Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:21 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times

Advertisements

[quote=Mplsite;31145072]
Quote:
Oh, so you're going to move back to Cbus and rent one of those apartments
because you think it's a good value? Of course not. You're still posting in this
thread even though you say no one cares what I think, but you sure do. Oh, and
some renters looking to move to the Short North do care about whether or not
they'll be getting a lot of bang for their buck. You do realize that the
developer could have gone even taller than the proposed Ibiza, right?
First, it would be ridiculous to move somewhere just to move into a specific apartment building. The developer didn't propose another, taller design. Again, you have no idea why they didn't. Perhaps their finances didn't support a larger project. Your Sim City philosophy of public/private development does not work. I don't care what you think specifically, but I enjoy calling you out on your bs, just as you obviously enjoy trolling a city you hate. That will seemingly never change... unless you stop posting here.

Quote:
My point about The Hubbard not going with a taller height is that like so many
others developers they are not finding it worth their time and money to even
build anything into the double digits in the city's most gentrified and
amenity-dense neighborhood: just 10 stories or more. If it were true that
Columbus can support so many more new residents like you say then we would see
much denser development in the heart of one of the city's most popular
neighborhoods right on the main drag. The reality is that developers don't care
how much boosters like you swoon over the Short North and that's reflected in
questionably short luxury apartment buildings in the Short North on High St of
all places: it still took subsidized public housing to get the only residential
building over 10 stories tall in the Short North with Bollinger Tower.
Sim City approach. You keep going with that.

Quote:
Of course, you have an interestingly 100% optimistic spin that you put on
everything Columbus related, so how else do you explain smaller cities being
able to support much taller luxury apartments and even within a similar price
range? Denver has at least two such structures in a popular downtown-adjacent
neighborhood: Golden Triangle, and a further removed locale: Cherry Creek. Here and here ( both over 15 stories tall) with costs slightly higher but comparable to The Hubbard (under 1,800 for a 1 bd/1 ba) yet
in Denver, once again, you get real mass transit (light rail lines) and
many more healthy, vibrant neighborhoods than do you in Columbus. All this does
is bolster my point: that elsewhere you get a lot more per dollar than you do in
Columbus for quality urban amenities and in notably higher quantities when
shelling out money for a pricey apartment. The disparity between what you're
paying in the Short North vs a trendy Denver neighborhood isn't as glaring as
the comparison to Williamsburg, but is still glaring nonetheless. You're paying
a lot to get little back in the way of quality urban amenities.
I am extremely optimistic about Columbus' future. I don't agree with every single thing the city does, and have been critical of individual projects and actions, but overall, I feel the city is heading in the right direction. I think your biggest problem with me is that I don't think you're used to someone constantly challenging your incessant whining and unrealistic views on development. You moved away because you thought you had found somewhere better. Good for you. A lot of people disagree. That's life, move on.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
Dude what is your point, they will charge what ever the market will bear. The Short North is in high demand and people will pay it. I would pay it if I could live downtown.
His point, quite literally, seems to be that unless the SN is building like Manhattan, no one should want to live there.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:02 AM

20 posts, read 37,406 times
This thread is for real????

Old 08-27-2013, 07:57 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,428,263 times
I love how the reality that has already occurred in other mid-size cities (note the plural) which are significantly smaller than Columbus is brushed aside as "Sim City" nonsense. Out of all the cities discussed so far, Columbus clearly stands out as the Sim City: a city of ~800,000 with only one trendy "hot" neighborhood yet manages not a single luxury apartment reaching 10 stories,, no rail transit, no bike lanes in Downtown or to neighborhoods right next to Downtown, only more roads and highways, not to mention if other neighborhoods were well connected (Franklinton, Olde Towne East, and Merion Village) they offer very little to warrant paying such high prices today.

So what, exactly from the above is it that you would say to convince someone to opt for a $1500 apartment in the Short North?

Old 08-27-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
So what, exactly from the above is it that you would say to convince someone to opt for a $1500 apartment in the Short North?
What is it that you find so hard to understand about occupancy rates? No one needs to convince YOU of anything.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:30 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,455 times
Quote:
Nobody is convincing anybody of anything. People chose to live there. This isn't communist Russia and nobody is being forced. Like I said before, make yourself up a sandwich and please go down to the Short North to inform everybody of what a bad deal they're getting. You'll get about as far as you're getting on this thread.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:09 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,428,263 times
Umm, with the Short North being the only such neighborhood of its kind in the entire city, yes, you are being forced to a certain degree. Both of you go back to playing Sim City where there's only one dense gentrified neighborhood with no mass transit and where it's impossible to build a luxury apartment 10 stories or more, because ,you know, there are just waaaaaaaay too many for the Short North to handle.

In other words you both agree with me: let people pay as much as they want for as little as they get. Wow, we all agree yet again! So, how has anything anyone said/typed in this thread contrary to the premise that luxury apartments in Columbus are way too expensive? Or did I miss out on how Franklinton, Olde Towne East,Merion Village, Hilltop, Merion Village, Steelton, Southern Orchards, Driving Park, Livingston Park, Old Oaks, Franklin Park, King Lincoln, South Linden, North Linden, Devon Triangle, Shepard, Milo Grogan, Weinland Park, and Krumm Park, are sooo worth paying high prices in the Short North because, you know, it's just a short light rail/subway ride away to spend an entire weekend in each: too much great stuff going on for me to ever keep up!

Last edited by Mplsite; 08-27-2013 at 09:18 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Umm, with the Short North being the only such neighborhood of its kind in the entire city, yes, you are being forced to a certain degree. Both of you go back to playing Sim City where there's only one dense gentrified neighborhood with no mass transit and where it's impossible to build a luxury apartment 10 stories or more, because ,you know, there are just waaaaaaaay too many for the Short North to handle.

In other words you both agree with me: let people pay as much as they want for as little as they get. Wow, we all agree yet again!

Old 08-28-2013, 01:41 AM

368 posts, read 638,489 times
not many cities columbus size have towers like miranova and north bank park,ive lived in cincy and phoenix denver etc..miranova is closer to manhattan than most midwestern cities could ever sniff..i think your jealous of columbus success mplsite..i mean i go to manhattan,fly to newark and take the train to penn station..a great weekend..new york is freaking awesome..i cant wait till we get an amtrak train through pittsburgh to new york..ill go once a month.dont waste money with a train to cleveland or cincy ..or toledo..columbus needs to be connected to new york and chicago.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:13 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,726,101 times
This thread is going nowhere constructive, I'm closing it before it turns into a big fight.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus