Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 11:17 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times

Advertisements

Just FYI, the unemployment rate dropped in March to 5% for the metro and 4.9% for the city, both well below the national and state average. So the local economy is doing well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 12:41 PM

146 posts, read 335,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfschrad View Post
Thank you for the responses, it is much appreciated. It is unfortunate that this post had to turn into some kind of hullabaloo. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, which is exactly what I wanted, advice and opinions.

This move is indeed happening, which I am quite nervous about, so if we could just stick to helpful tips and friendly advice instead of putting each other down and name calling I would be very grateful.

I read that Columbus is as big as San Francisco so it must have some redeeming qualities, no? Why do all these people live in Columbus? Was it hit hard by the recession? Are there any hiking or kayaking spots in surrounding areas? Local bands worth checking out? Is the cost of living pretty affordable? Just out of my own curiosity, what are the gas prices out there?

Please, lets just stick to being friendly and maybe helping a sister out here.

Thanks so much in advance!
Happy to help, I have spent quite a bit of time in Tahoe City and Truckee, my buddy actually ended up settling down and currently runs a business in Tahoe City. The negative posts tend to come from the same posters, and given that your relocation is "in flight", totally unnecessary. I'll comment briefly on the neighborhoods, and try to expand a little more on the activities.....

I would concentrate on Clintonville, Victorian Village/Short North/Harrison West/Italian Village, and Grandview. There are other areas as well, but these seem to have the most walk ability and amount of amenities. I personally live just adjacent to Grandview where I have Columbus taxes but am able to enjoy all of the things the area has to offer. Also, Grandview is 10 minutes to Ohio State, 10 minutes to downtown, and close to (2) major highways (315 & 670)

Regarding activities, Columbus isn't going to have the same DH biking as Tahoe and your not going to find any kayaking that rivals what you will find in Emerald Bay. That being said, Columbus will surprise you if you are willing to look. There is some Kayaking around, the no wake area of Alum Creek is gorgeous in the fall and you can get out in several other locations as well. Columbus has a great Wakeboarding scene April through October. You can work a full day and still get a few sets in before sundown without a problem. There are also 3 or 4 great lakes that are within striking distance (4 hours) to the South where we usually do a few houseboat trips every summer. There are skate parks scattered across the city and Columbus is working on a pretty integrated bike trail system. In the winter, there is a local "hill" that has a respectable terrain park. 2 hours away in Cleveland there is a really good indoor bike park with a pump track and other great features. In regards to biking, there is some great single track around Columbus. (3) trails for a total of 20 miles all within 30 minutes, 25 miles at Mohican one hour to the north, and 14 + miles at Lake Hope 45 minutes to the South. That is just a few of the trails that I ride most often, see (Spokejunkies:Mountain Biking the World and Beyond) for more. Mohican, Tar Hollow, Lake Hope, Zalenski, etc are just a few of the parks close to Columbus that have some decent hiking. These are all going to be between 1 to 2 hours however that won't be any different than driving from South Lake over to Mount Rose, but with half the summer tourist drivers. Feel free to PM me if you have some more specific questions. I think we can get you pointed in the right direction.

Last edited by other1; 04-22-2014 at 12:53 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 12:49 PM

9 posts, read 12,380 times
The neighborhoods that eventually works better for OP (near worthington downtown to take advantage of Olentangy park and the farmers market) do not offer much rentals. I'd say, rent wherever you can find a good apartment and explore the city before buying.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:32 PM

259 posts, read 428,348 times
I would check out the Experience Columbus website for a lot of ideas about things to do. Columbus has a lot of really fun festivals in the summer, my two favorites are the Asian Festival and Comfest (free national and local bands for 3 days on 3? stages). Both are free.

There is also a lot of outdoorsy stuff to do if you make an effort. Not as many people make an effort here as in CA, but there are a lot of good options. The bigger metroparks (High Banks, Darby Creek) have lovely hiking trails. I think you can kayak at Darby Creek too. I don't know a lot about kayaking but there is a newer kayak store on High Street just south of Worthington in Clintonville (next to the Firefly Play Cafe) and they may be able to point you in the right direction. It isn't too far of a drive ( maybe 1.5 hours?) to Old Man's Cave and Hocking Hills which are also amazing outdoorsy areas.

I think the main thing that will make or break your enjoyment of Columbus is finding friends. A lot of people in Columbus went to Ohio State and stayed friends with their college friends, so there aren't a lot of people freefloating looking for new friends like there would be in bigger cities. Work is obviously one good place to meet people. There are also a lot of fun young professional or interest-based clubs and social groups that might ease your way. Maybe there is a kayaking group? Group bike rides? A little searching around should turn up something.

The food scene in columbus is quite good, especially given the size of the city. You shouldn't have a problem finding vegetarian food at most restaurants. I would check out Northstar, Till, Explorer's Club, Skillet, and Liz Lessner's restaurants (Columbus Food League). They aren't all veggie but their veg options are delicious. Columbus also has both a great ethnic food resturant (alt.eats.columbus | Taking the path less eaten – alternative, off-beat and ethnic restaurants in Columbus, Ohio) and food truck community (Street Eats Columbus | Street Food in Columbus, Ohio). You can buy Luna Burgers at the Worthington and Clintonville farmers' markets. There are also some really good farm share options if you are into that.

Compared to California, people in Ohio tend to be very friendly...but it can get hard to get to know them well. Also, we really are interested in chatting with strangers and we wave or say hi to people we don't know when we pass them on the street. I noticed that a lot when we first moved back from California. It has been my experience that a lot of people don't want to intrude or ask too much of acquaintances (we are so midwestern polite!), so don't be afraid to ask people to hang out repeatedly.

Expect to experience a little culture shock. Even though the US is one big country, regional differences matter a lot (but it can be hard to put your finger on exactly what is different). Don't let the football fans get on your nerves too much either. It is just a local cultural tradition and amplified because OSU is such a huge school and so many people identify with it.

If it were me, I would make sure you rent a place in a fun area with a lot to do. When we moved from SF, we lived in the Short North for a year and that was a nice transition. There are lots of restaurants, bars and other young/single activities available there. If your job(s) are downtown or on the east side (say if you are working at Abercrombie or the Limited), I would live in the Short North or Grandview. If that area feels too urban or if you would like to be farther north or near the bike trail, I would say Clintonville or maybe near Old Worthington (though worthington skews more towards young families). Put yourself in a target-rich environment for activities and meeting new friends.

Good Luck!

Old 04-25-2014, 09:20 AM

27 posts, read 39,007 times
I went to OSU for four years and I am from Cleveland. I loved Columbus, and from your description I think you'll fit right in and I think you'll love the city... I am actually looking to move to SoCal right now, so right on!

Columbus is known as the Political Melting pot in my opinion. During poll time, Columbus is a hot bed because the diversity in the city (compared to all cities in the US) most represents the diversity of the country as a whole. They are also known for the beginning of chain restaurants; meaning many good restaurants start in Columbus. The food scene is fantastic and the organic culture that is growing in the country, can be seen well in Columbus.

The city itself is booming. A few years ago they updated the wiring in the city to fiber optics, so they are prepared for the tech wave and there are many big suburbs growing around the city. There are a bunch of pocket areas around the city that are fantastic. I would look at Clintonville - you can drive 2 miles down high street and only see a few chains, there are a ton of small businesses growing out of that area.... Walhalla Rd, Park of Roses are a few notes of interest.

I would look at the Short North - multiple vegan friendly restaurants. From your description I do not think you will have a problem, but the area has a high % of homosexuals FYI. It really is a fantastic area in my opinion.

Be sure to travel down 4th st, High and Olentangy to see the main roads. Grandville is another area of interest a little further from the campus.

Biking is rampant in the city so you will find more trails than you know what to do with. To travel from bars the guys on the bikes with carts to sit in the back are everywhere. I'm sure you can find riding clubs or some kind of cycling groups too.

Franklin Conservatory is awesome to hangout at. Downtown has a great vibe. Many festivals and the music scene is great in my opinion. I once dated a girl who is all she did was go to shows and she loved Columbus for it. The arena district has some great bars/restaurants and the Clippers stadium is a great evening. COSI is fantastic and is always something to do even if you don't have kids.

Columbus is a town that isn't very well advertised. It is a very artsy/fartsy city and has some great opportunity. The art walk in the short north every year is a treat. You have to immerse yourself in the city for a few months to really understand everything it has to offer - and you won't be disappointed.

Columbus, Ohio Travel Guide - Hotels, Attractions, Dining, Events This is decent website to see what the city offers. Check out Hocking Hills too. My girlfriend and I just rented a cabin there for the weekend and it was a great getaway.

I am looking to move to SoCal and I am flying to Anaheim to interview in a few weeks. A great metaphor - I am using Columbus as a city I am looking for that is most represented in Cali that is on the beach.

Feel free to ask me any questions, it would be great to get your opinion on SoCal as well! Check out my thread I posted and respond if you be so kind.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:53 PM

80 posts, read 142,146 times
Make your money in Columbus then move away to sunshine...

6 months of winter, to many cloudy days.... Can't wait to get out of here... Selling my business, both houses, cashing out

Old 04-29-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Da Beach View Post

6 months of winter, to many cloudy days.... Can't wait to get out of here... Selling my business, both houses, cashing out
Because everyone's version of paradise is exactly the same.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:51 PM

78 posts, read 145,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Da Beach View Post

Agree, me too. No, not everyone's idea of paradise is the same, but I sure don't hear many people talking about their dream home in flat, cloudy Colamebus. Usually there are mountains, a beach, or a notable landmark or landmarks around - not chain restaurants or a gigantic college that might as well own the town.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibityJibity View Post
Agree, me too. No, not everyone's idea of paradise is the same, but I sure don't hear many people talking about their dream home in flat, cloudy Colamebus. Usually there are mountains, a beach, or a notable landmark or landmarks around - not chain restaurants or a gigantic college that might as well own the town.
From experience, I can tell you that you're focused on the wrong things. Geography makes little difference in the lives of most people. I lived for 3 years at 8,000 feet surrounded by mountains, and the only thing that really mattered when I left was all the people I was going to leave behind.

22,000 people move to the Columbus metro every year, most of those to Franklin County and the majority of those to Columbus proper. It may not be paradise, but it has enough going for it to be attractive to quite a few people. I miss it every single day, and no matter where I end up in the world, that will always be true. You feel differently, but you also seem to be someone who hasn't really gained much perspective on what's important, because it's not a beach and it's not a few more days of sun. The fact that you make so many thread about how much you dislike where you live seems to be more about you. The last thing you want to be is like that bitter guy up in Minneapolis.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:58 AM

78 posts, read 145,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
From experience, I can tell you that you're focused on the wrong things. Geography makes little difference in the lives of most people. I lived for 3 years at 8,000 feet surrounded by mountains, and the only thing that really mattered when I left was all the people I was going to leave behind.

22,000 people move to the Columbus metro every year, most of those to Franklin County and the majority of those to Columbus proper. It may not be paradise, but it has enough going for it to be attractive to quite a few people. I miss it every single day, and no matter where I end up in the world, that will always be true. You feel differently, but you also seem to be someone who hasn't really gained much perspective on what's important, because it's not a beach and it's not a few more days of sun. The fact that you make so many thread about how much you dislike where you live seems to be more about you. The last thing you want to be is like that bitter guy up in Minneapolis.
Man, you have no clue I am, but thanks for the psychoanalysis and for sharing your obviously unparalleled "experience" and "perspective" with us all. We should all be so grateful!

This city is a B-, OP, but maybe that'll be enough for you. It isn't for me. I've given my position already; no need to be redundant. If someone wants to live in the last bastion of hope and unremarkable prosperity in an otherwise flat, boring, cloudy state whose other cities are decaying more and more each year, that's fine by me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus