Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 14,611 times

Advertisements

This string really speaks to my situation. I'm relocating to the Columbus area from Phoenix AZ. Prior to moving here I spent 8 years in Austin TX. I loved Austin and I really like Phoenix. I'm excited about about all the things I hear regarding Columbus, the people the culture, nightlife, restaurants etc. I am concerned about the weather and how much my golf game will suffer ;^).

I need to find a place to live! I'm visiting this week and will be looking at lofts DT and condos in the Westerville, New Albany and Worthington areas primarily. I want to rent for a year or so to getbetter acquainted with the area. Does anyone know anything about the lofts and condos DT? What kind of community, crime issues, is there a homeless population etc. Also, I heard that Columbus is the alternative lifestyle capitol of the US, is this true? Any info would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 02:05 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedaddi View Post
This string really speaks to my situation. I'm relocating to the Columbus area from Phoenix AZ. Prior to moving here I spent 8 years in Austin TX. I loved Austin and I really like Phoenix. I'm excited about about all the things I hear regarding Columbus, the people the culture, nightlife, restaurants etc. I am concerned about the weather and how much my golf game will suffer ;^).

I need to find a place to live! I'm visiting this week and will be looking at lofts DT and condos in the Westerville, New Albany and Worthington areas primarily. I want to rent for a year or so to getbetter acquainted with the area. Does anyone know anything about the lofts and condos DT? What kind of community, crime issues, is there a homeless population etc. Also, I heard that Columbus is the alternative lifestyle capitol of the US, is this true? Any info would be great!
Honestly, Columbus reminds me so much of Austin, not really anything like Phoenix except sprawl, lol but Columbus does not sprawl as bad. New Albany is a very upscale community that is growing extremely rapidly. 1,000 residents in 1990, and over 7,000 in 2000. Worthington is your average suburb, Westerville is very nice, better than Worthington in my opinion.

Downtown Columbus offers a lot, and is really starting to build a lot downtown. In the past few years alone thousands of new housing units have been built, and new highrise condos are really starting to take off. Districts to consider in downtown Columbus are:

Olde Towne East
Arena District: Arena District | Columbus, Ohio | Sports, Dining, & Entertainment
Short North: Short North Arts District - Official Website - Columbus Short North - Short North Columbus
My favorite, German Village: The German Village Society

Other sources:
New Albany:Village of New Albany > Home ( DNN 2.1.2 )

Westerville:City of Westerville, Ohio

Columbus has a pretty awesome downtown:

http://www.mtgfoundation.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/columbus_skyline.jpg (broken link)

http://www.ohiomeansbusiness.com/img/local/skyline1.jpg (broken link)

LOL sorry for all the pictures, I just really like Columbus's skyline.

In this picture, the building all the way in the background in the middle of the arch is one of Columbus's new highrise condos. I like the modern approach they are taking there.
Columbus1j.jpg photo - Jayson photos at pbase.com

Old 02-17-2008, 04:56 AM

1 posts, read 14,611 times
Can Anyone Tell Me Hows The Gay Life In Ohio ? Im Moving From Miami Florida To Columbus Ohio Im A Gay Male

Old 11-16-2008, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 13,934 times
After having been in L.A., Las Vegas, Tucson, Houston,Elmira/Corning...Columbus "Makes Sense." We been there in August as well as February. The climate has been comfortable and tolerable. The downtown is clean and efficient. Plenty of mass trans. Plenty of inviting social settings. It was easy to send our son to school in Columbus and very easy for us to visit. It is very high on our list of places to live as we enter the "empty nest" phase.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:42 AM

216 posts, read 627,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west5548 View Post
Yes, it's called getting transferred here, this is perhaps the worst place I have moved to and can't wait to leave. I don't get it, this city apparently thinks it's the best and yet there is trash everywhere on the streets, buildings literally falling apart, a sky high crime/murder rate, more bad places to live than good, and frankly your winters are down right miserable, not as moderate as everyone says they are. Thankfully I'm being transferred to the southeast again in 3 years, hopefully United Van Lines will have room in their fleet of trucks which are moving more people out of Ohio than in according to their stats.
This person's views are in the miniority. I work in recruiting for a Fortune 500 company here. We relocated hundreds of people each year and the overwhelming response is, "We LOVE it and don't want to ever leave!" It's a great place to raise a family. The above poster is just sour grapes and in the minority.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 12,662 times
I moved here after living most of my life in other big cities around the world. I came to OSU grdauated and married a local girl. It is a nice city to raise a family. It has very nice suburbs,good restaurants and shops. ( Refer to StreetCreed Posting, Excellent) It also depends on were you live. The peopel who trash columbus and mentioned dirty streets and falling buildings are refering to probably were they live. That is priobably onely one of two places...the Short East Side or parts of the West Side ( Bottoms?) Dublin,New Albany, Arlington,Worthington,Westerville, Gahhanna, Grove City,Powell,Muierfield,Hilliard,Delaware..etc. Are all iin great shape! The down town has the short North, Gallery Hop area, Arena District, Victorian Village and German Village are all ggreat areas. This comment comes not from a die hard Central Ohio guy. I actually have houses in other places and choose to stay here.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:58 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,180,561 times
I love this post. I lived in Cbus for 3 years and I often times think of moving back. Cbus is really a nice place.

Close by you have Cincy and Cleveland. The entire Central Ohio is nice.

I live in Chicago now(4 years) and I really dislike this place A LOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioKid View Post
I grew up in Ohio and lived in Columbus for a while after college(wish I never left) I also lived in Monterey, CA, Tacoma/Seattle and Las Vegas.

If you did move to Columbus I think you would be happy. It just doesn't have the traffic and congestion you find in western cities. People say there is a lot of crime but unless things have changed I never saw it. Most of it is domestic stuff it seems to me. It is a city though so there are a few areas to stay out of.

People say Columbus has a suburban feel to it. It kinda does. I lived in Little Turtle in Westerville. About as cookie cutter soccer mom as you'll find anywhere in the US.

Columbus has a lot neighborhoods around downtown that are "citified." German Village, Short North, Vic Village, UA, OSU Campus, Arena District, etc. And Worthington would be a fantastic place to live. That's probably where I'll settle when I go back. (for good this time)

Columbus has a lot to offer. And you don't find the racial animosity as you will other places. There is a lot to do and plenty of great restaurants and culture. Despite what some people say.

I've lived in Toledo, Detroit, Birmingham, Knoxville and the cities I already mentioned above. I would take Columbus any day. That's not to say the other places are bad. I just like Klumbus better.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:52 PM

5 posts, read 28,844 times
I am huge fan of seafood currently living in Cleveland, OH. I am considering moving to Columbus, but does Columbus have any good seafood market?

Old 12-21-2009, 08:46 PM

5 posts, read 23,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBIN7771 View Post
Can Anyone Tell Me Hows The Gay Life In Ohio ? Im Moving From Miami Florida To Columbus Ohio Im A Gay Male
Columbus is easily the best city for LGBT people in the Midwest, bar none- except perhaps Chicago. Google Stonewall Columbus, also there are lots of clubs such as Axis- which is packed with dudes grinding just like in the movies lol. Victorian Village has lots of gay families, and Short North is kind of hipster-like with younger folks.

Youll have no problem fitting in,.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:58 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,069,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanghaiMinute View Post
I am huge fan of seafood currently living in Cleveland, OH. I am considering moving to Columbus, but does Columbus have any good seafood market?
Nope

I have yet to find decent seafood here.
People sent me to North Market for fresh fish. Most places would remove the fish if they looked the way those do. Frozen is the only way to go.

But in Columbus' defense. It's the middle of the US, middle of the midwest, middle of the state. You don't go to Columbus for fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus