Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 10:50 PM

10 posts, read 64,164 times

Advertisements

Hello, can someone with a healthy and balanced opinion help us. We may be moving to Columbus, OH in just a couple of months. I'm a 40 plus female with my 73 year old mother. This is a sudden move based on family issues and I don't feel that I can be too choosey, yet I don't want to settle for anything if I don't have to. We're from Chicago, this is where I was born and raised. We complain about it sometimes but I suspect our mass transit system is one of the best, I do know many people still who've never owned a car including myself. I got my drivers license months back anticipating this move to another state where the transportation may not be as good. I've been renting cars presently. We don't have much money, we live in a decent 1bedroom APT on the near westside. My real concerns about making a sudden move is going from bad to worse or jumping from the frying pan into the fire. I'm gathering info on Columbus but I know there is much more I need to know. WHAT I NEED: Can't afford to live in the most ritziest areas or apartments in Columbus but I'm hoping I can find a decent apartment that is in a decent neighborhood not completely overwhelmed by slums or crime. There are (2) apartments I'm interested in, one is on the near east side (Whitehall) it's only 4 to 6 miles from Port Columbus Airport, the area didn't look too bad to me and there seemed to be a fair amount of businesses and restaurants near the apartment and it's on south Hamilton Rd. The other apartment complex is on north Wilson Rd. and there seems to be a decent amount of places to shop. My research consists of Google Maps and Google Earth as far as getting a feel for the area. I plan to visit these areas soon before I make my final decision, it's tough when you've never lived in a place. I've only passed through Ohio headed to Virginia on Greyhound. Can someone who knows these areas help? A touchy subject is race, I do not want to offend anyone I just want to be honest. Me and my mother are black, the only example I can give is that being a Chicagoan I have an idea of the more racist areas to avoid and I have no idea about Columbus, Ohio. Most post I've read seem to be positive about race relations in Columbus. I even examined the racial info in the zip codes. The (Whitehall) zip 43213 appears a bit more diverse than the (Valleyview) zip 43204, I think the neighborhood is called Greater Hilltop in Valleyview. I would appreciate help from anyone black or white who knows these areas. Thanks So Much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 11:42 PM

105 posts, read 170,562 times
Find the job first.
Gahanna is good choice.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:20 AM

94 posts, read 333,597 times
There isn't a big problem with being Black in Columbus or any neighboring cities.

Whitehall tends to be more lower income Whites and Blacks. Dublin is more Whites and Asians, middle to upper incomes. However, you'll also see lower income pockets on Sawmill Road and Bethel Road areas occupied by Mexicans particularly. Hillard is OK, going further West into Galloway and your entering the same type of area as Whitehall.

The Hilltop area is very poor, very run down, and crime is higher. I grew up in Whitehall, and we moved out of there decades ago because an assumed criminal was shot by police and bled on our mini-van.

Wealth brings cleanliness, and poor areas bring crime and trash. You'd be fine living in Westerville, Dublin, or Hilliard. While those cities tend to be more middle to upper incomes, you'll find suitable living in any of them, even if you are looking for like a $600 a month apartment. There are pockets of these in all of those three cities. But, you and your grandmother won't really have to worry about crime, or have racial slurs thrown at you. People are just here trying to make a living and raise their kids.

On a different note, I have driven through the projects in Chicago, and if you're used to that, the Hilltop will actually seem like an upgrade. However, I would never live in the Hilltop or let my 73 year old mother be exposed to potential danger like that.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:49 AM

797 posts, read 2,338,209 times
I agree with Seafood Guy. Avoid Hilltop, it's probably one of the worst areas of town. Whitehall has some okay areas, but I would also avoid that area. Wasn't there just a mass murder on Hamilton Rd in that area where a man went to rob his Mexican neighbors and shot 7 people?

I personally have a 2 bedroom 1.5 bathroom apartment on the border of Dublin and Columbus that I only pay $600 a month for. It was actually only $550 for the first year because of a move in deal. It has a fireplace, a balcony with a large storage closet, large walk in closets for both bedrooms, dishwasher, and a small room for a washer and dryer. There is also a Kroger, CVS, and a few restaurants and other stores in walking distance.

I would say though that you should figure out where you will be working before finding and apartment. You pretty much need a car to live in Columbus. There is a bus line, but it doesn't service enough areas to make it really effective, especially if you are going to be comparing it to where you live now. As a general piece of advice, I would say the nicest neighborhoods in the area are those that do NOT have an actual Columbus address. There are pockets, but the safest bet for someone who is brand new to the area would be to look in one of the suburbs either inside or outside of the I-270 loop.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a direct message.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
I agree with Seafood Guy. Avoid Hilltop, it's probably one of the worst areas of town. Whitehall has some okay areas, but I would also avoid that area. Wasn't there just a mass murder on Hamilton Rd in that area where a man went to rob his Mexican neighbors and shot 7 people?

I personally have a 2 bedroom 1.5 bathroom apartment on the border of Dublin and Columbus that I only pay $600 a month for. It was actually only $550 for the first year because of a move in deal. It has a fireplace, a balcony with a large storage closet, large walk in closets for both bedrooms, dishwasher, and a small room for a washer and dryer. There is also a Kroger, CVS, and a few restaurants and other stores in walking distance.

I would say though that you should figure out where you will be working before finding and apartment. You pretty much need a car to live in Columbus. There is a bus line, but it doesn't service enough areas to make it really effective, especially if you are going to be comparing it to where you live now. As a general piece of advice, I would say the nicest neighborhoods in the area are those that do NOT have an actual Columbus address. There are pockets, but the safest bet for someone who is brand new to the area would be to look in one of the suburbs either inside or outside of the I-270 loop.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a direct message.
Thanks for your response and the advice!!!

Old 10-17-2009, 03:47 PM

THANKS SEAFOOD GUY! I will consider these things, your advice is appreciated.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:26 AM

216 posts, read 627,928 times
I second the vote for Gahanna! I am assuming with a older mother, you might prefer not to have stairs. I would also check craigs list to rent a condo. There are tons of them like this one 2br - Beautiful 2 Bedroom Worthington Condo (http://columbus.craigslist.org/apa/1400184062.html - broken link) and I bet people will negotiate on rent, as they are having a hard time selling them right now.!

Old 10-20-2009, 03:02 PM

9 posts, read 23,416 times
Default Check out www.liveworkplayColumbus.com

If you are considering moving to Columbus, Ohio, I can offer you some resources to help you get connected. First, check out liveworkplayColumbus.com. It provides information and links to resources to help people get to know Columbus, from neighborhoods to arts & culture to information about the economy/industries/employers.

Speaking of employers, check out OhioMeansJobs.com, a free resource that is powered by Monster.com, to post your resume and find employers who are hiring. (The Columbus zipcode is 43215.)

There are many, many people who live in Columbus who are just like you: they are from someplace else. And they love living here! Columbus is a community of great diversity so, no matter your background, you will likely find your place here. Welcome home!

Old 10-20-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoerin View Post
i second the vote for gahanna! I am assuming with a older mother, you might prefer not to have stairs. I would also check craigs list to rent a condo. There are tons of them like this one 2br - beautiful 2 bedroom worthington condo (http://columbus.craigslist.org/apa/1400184062.html - broken link) and i bet people will negotiate on rent, as they are having a hard time selling them right now.!
thanks so much chicagoerin!!!

Old 10-20-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea-ColumbusChamber View Post
If you are considering moving to Columbus, Ohio, I can offer you some resources to help you get connected. First, check out liveworkplayColumbus.com. It provides information and links to resources to help people get to know Columbus, from neighborhoods to arts & culture to information about the economy/industries/employers.

Speaking of employers, check out OhioMeansJobs.com, a free resource that is powered by Monster.com, to post your resume and find employers who are hiring. (The Columbus zipcode is 43215.)

There are many, many people who live in Columbus who are just like you: they are from someplace else. And they love living here! Columbus is a community of great diversity so, no matter your background, you will likely find your place here. Welcome home!
Thanks for the advice, I will do just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus