Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:39 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hall View Post
Um, yes. I never mentioned any comparison between the ten year census numbers. But, we know from IRS w-4 filings and Burea of Labor Statistics that Columbus' fastest growth was from 1995 to 2007. It wasn't hard to grow double digits in an era of expanding govn't and education from a much smaller base population. Growing from 800,000 to 1,000,000 is much easier than growing from 1,850,000 to 2,250,000. Breaking through the 2 million metro population is a real glass ceiling. Govn't is ( supposed ) to be getting smaller and universities are struggling for funding like never before while southern cities are cheaper and more agressive. Nashville, Charlotte and Raleigh are going for the investment's columbus used to get. columbus population growth rates have slowed since 2007, for many different reasons I'm sure. The fact that few people are committed to columbus as a place is significant and not obvious. Some metro's have been able to hold on to skilled people in hard times and rebuild with strong local economic networks such as Pittsburgh and Louisville. Columbus is much more transient than pittsburgh, and st. louis and even somewhat more than indy; and OSU is only part of that. All this is just to say that the past does not quarantee the future. Columbus shouldn't get complacent like Atlanta where population growth came to a shuddering halt in 2007 after gaining half a million in the previous ten years. The most recent Atlanta MSA numbers suggest that it has had a slight population decline since then. People would have laughed in your face if you'd suggested that in 2007.
Still waiting for your numbers and links that prove any of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 12:25 AM

368 posts, read 638,489 times
actually columbus diversified economy heavy on banking and insurance,service education etc has been much more resilient and protected from economic downturns as opposed to cities with a large manufacturing base,and the data ive seen show columbus msa population actually growing faster especially in 2009,2010.and columbus growth has been very steady..no ups and downs,yes columbus had the fastest growth rate of any major midwest msa..and will continue to do so..its not chicago,or nyc..but having lived in larger cities than columbus ..it has in its own way just as much to offer..do i think it could do better??hell yes..i get frustrated at columbus lack of ambition,most ppl in columbus dont have the same competitiveness with other cities.liek they do in cincy or cleveland..most in columbus dont care about downtown etc but columbus potential is greater than probably any city in the midwest right now..and its diversity is better than most cities of its size.my problems with columbus are:1.the worst air service of any city of its size..thats a huge factor in getting companies to locate here 2.lack of financial support for arts organizations,i used the term financial..because the columbus symphony usually attracts bigger crowds than cincy..and i go to both regularly.3.i have no doubts the blue jackets will succeed in columbus..every city goes through the drama with leases etc and it will be worked out,the cbj have for the most part drawn well ..actually too well for the horrible product they have put out..and when they win the town will go crazy..we need something else besides ohio st football..im an osu alum and have actually cried when they lost ..but its almost sickening to hearthe radio or tv in a city this size..its embarassing
in 20 years or so when the columbus msa is 2.4 million and cleveland is at 1.6,and pittsburgh is 1.8..dont be surprised if another major league sports franchise joins the nhl here in columbus..its a numbers game4.transit..especially downtown being so spread out..walk from the north bank park high rise to teh motorists high rise..to the franklin county high rise...thats like 5 miles or seems like it
we need at least a street car limited to the downtown area to start

Old 08-25-2011, 04:21 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
in 20 years or so when the columbus msa is 2.4 million and cleveland is at 1.6,and pittsburgh is 1.8..
chet_kinkaid--exactly what is it that you don't understand about "CIN-DAY"? 3.2 million MSA--in 10 years or so.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
chet_kinkaid--exactly what is it that you don't understand about "CIN-DAY"? 3.2 million MSA--in 10 years or so.
I could see CSA, but I still have trouble seeing an MSA of those two. It seems like very wishful thinking on the part of the residents there, in the hopes that it raises their profile. Also, it's kind of sad that given both Cincy and Dayton are losing people, that they have to rely on an abundance of surburban sprawl to look better. I like Cincinnati a lot and this is the last thing I would be rooting for if I lived there as it tends to pull more people from the urban centers.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:26 AM

465 posts, read 473,716 times
Still waiting for your numbers and links to disprove any of this.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:35 AM

The Cincy msa is not losing people. It grew 6% between the 2000 and 2010 censuses. Cleveland and Pittsburgh lost a little more than 3% each while Dayton lost about 1.5%. The Columbus msa grew about 13%.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Still waiting for your numbers and links to disprove any of this.
Perhaps you should go back and read my posts. I provided plenty of numbers.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
The Cincy msa is not losing people. It grew 6% between the 2000 and 2010 censuses. Cleveland and Pittsburgh lost a little more than 3% each while Dayton lost about 1.5%. The Columbus msa grew about 13%.
I didn't say Cincy's MSA is losing people, I said the city itself is. When the only growth you're having is in the suburbs, that's usually not good news for the urban core. It's in Cincinnati's best interest to NOT have a Dayton/Cincy MSA, imo.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:09 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Do you really think Cleveland-Akron will lose 1.4 million people?

Old 08-25-2011, 04:56 PM

Areas as close to downtown cincinnati as german village is to downtown columbus are not in the city of cincinnati and have experienced new investment and population growth in newport and covington kentucky. Similarly, areas in ohio outside of cincinnati as close as five miles from downtown Cincinnati have experienced significant development in recent years. This is the reason that municipal population is not a useful measure of a metro area unless you are a tax payer or collector in a given municipality. Downtown cincinnati has received more investment, job growth and had more population growth in the last decade than in the previous three decades combined. The decline in the working class population on the fringes of the city of cincinnati is the issue. This is why MSA to MSA comparison are the only apples to apples comparisons. MSAs are the scale on which businesses and people operate. If Pittsburgh or cleveland had had cincinnati's numbers for the last decade they would have 200 to 250 thousand more people today. If cincinnati had had columbus' growth it would have 120,000 more people. These differences are significant and explain most of what you need to know about these metro areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus