Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 02:59 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times

Advertisements

Tax credits key to redevelopment of former Madison

An update on the old Madison's and the adjacent building at 72-84 N. High Street. The Day Companies has applied for historic preservation credits, but those may not be available or perhaps a year or so. The plan is for office and residential with new restaurants on the ground floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 01:57 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,429,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
COTA awarded $38M in federal funding for its CMAX service along Cleveland Avenue - Columbus - Columbus Business First

Good news for the Cleveland Avenue BRT line. It was awarded a federal grant that will cover 80% of the projected cost. The project is supposed to be completed in spring of 2017.
Still at a loss at how it's going to take nearly as long to install as LRT; I thought one of the major advantages of BRT was that it's much faster to install for similar service and all at a much lower cost up front. It took 3 years and 9 months to construct and open the Green Line between Minneapolis and St Paul. Or is this another "unrealistic" expectation of mine?

Old 02-07-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Some comments... the population is undercounted, and I would say possibly by a decent amount. Even so, the 7,080 estimate is a growth rate of over 250 a year since 2010. Continued on through 2020, that would be about 8,600. I think the actual population was closer to 7,600 in 2014. and that the population will be closer to 10,000 in 2020. The two main reasons I think this... the report uses the 2013 tract estimates, which actually showed population decline in both downtown census tracts. That, of course, is nonsense. The other reason is because there are more units getting built per year (about 369) than they have in population growth. Vacancy rates are in the 1% or less range, meaning that there is no reason to not assume that almost every unit built is filled. That would mean a lot more people.
Even so, 10,000 by 2020 is pretty slow. Our downtown now holds 10% of the city's population (40k in a city of 400,000). Even if we stick to original urban boundaries which are pre-annexation it's a long way to go to reach 10% at 20,000 or so downtown residents at the current pace. I would think it has to pick up, but when? Or has it recently?

Old 02-07-2015, 02:55 PM

212 posts, read 199,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Still at a loss at how it's going to take nearly as long to install as LRT; I thought one of the major advantages of BRT was that it's much faster to install for similar service and all at a much lower cost up front. It took 3 years and 9 months to construct and open the Green Line between Minneapolis and St Paul. Or is this another "unrealistic" expectation of mine?
I was thinking the same thing. Why the hell does it take so long? And cost so much? Not to mention, it won't even have a dedicated lane. The LRT in Phoenix took 3 years to build, and it has all street-grade crossings. It goes from midtown, through downtown, and through Tempe to Mesa. The three densest areas of Phoenix. This BRT is going straight down one road of mainly not-so-urban developments. Tempe has been working on plans for a streetcar for what seems ages, but I bet even that is built and operational before this BRT. COTA needs to be trashed and started from scratch with all new leadership.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:38 PM

I hope you're kidding about the no dedicated lane thing because that would instantly revoke the "R" in BRT. But then again, this is Columbus we're talking about.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I hope you're kidding about the no dedicated lane thing because that would instantly revoke the "R" in BRT. But then again, this is Columbus we're talking about.
It's no joke. We're spending almost $50 million on this thing. It will still take 35 minutes to get from 161 to downtown. Those estimates are usually on the low side. It takes less than half that time to drive that in a car. Isn't rapid transit supposed to get people to use public transport? This will only be marginally better for people who already have to take the Number 1.

COTA is clueless. For example, the "express" lines that run $85/month. Who wants to ride that thing from Westerville to downtown when it takes 1+ hours to do so? It stops at every other Number 1 stop down Cleveland. Express lines should go from downtown Dublin, Westerville, Hilliard, Grove City, Gahanna et. al. park and rides, and use the highway to get downtown.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Even so, 10,000 by 2020 is pretty slow. Our downtown now holds 10% of the city's population (40k in a city of 400,000). Even if we stick to original urban boundaries which are pre-annexation it's a long way to go to reach 10% at 20,000 or so downtown residents at the current pace. I would think it has to pick up, but when? Or has it recently?
The only way you have 40,000 is if you're including the highly populated areas around University of Minnesota. How large exactly is your "downtown"? You're definitely denser, but it's not as dramatic as you make it seem. Also, Columbus urban area is about 1 million smaller than MSP (almost half).

Old 02-07-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I suspect part of the reason was finding the funding for it. The actual study didn't take that long. Now that the funding is there, it'll be about 2 years to complete.

Almost 4 years isn't exactly fast, either. I really expected more from MSP.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Father_McKenzie View Post
It's no joke. We're spending almost $50 million on this thing. It will still take 35 minutes to get from 161 to downtown. Those estimates are usually on the low side. It takes less than half that time to drive that in a car. Isn't rapid transit supposed to get people to use public transport? This will only be marginally better for people who already have to take the Number 1.

COTA is clueless. For example, the "express" lines that run $85/month. Who wants to ride that thing from Westerville to downtown when it takes 1+ hours to do so? It stops at every other Number 1 stop down Cleveland. Express lines should go from downtown Dublin, Westerville, Hilliard, Grove City, Gahanna et. al. park and rides, and use the highway to get downtown.
We as in who? The federal government is paying for most of it.

I agree, though, that the lack of dedicated lane is a real issue and I've been critical of this from the first announcement. It's inexcusable. The only hope is that they'll decide to put it in last minute. That said, I think this is really a COTA leadership issue. It's why the bus system has been pretty terrible as well. For whatever reason, they just seem to still be more concerned about catering to cars rather than improving the alternative transit business they're responsible for. It makes me worried about the fate of the proposed rail and how they might screw it up. Columbus has demand for serious alternatives, but this is one issue that I mostly agree with Mplsite on... it still has a small-town mentality on this and they need to be more forward thinking.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Father_McKenzie View Post
The only way you have 40,000 is if you're including the highly populated areas around University of Minnesota. How large exactly is your "downtown"? You're definitely denser, but it's not as dramatic as you make it seem. Also, Columbus urban area is about 1 million smaller than MSP (almost half).
No U of M: Downtown is well within the confines of surrounding highways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus