Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 08:44 PM

634 posts, read 2,922,185 times

Advertisements

No! Stay in the Macon area, lol!

Columbus is a nice city, but it is wayyyyy to spread out.

I have never had a good impression with the city. Most of the shopping areas are crumbling, and downtown is a dump....

Macon has better qualities, IMO.

I have lived in Macon and Columbus in the past.

I know you and your husband need to get closer to his job..

Maybe Taylor County, Crawford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 06:42 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,754 times
Hyun-Soo you must have Columbus, GA mixed up with another Columbus from some other state or Macon. Any old malls that we had have been demolished. By the way when compairing downtown with Macon's once again you are way off. You must have come here in the seventies when downtown was a reck. Columbus downtown is thriving; shops, dinning, music and Columbus State has built dorms, classes and so on in downtown. No, you are talking about some place other than Columbus, GA.
You are right about one thing, Columbus is spread out, and for those of us who live here, that's good. Although Columbus is large in population, we are not living on top of each other, we have room. Macon is about half the population, but more crime. What's wrong?

Old 04-13-2007, 03:44 PM

105 posts, read 527,084 times
Had to be the 80's or early 90's. Columbus isnt even that spread out anymore. There are new developments popping up everywhere. I remember when the area near the new mall was just trees and woods. And downtown(uptown) has come a long wayyyyyyyyyy. Columbus is like a completely different city from my youth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
Hyun-Soo you must have Columbus, GA mixed up with another Columbus from some other state or Macon. Any old malls that we had have been demolished. By the way when compairing downtown with Macon's once again you are way off. You must have come here in the seventies when downtown was a reck. Columbus downtown is thriving; shops, dinning, music and Columbus State has built dorms, classes and so on in downtown. No, you are talking about some place other than Columbus, GA.
You are right about one thing, Columbus is spread out, and for those of us who live here, that's good. Although Columbus is large in population, we are not living on top of each other, we have room. Macon is about half the population, but more crime. What's wrong?

Old 04-13-2007, 05:22 PM

634 posts, read 2,922,185 times
Columbus is more like 1/4 larger than Macon in population terms [metro].

Well, the area of downtown that I visited wasn't very nice. Maybe the other areas which I didn't visit are better...

I had a bad impression, but since you guys are talking such good thing's about Columbus, I must visit someday to see for myself..

Old 05-01-2007, 08:15 AM

78 posts, read 371,208 times
Does anyone know of a good pediatrician in Columbus,GA? I have 2 little ones ages 3 and 4. Someone mentioned a place in Columbus that is shaped inside like a castle for kids but does anyone have a doctor there they like especially? I have done a lot of research and it looks like Mathews Elem is superb for public schools and Harris County schools all looked great too! Also, does anyone know of any communities with swim and tennis or golf in Columbus or surrounding areas besides Maple Ridge? Or atleast a two story home? If not does anyone have a builder they like? We don't want to go to Alabama side just don't want to lose the hope scholarship in GA for future needs. Any help is appreciated! THANKS!

Last edited by trish74; 05-01-2007 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-01-2007, 09:08 AM

233 posts, read 1,226,907 times
There is a place off Talbottan Road. I can't remember the name. I took my kids there. It's near Doctor's Hospital.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:27 PM

67 posts, read 228,687 times
If you are going to work in Columbus, please purchase your home in Muscogee County and pay property taxes here. Property taxes support our schools. Our city lobbied for funds through the community development block grant to be used by our developmental authority which invested 600,000.00 in the new AFLAC building to stimulate growth and create jobs in our community. Plus, AFLAC, TSYS as well as other companies are given tax breaks, meaning our local government collect less taxes from these companies because we want them to operate here and create jobs for those who live here. We created these jobs so that people would move here and add to our tax base which support our schools and our public safety. We did not create these jobs to add to the tax base of our neighboring counties.

I am not a real estate person, but I do love Columbus and have stood by and watched Columbus neglect some parts of town just to invest money in companies that hire people who don't want to live here based on propaganda.

If our city thinks enough of you to hire you, you should think enough of our city to invest in it. A perfect example would be, why should you go to work everyday and help your husband buy and house and he gives it to me and I sat home all day everyday.

The money that leaves this city would serve this city well if it stayed in this city. Our schools operate on property taxes and all of them should be good. Pretty soon, they all will be equal in instructional material and instructors. People are praying for our city so things are bound to change from the better to the best.

All Real Estate people, don't think about just your bottom line. Think about the future of our city. I feel hurt and betrayed when I read and hear about the way brokers talk about Columbus and take future homeowners to other areas. You should be selling the city, making a difference in all of the schools and be real leaders who more apt to make this the ideal city that it should be.

God bless and keep all of you in the center of His will.

nadinethehowlingdemocrat

Old 06-29-2007, 07:05 PM

670 posts, read 2,998,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trish74 View Post
Does anyone know of a good pediatrician in Columbus,GA? I have 2 little ones ages 3 and 4. Someone mentioned a place in Columbus that is shaped inside like a castle for kids but does anyone have a doctor there they like especially?
It's Rivertown Pediatrics. I have been pleased with it, but my kids only have allergies and ear infections. The staff is friendly and competent as well.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 6,125 times
Smile where are you trish74?

This is so weird,just came across your post from last year about moving to columbus.I am in the same situation,lived in macon my whole life and my husband has been commuting for 3 months.I also have 2 toddlers ages 2 & 4.We have decided to live in the catuala area because of schools.This has been very difficult on all of us not to mention it's almost like being a single parent!We have been disgusted with the housing market,there are hardly any with basements (realtors tell us it's because it's to flat) ha ha! Don't know if you are familiar with north macon but we currently live in brookefield sub. off bass rd. I was trying to find a neighborhood like ours with swim & tennis but they don't seem to exist! We are planning to move the end of march.Let me know if you have adjusted also looking for a church preschool program with mmo.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Tonya Meeks

Last edited by TMeeks; 02-26-2008 at 06:58 PM..

Old 02-27-2008, 01:59 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMeeks View Post
This is so weird,just came across your post from last year about moving to columbus.I am in the same situation,lived in macon my whole life and my husband has been commuting for 3 months.I also have 2 toddlers ages 2 & 4.We have decided to live in the catuala area because of schools.This has been very difficult on all of us not to mention it's almost like being a single parent!We have been disgusted with the housing market,there are hardly any with basements (realtors tell us it's because it's to flat) ha ha! Don't know if you are familiar with north macon but we currently live in brookefield sub. off bass rd. I was trying to find a neighborhood like ours with swim & tennis but they don't seem to exist! We are planning to move the end of march.Let me know if you have adjusted also looking for a church preschool program with mmo.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Tonya Meeks
Tonya, I believe the realtors are feeding you a bunch of stuff. If you want a house with a basement, I am sure a builder will build it. You were most likely looking at newer homes. I don't know many builders who would build a new house with a basement in GA, it cost to much and the average middle class family can not afford it. By the way if Columbus is flat, then I am Christopher Columbus. There should be numerous subdivisions with pools, but if you want both it's going to cost you a lot of money. On the bright side, several parks in the area have tennis courts (very nice ones and well maintained). The city of Columbus have a large number of public swimming pools, gyms, baseball, football and soccer fields throughout the city. On the child care front, did you inquire at St. Luke about their program. Welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA