Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 06:28 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hall View Post
Areas as close to downtown cincinnati as german village is to downtown columbus are not in the city of cincinnati and have experienced new investment and population growth in newport and covington kentucky. Similarly, areas in ohio outside of cincinnati as close as five miles from downtown Cincinnati have experienced significant development in recent years. This is the reason that municipal population is not a useful measure of a metro area unless you are a tax payer or collector in a given municipality. Downtown cincinnati has received more investment, job growth and had more population growth in the last decade than in the previous three decades combined. The decline in the working class population on the fringes of the city of cincinnati is the issue. This is why MSA to MSA comparison are the only apples to apples comparisons. MSAs are the scale on which businesses and people operate. If Pittsburgh or cleveland had had cincinnati's numbers for the last decade they would have 200 to 250 thousand more people today. If cincinnati had had columbus' growth it would have 120,000 more people. These differences are significant and explain most of what you need to know about these metro areas.
Those are a lot of ifs... unfortunately ifs don't mean anything. If Columbus had 8,000,000 people, it would be one of the largest cities in the country. How about we discuss what is actually true instead of engaging in this mental masturbation.

Why do I get the feeling that if the situation were reversed and I was saying how the population decline in Columbus was all working class, blah blah blah, you'd counter that it was a signal of significant urban decline and Columbus was on its way to obscurity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 09:47 PM

465 posts, read 473,716 times
jbcmh81, You obviously are making a lot of assumptions that i must admit I don't even understand. None of my assertions are 'ifs', they are all facts. The growth rate of all these metros and the resultant total population numbers are self-evidently clear. The difference between 6% and minus 3% is 9% and 9% of Cleveland's 2000 population is about 210,000. That is what Cleveland would have had if it had grown by 6%, as cincinnati did, instead of shrinking by 3.3% as it in fact did. If cleveland had grown by 6% since 2000 it would have about 210,000 more people than in fact did have in 2010 according to the census. That is about as simple as math gets, I'm afraid. Why these eventual demographics developed is, of course, infinitely more complicated, but no one can deny these ultimate numbers. There is a whole world of professional and amateur demographic analysis online discussing just these types of questions, but no one suggests that they aren't true. Each metro has its own story and the numbers help to explain that story, but they are just the beginning of the story. We don't live in a world where pure market principles explain all individual and collective human actions so that we can just plug in the numbers and instantly 'explain' a metro's economy. The historical and economic differences between metros matter. Try urbanohio.com and urbanophile.com to get started.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:02 AM

755 posts, read 2,492,760 times
jbcmh81, this is a thread for people who want to leave Columbus. You obviously think that Columbus is the bestest best place in the whole wide world so why are you posting in here?

Old 08-26-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
jbcmh81, this is a thread for people who want to leave Columbus. You obviously think that Columbus is the bestest best place in the whole wide world so why are you posting in here?
Because most of the reasons given aren't even based on reality. I don't have a problem, specifically, with those that want to leave, but I do take issue with all the misinformation and outright lies passed off as fact in threads like this. Just as people have a right to make stuff up and be all dramatic about how terrible Columbus is, I have a right to counter those arguments. And no, I don't think Columbus is the "bestest best" place in the world, but neither do I think it's nearly as bad as people love to make it out to be. You are free not to read any of my posts, because I don't think I'm going to stop arguing that Columbus is not the "worstest worst" place in the world.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hall View Post
jbcmh81, You obviously are making a lot of assumptions that i must admit I don't even understand. None of my assertions are 'ifs', they are all facts. The growth rate of all these metros and the resultant total population numbers are self-evidently clear. The difference between 6% and minus 3% is 9% and 9% of Cleveland's 2000 population is about 210,000. That is what Cleveland would have had if it had grown by 6%, as cincinnati did, instead of shrinking by 3.3% as it in fact did. If cleveland had grown by 6% since 2000 it would have about 210,000 more people than in fact did have in 2010 according to the census. That is about as simple as math gets, I'm afraid. Why these eventual demographics developed is, of course, infinitely more complicated, but no one can deny these ultimate numbers. There is a whole world of professional and amateur demographic analysis online discussing just these types of questions, but no one suggests that they aren't true. Each metro has its own story and the numbers help to explain that story, but they are just the beginning of the story. We don't live in a world where pure market principles explain all individual and collective human actions so that we can just plug in the numbers and instantly 'explain' a metro's economy. The historical and economic differences between metros matter. Try urbanohio.com and urbanophile.com to get started.
But Cleveland didn't have Cincy's growth, and Cincy didn't have Columbus' growth, so who cares? Both Cleveland and Cincy's MSA are already larger than Columbus', though Columbus will probably pass one or both in the next few decades. We can argue the finer points of MSAs, and that's fine, but I don't really get the hypotheticals.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:31 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Because most of the reasons given aren't even based on reality.
Reality is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:51 AM

490 posts, read 863,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Absolutely. People all want different things in life, including the places they live. In my adult life I've lived in Philadelphia, Dayton and Columbus - my favorite city among those three is Philadelphia, but that doesn't mean I don't like Columbus or Dayton. In fact, I have no plans to leave Columbus as it's a really nice place to live. However, I understand others' desire to try someplace new as there are certain things Columbus does not offer that other places do. Some will leave Columbus and find themselves much happier someplace else, others will go and find the grass isn't always greener.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Perhaps certain things, not all. There are subjectives and then there are facts, and I continuously see that line blurred all the time. People think all I do is prop Columbus up and defend it because I think it's the greatest, and that's just not how I see it. I would love to debate Columbus' faults and qualities in some kind of constructive fashion, but how often does that really happen on these threads? If someone has an opinion on a place, good or bad, fine, but putting them out there on a public forum means that they are subject to both praise and criticism. If I find reason to place doubt on a particular opinion, I'm going to raise it. I think people would and do do the same to what I say.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus76 View Post
Absolutely. People all want different things in life, including the places they live. In my adult life I've lived in Philadelphia, Dayton and Columbus - my favorite city among those three is Philadelphia, but that doesn't mean I don't like Columbus or Dayton. In fact, I have no plans to leave Columbus as it's a really nice place to live. However, I understand others' desire to try someplace new as there are certain things Columbus does not offer that other places do. Some will leave Columbus and find themselves much happier someplace else, others will go and find the grass isn't always greener.
I understand it too. As I've mentioned in the past, I've left Columbus before and lived other places simply because I wanted to see what else was out there. Columbus is far from perfect, and I have no problem pointing that out, but for whatever flaws it does have, we don't need people making up ones that don't exist or that aren't at all supported by the actual conditions. Sometimes it seems people are more interested in making a point than in making one that makes sense.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:57 PM

465 posts, read 473,716 times
200,000 plus people is not a "finer point" Anyone who cares about any of these places should care about how their nearest metros are doing. Nothing and no one exists in isolation and we are all affected through a dense web of economic connections. The relative performance of metros is much more useful and relevant than absolute measures. As Frank McCourt said about his childhood in Ireland, " a ham sandwich was a miracle." Everything, including U.S. metro areas, is relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus