Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 11:49 PM

5 posts, read 26,299 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised here and still live here (I'm 37), and I'm ready for a change. It's a nice town, but it's a little boring. I think it's the OSU football craze that has made me want to run screaming. If you're a big football fan you'll love it, but if you're not, or maybe if you're just on the fringe, you'll find that the constant hype gets old after a couple seasons. The city noticably revolves around football from August until January, especially if there's a home game.

As far as everything else, the arts are OK, but if you're a real connoisseur, you'll be disappointed. At least there's an interest and an effort to develop the arts, but it still has a way to go to make it to the big leagues as far as culture is concerned.

The nightlife is OK, but once again, you really have to do some research to find spots that aren't sports bars.

The city does have quite a few restaurants, and many are top notch.

The weather. Well, I love the sun, so I can tell you that I'm depressed about 4-6 months of the year from Nov-April. I also HATE snow, but I will admit it isn't too bad here. Every now and again we'll get pounded with the white stuff, but it's nothing like Buffalo, Cleveland or anywhere further north. It can get humid in the summer, but it's not unbearable. The only thing I don't care for is the layer of haze that never seems to go away during the summer months. Otherwise, May, June, September and October have some spectacularly beautiful days. The trick is getting out there and enjoying them at the right time!

Also, you HAVE to have a car. The traffic isn't bad, but it does have its moments. Public transportation is only worthwhile if you live close to the center of town (or within an approximate 6-7 mile radius of the downtown). Otherwise, get to love your automobile. Parking isn't usually bad, but if you drive into the Short North or German Village, be prepared to search a little before you find a spot.

With that said, I think most people will like Columbus; it's a nice place to settle and raise a family. It can be a little dull at times, but it's a good average place to live.

C-
Columbus, Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 11:42 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,671,314 times
Quote:
With that said, I think most people will like Columbus; it's a nice place to settle and raise a family. It can be a little dull at times, but it's a good average place to live.

I really disagree with you. If you think Columbus is dull maybe it's you just arent looking in the right places or don't get out of the house much? Columbus is one of the youngest cities and has plenty of areas with nightlife, shopping, entertainment etc..

Old 12-30-2007, 04:24 PM

5 posts, read 26,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
I really disagree with you. If you think Columbus is dull maybe it's you just arent looking in the right places or don't get out of the house much? Columbus is one of the youngest cities and has plenty of areas with nightlife, shopping, entertainment etc..
Examples...?

Old 12-31-2007, 03:14 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,671,314 times
Challenger 604 said:
Quote:
Examples...?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Columbus has a lot to do,
Downtown area has the best potential for visitors, great historical sites, art places, stores, high end restaurants, unique neighborhoods.

Many places people want to live in Columbus or the metro are more boring for your average visitor.

IN downtown

the Ohio Statehouse is a great historical site,
it was open around 1850, and is one of the only statehouses in the US to be modeled after Greek Revival style versus the popular Roman.
The interior is great, and there are tours 10am-3pm weekdays every hour on the hour.
And noon-3pm on the hour Saturday and Sunday
The statehouse is in the center of downtown at broad st. and high st.
Contact Barry Hayden at 614-728-2695 for more information or to schedule a group tour.

The Ohio Theater, Palace Theater, and Southern Theater are all located around the statehouse. On State St. (across from the state house) is the CAPA office where you can get information on tours of the theaters, and upcoming performances.
During the fall there are many symphony performances, ballets, and operas, and touring musical groups in these theaters

The Columbus Museum of Art is on the east side of downtown on East Broad St. It is just a few blocks east of the state house.

In walking distance from the Museum is the Thurber House, a museum and literary center, dedicated to writer James Thurber (who worked for the New Yorker)

COSI, a science center, is on West Broad St. literally only a few blocks from the state house

All of these options are the closest to the center of downtown, and are best for visiting during the day, being of cultural/museum interest

On the Northern Section of downtown is the North Market which is a great market opened until 5 Monday, and 7 Tuesday-Sunday

Just a little outside of downtown is the Ohio State University Campus
The campus is great for walking through or visiting the University District High St. Commercial strip for eating or shopping.

Also, on the Ohio State University Campus..

The Wexner Center for the Arts has great nationally recognized programs; they are closed monday, but are open until about 6pm every other day
right now have a Wegman photography exhibit.
Wexner Center for the Arts is their website
For a nice outdoor park and conservatory:
The Franklin Park Conservatory is located on East Broad St. The Conservatory is just outside of downtown, a 5 minute bus or cab ride could take you there.

For Nightlife:
The northern section of downtown is the liveliest; it is called the Arena District. The Arena District has many restaurants, a movie theater, the PromoWest center for live bands, and clubs, bars, and lounges.

Columbus is home to many entertainment venues for live music.
The most notable are Newport Music Hall on OSU campus, The LC in the Arena District, Skullys Music Venue in the Short North, CBRS in the Brewery District, and a many smaller venues around the city. Columbus has a good live music scene for rock and large arenas for tours.

The Short North is the section of high St. just north of downtown and has unique bars and Columbus' main gay club.

On the Ohio State University section of high st. there is also many clubs and bars, and The NEWPORT MUSIC HALL one of the longest running rock clubs in the USA.

For Unique neighborhoods, and boutiques:
The Short North just north of downtown on High St. is a stretch of galleries, clothing boutiques, and home furnishings. Short North Arts District - Official Website - Columbus Short North - Short North Columbus

Victorian Village has a nice collection of Victorian homes lining beautiful Goodale park, Victorian Village is located just adjacent to the short north.

The German Village is located south of downtown and has beautiful renovated homes that were once home to the cities German working class. Local restaurants fill the brick streets.

Grandview Heights Neighborhood is just west of downtown and offers a quaint retail/restaurant strip.

So far all of the above listing is located near downtown so staying in the Arena District/Short North (northern downtown) would put you in closest proximity to nightlife
and daytime attractions. If you stay in the center of downtown you are near the state house, but there is little to do at night.

Outside of the central city, in Columbus, you should visit (these attractions would take a 10-20 minute cab ride from downtown, or the use of a rental car, or a bus trip)
Easton Town Center, it is a large outdoor/indoor entertainment complex. A visit here could take all day if you want to shop or visit the comedy club or the theater troupe, Shadowbox Cabaret. Shopping with premium stores that are usually only found in large metros exist at Easton

Polaris Fashion Place is on the northern section city and offers Saks Fifth Avenue and like.

Also The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium is located in the NW section of the city, it is recognized as one of the best zoos in the USA and is growing and expanding by leaps and bounds now (trying to become the biggest in the world)

For Sports:
OSU games happen at one of the many state of the art events.
CREW soccer games at CREW stadium off of 17ave or 1-71
Destroyer Football (summer) at Nationwide Arena in the Arena District
Also at Nationwide Arena is the NHL hockey team the Blue Jackets
and the Washington Nationals affiliate (the Clippers) has a stadium under construction in the Arena District, until then, they place on the west side

for websites with coming events...
Welcome to ColumbusArts.com (arts related)
The Columbus Underground (club related, festivals all on the sites blogs with local's posts)
Wexner Center for the Arts (listings for the wexner center for the arts)
CAPA - Columbus, Ohio | New Haven, Connecticut (brings performers and performances to Columbus' historic theaters)
Columbus Alive (has complete listings of ALL events)

Old 01-08-2008, 06:02 PM

122 posts, read 379,741 times
im looking to relocate back to columbus but marylands job market is hard to leave please help

Old 01-13-2008, 03:36 PM

98 posts, read 314,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezy View Post
im looking to relocate back to columbus but marylands job market is hard to leave please help
Stay in Maryland, there is a reason why people here move to where your at and it's jobs.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:15 PM

119 posts, read 558,803 times
west5548.... did you have a traumatic experience in Columbus... or just hold some other grudge cause this is the second thread you have trashed it??? just asking???

Old 01-13-2008, 09:57 PM

98 posts, read 314,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jajosh07 View Post
west5548.... did you have a traumatic experience in Columbus... or just hold some other grudge cause this is the second thread you have trashed it??? just asking???
Yes, it's called getting transferred here, this is perhaps the worst place I have moved to and can't wait to leave. I don't get it, this city apparently thinks it's the best and yet there is trash everywhere on the streets, buildings literally falling apart, a sky high crime/murder rate, more bad places to live than good, and frankly your winters are down right miserable, not as moderate as everyone says they are. Thankfully I'm being transferred to the southeast again in 3 years, hopefully United Van Lines will have room in their fleet of trucks which are moving more people out of Ohio than in according to their stats.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:25 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west5548 View Post
Yes, it's called getting transferred here, this is perhaps the worst place I have moved to and can't wait to leave. I don't get it, this city apparently thinks it's the best and yet there is trash everywhere on the streets, buildings literally falling apart, a sky high crime/murder rate, more bad places to live than good, and frankly your winters are down right miserable, not as moderate as everyone says they are. Thankfully I'm being transferred to the southeast again in 3 years, hopefully United Van Lines will have room in their fleet of trucks which are moving more people out of Ohio than in according to their stats.
I have to disagree! What is so horrible about this area you feel the need to bash it? I certainly don't see the Columbus area this way - not at all.

I've posted SEVERAL times on this forum about this. I am a native Southerner that recently moved to the area. Lived in the South my entire life (40 plus years) - NC, SC, GA & FL ( all major metro areas).

Your attitude is exactly what native Southerners dislike about all of our transplants. If you don't like it, why did you move here? Accept it, don't complain, and don't try to change things - it doesn't work! This is not the South - and I think alot of transplants are starting to realize our native area isn't all it's hyped up to be either! Right now - I think the only state that should be allowed to complain is Michigan.

Take a pill and find things you like about the area. If not, the next 3 years are going to be miserable for you!

Old 01-15-2008, 09:42 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostPoet View Post
I heard Columbus has A LOT of crime for a city it's size....true? I'm always hearing about bank robberys and shootings on the news from there
I havent seen that...I like to go just about every weekend and so far it seems to be one of the safest cities ive been to. Actually planning a move there myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus