Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 05:03 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I would assume they won't go into Cleveland now...they usually don't like to put stores all that close together. Part of the whole allure of IKEA is it's not common everwhere you go.
Yeah, which is why I thought it was more likely to go to Cleveland. It's too bad that the company prefers to build their stores like a basic suburban Wal-Mart. One would think that, for a European company, they'd do things a bit differently. Oh well, a lot of people seem excited about this, and I'm sure it'll be very successful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 05:05 PM

COTA Ridership at Highest Level Since 1986 | ColumbusUnderground.com

COTA posted the highest bus ridership numbers last year in almost 30 years.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:11 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,428,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
COTA Ridership at Highest Level Since 1986 | ColumbusUnderground.com

COTA posted the highest bus ridership numbers last year in almost 30 years.
And yet it's still ****e: no refillable cards you can swipe let alone ones you can refill online. When are they going to increase frequencies this year for a city of 800,000 to have more than 3 viable routes?

I wanna see you document just a year getting around carless in Columbus: guarantee that you either buy a car or move if you can even make it. You already know which one I chose.

Last edited by Mplsite; 01-27-2015 at 06:30 PM..

Old 01-27-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah, which is why I thought it was more likely to go to Cleveland. It's too bad that the company prefers to build their stores like a basic suburban Wal-Mart. One would think that, for a European company, they'd do things a bit differently. Oh well, a lot of people seem excited about this, and I'm sure it'll be very successful.
It's up to Columbus to Europeanize the experience. Over here you can ride the light rail to major chains like Ikea, Whole Foods, WalMart, Menard's, Super Target, and soon a Trader Joe's. Which will be located right Downtown.

Last edited by Mplsite; 01-27-2015 at 06:24 PM..

Old 01-27-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
He moved hundreds of miles away to his supposed dream city to escape the oppressive way in which Columbus is developing, and he can't still be happy about literally anything. This has never been about Columbus doing better, because in his view, it can never do better. It will always fail because he will always see failure. Take it from someone who has spent a few years trying to debate him... don't waste your time. You can't fix something that broken.
I still have to visit it, Mr. 'Columbus was NIMBY and mediocre in 2014'. You're much more evenhanded on CU for some reason. When I flew in I had to have my parents pick me up because your mass transit is worse than Mexico's. And with both of us having experienced theirs we know that to be fact, not mere hyperbole. And then the development going up on Olentangy like that bland hotel surrounded by parking? They could be building a great walkable district on a curvy street bordering a river witg multi use trail but, Columbus.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
I still have to visit it, Mr. 'Columbus was NIMBY and mediocre in 2014'. You're much more evenhanded on CU for some reason. When I flew in I had to have my parents pick me up because your mass transit is worse than Mexico's. And with both of us having experienced theirs we know that to be fact, not mere hyperbole. And then the development going up on Olentangy like that bland hotel surrounded by parking? They could be building a great walkable district on a curvy street bordering a river witg multi use trail but, Columbus.
I would be more evenhanded with you if you were evenhanded yourself. You say maybe 1 positive thing a year. That's not being evenhanded. You often put me in a position where I feel like I have to counter you because you say so many ridiculous things and treat development like it's a video game. I have no trouble being critical of things I don't like, though. If you follow my posts on CU, you know that.

Mexico (at least where I live) has great public transit, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. Most places have worse. Not a great comparison.

But... Columbus can't force only development it wants on land it doesn't own. Something you apparently will never understand.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:41 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,897 times
Quote:
I would be more evenhanded with you if you were evenhanded yourself. You say maybe 1 positive thing a year. That's not being evenhanded. You often put me in a position where I feel like I have to counter you because you say so many ridiculous things and treat development like it's a video game. I have no trouble being critical of things I don't like, though. If you follow my posts on CU, you know that.

Mexico (at least where I live) has great public transit, so I'm not sure what you mean by that. Most places have worse. Not a great comparison.

But... Columbus can't force only development it wants on land it doesn't own. Something you apparently will never understand.

Add to that...most developers will build what they know to be profitable. Right now, developments need parking because everyone drives here.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:28 PM

490 posts, read 863,445 times
Nationwide Realty planning condo complex on McFerson Commons ? EXCLUSIVE - Columbus - Columbus Business First

More condos coming to the Arena District. Looks like they will have a great view of the skyline.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus76 View Post
Nationwide Realty planning condo complex on McFerson Commons ? EXCLUSIVE - Columbus - Columbus Business First

More condos coming to the Arena District. Looks like they will have a great view of the skyline.
This is a prime location for some height. I'll be very disappointed if it's anything less than 10 stories. I want to see 20 or more, but I suspect, given NRI's past projects, that the site will simply be more brick boxes between 5-6 stories. They don't step outside of their comfort zone too often. The positive is that it's more surface lots going away and more residents in the downtown area.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:15 AM

368 posts, read 638,489 times
to be fair..nationwide has left a pretty good mark on the skyline..2,400 foot plus towers at over 2 million '^2,another tower and north bank park close to 300 feet tall and the crown jewel in NW arena..but I agree it would be nice to see more height.I think the time is right for a signature tower downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus