Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 07:36 PM

564 posts, read 1,043,990 times

Advertisements

What part of Columbus is Ohio Dominican University in? I'm a non-traditional (older) female student thinking about coming there but I don't know the area - nearby towns, etc. What are the safer areas? Any temporary and reasonable places to live till figuring out the place and getting my bearings? I'd be bringing my old cat (18 y.o. and declawed) and my 8 yr. old collie mix dog with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 06:47 PM

200 posts, read 279,111 times
Howdy!
Ohio Dominican is located on the North East side of the city. Its adjacent to a few neighborhoods but the campus isnt exactly the kind of campus environment that you may see at other universities (think a main strip with shops,campus eats,stores etc). Its set in a park like setting and has had some updates making it a BEAUTIFUL campus.

As far as housing options go you will have to commute. There arent any apartments within a few miles of the campus BUT again the campus is accessible to major roads and highways. You are also close to the Easton area which has a huge mall and some apartment options spreading up and down Morse road.

If I were you, I would look for apartments in the downtown neighborhoods since you will definitley be commuting and you are not that far from the campus. German Village is a great area but an be a bit pricey. Old Town East is great option as well as King Lincoln/Woodland Park. There is also an inner ring suburb of Bexley that actually has a University in its boarders (Capital University) which means college students and housing. Captial is on par with ODU with the types of students they have i.e. non rowdy drunk in the street.

Actually the more I think about try looking in Bexley.

Also when i say you will have to commute I dont mean gas up your car get on the freeway for 15 mins. Think driving about 10 to 15 mins or less from your apartment,through the city to the University. The neighborhoods I mentioned are pretty much on the same side of town as the University. Honestly, you could live anywhere in the central city and not have a problem with your commute since most of your non school activities definitley will not be on campus since there is nothing around it.

But I have a hunch for quality of life reasons you may really like living in Bexley.

Last edited by stationplay; 09-14-2014 at 07:01 PM..

Old 09-14-2014, 06:58 PM

200 posts, read 279,111 times
I forgot to answer your safety question. The area directly surrounding ODU to the west/north west are mixed income blue collar/middle class African American neighborhoods. More so home owners versus renters in post WWII subdivision style homes. Some will tell you the area is sketchy but its not in the least. BUT again there aren't that many apartments in the area and the few that are i wouldnt live in for quality of life reasons with the exception of maybe one complex further down Sunbury road (the main drag that the campus is located)

Bexley is uber safe as well as many of the other downtown neighborhoods. Even try looking at Grandview. Its further but my hunch is its an area you would like considering the things you mentioned in your original post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: