs now 7,900

By Alton K. Marsh
Cessna Aircraft Company has suspended work on its largest jet ever, the Columbus, in light of the continuing slump in the worldwide business jet market. In addition, Cessna officials announced a layoff of 1,600 workers, with an additional 700 to be laid off by mid-June. These are in addition to the 4,600 layoffs previously announced. In addition, Cessna will close its facility at Bend, Ore., and move production of the Corvalis, formerly the Columbia 400, to the Cessna facility in Independence, Kan.
Columbus deliveries were to begin in 2013, but right now company executives can’t predict the strength of the market that far ahead.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:24 PM

913 posts, read 2,989,417 times
Quote:
I cannot argue your point and feel much the same way.
I had read another post about the Cessna situation here and got the following from a friend who works there.
He says they will shut the entire plant down for a month or more this summer and may close down completely by the end of the year.
I would not want to be an economist right now thats for sure.

Cessna's Columbus program suspended
Bend facility moved; layoffs now 7,900

By Alton K. Marsh
Cessna Aircraft Company has suspended work on its largest jet ever, the Columbus, in light of the continuing slump in the worldwide business jet market. In addition, Cessna officials announced a layoff of 1,600 workers, with an additional 700 to be laid off by mid-June. These are in addition to the 4,600 layoffs previously announced. In addition, Cessna will close its facility at Bend, Ore., and move production of the Corvalis, formerly the Columbia 400, to the Cessna facility in Independence, Kan.
Columbus deliveries were to begin in 2013, but right now company executives can’t predict the strength of the market that far ahead.
Cessna has gotten hit hard in the economic collapse. So has Gulfstream. The demand for private jets has dropped dramatically as companies look to cut back. Just hope this economy turns soon, but it doesn't look like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA