Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:23 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,914,937 times

Advertisements

Here is a thread with more links for Columbus I posted.
//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...e-housing.html

Old 02-12-2008, 01:53 PM

245 posts, read 1,274,713 times
To GreyTercel's defense...

I once lived in Columbus for OSU, and from an outside-looking-in perspective Columbus is a very rude town. But it's especially rude if you base your opinion on your experiences with service people and especially government workers. <<< I don't care where you live in the US; I would NEVER suggest basing your level of happiness on the rudeness of service people and government workers.

Outta towner friends of mine also noticed "Columbus Rudeness" so I know that GeryTercel's opinion is not just some random abberation... Some of my outta-towner friend's more memorable comments...

Girl from Indy: "People here go out of their way to be rude, and nobody gets in trouble for it... It's like ya might as well be rude..."
Girl from CT: "I think people here are just pissed off because they're in Ohio..."
Bar Manager: "Yeah I know my bartenders are rude... ...what can I say Columbus is a low service town... I could replace all of them today and it'd be the same thing all over again tomorrow."

Some points to consider:
* Ohio is not "The Heartland Midwest," it's the "Rustbelt Midwest." If you're wanting to move to a friendly part of the Midwest, you really should pass over Ohio.
* Columbus is a transient city and a big college town, and transient college towns tend to be higher on the rudeness scale.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:53 PM

80 posts, read 277,950 times
Thank you for proving my point about Columbus. Your response does that well.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:00 PM

YoMikey, well, thanks for coming to my defense but I have to say to you and a couple of the others that have responded, I wish you guys would actually read what I said....I did not say I based my opinion of Columbus on the demeanor of government workers--I said they are the best but not the only example of the problem....But , yes, a lot of everyday people who move in here or visit here without a lot of money in their hands or influence or social standing , be it students, working class people, whoever, are met with rudeness....maybe the point that should be taken from all of this is: Things need to change. Franklin County is deteriorating and quality people seem to be moving to neighboring counties...and I know at least part of the reason for that.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:07 PM

2006 Buckeye--you prove my point so well...double talk and bullying.....yes, I said pose as someone looking for information or services to see how you will be treated--a wise idea, not a waste of time---I have already made that point clear....

No, I am not talking about welfare offices....I could say more, but this getting into a discourse of a personal attack nature and I don't want to go there.....again, you prove my point so, so well.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:22 PM

231 posts, read 812,534 times
greytercel, seems like you are doing the double talk here. No real content, but just talk of general feeling.

But when asked for more specifics, instead you attacked others by doing your double talk again and again. You said Columbus is Rude and Bullying. Then your statement above switched to only "Franklin county". You presented A shinning example of Double Talk.

Simple facts like this city is growing and constantly voted as an Affordable and Desirable place to live Simply trounced your personal experiences.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:30 PM

Who asked me for specifics? I'll give them some....where/who?!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:36 PM

897 posts, read 2,827,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greytercel View Post
YoMikey, well, thanks for coming to my defense but I have to say to you and a couple of the others that have responded, I wish you guys would actually read what I said....I did not say I based my opinion of Columbus on the demeanor of government workers--I said they are the best but not the only example of the problem....But , yes, a lot of everyday people who move in here or visit here without a lot of money in their hands or influence or social standing , be it students, working class people, whoever, are met with rudeness....maybe the point that should be taken from all of this is: Things need to change. Franklin County is deteriorating and quality people seem to be moving to neighboring counties...and I know at least part of the reason for that.

So when are you moving? Sounds to me like you'll be much happier once you've moved on. I don't think your post is going to detract any newcomers to the area. You just sound like a very unhappy person that just needed to vent. It happens a lot on the internet.

I am fairly new to the area, and contrary to your views, I think Columbus is wonderful and everyone I've met has been very nice. However, I tend to be nice to everyone I meet (in person or over the phone) so that may be why my experience is so different from yours.

I am new to the midwest (a native Southerner) and I'm quite impressed by Columbus (not rust-belt by any means) and it's steady, smart growth. I think that the growth in the surrounding counties shows that Columbus MSA is growing with newcomers like myself - but I could be wrong.

Good luck with everything!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:40 PM

So, why are you assuming that I am not nice when I deal with people here? Isn't that rather presumptuous and catty?

Old 02-12-2008, 03:15 PM

897 posts, read 2,827,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greytercel View Post
So, why are you assuming that I am not nice when I deal with people here? Isn't that rather presumptuous and catty?
One just needs to read your original post to come to that conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus