Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 01:18 PM

4 posts, read 3,726 times

Advertisements

Hi, my name is Deanie! I'm 22...will be 23 in May. I'm moving to the Cbus area. I'll be living in Pickerington, and I think that's not technically cbus, but it's not too far away...24 minute drive or so! My cousin & I were given a house so that's not something I have to worry about thank goodness!!

I have an outgoing personality, and I'm not opposed to trying or learning about anything. I did some reading, and I saw that Columbus is one of the smartest cities in the US, and that's very exciting lol. I like coffee shops & libraries so I'm just wondering what kind of things there are to do in the area for someone my age besides the usual drinking..(I come from Wisconsin where drinking beer is the state hobby) I love outdoors activities so any trails, nearby hiking, horseback riding, and camping would be amazing.

I speak Korean which is why I was drawn to Columbus..so I could attend OSU. Are there any cultural Korean centers with language classes? Korean restaurants would be a tasty plus!! I am black so I would like to know where are more diverse parts of town..I think being exposed to different cultures is very important it allows you to see things from another POV.
These kinds of things are difficult for me. Haha. I never thought I would be posting in a forum like this, and I'm not quite sure what all I should be putting here, but my cousin is a few years older and we have different interests so I can't exactly ask her...

There's not a real topic to this..so tell me everything. What are you favorite things to do?!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 03:36 PM

908 posts, read 1,419,628 times
If you want to socialize with Koreans your own age, OSU has a conversation partners program where Korean people are trying to improve their English, however someone who can use Korean phrases to help them understand things better would be useful. Other people are better than I am at knowing the best hangout spots.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:34 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,446,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billygoat_ View Post
Hi, my name is Deanie! I'm 22...will be 23 in May. I'm moving to the Cbus area. I'll be living in Pickerington, and I think that's not technically cbus, but it's not too far away...24 minute drive or so! My cousin & I were given a house so that's not something I have to worry about thank goodness!!

I have an outgoing personality, and I'm not opposed to trying or learning about anything. I did some reading, and I saw that Columbus is one of the smartest cities in the US, and that's very exciting lol. I like coffee shops & libraries so I'm just wondering what kind of things there are to do in the area for someone my age besides the usual drinking..(I come from Wisconsin where drinking beer is the state hobby) I love outdoors activities so any trails, nearby hiking, horseback riding, and camping would be amazing.

I speak Korean which is why I was drawn to Columbus..so I could attend OSU. Are there any cultural Korean centers with language classes? Korean restaurants would be a tasty plus!! I am black so I would like to know where are more diverse parts of town..I think being exposed to different cultures is very important it allows you to see things from another POV.
These kinds of things are difficult for me. Haha. I never thought I would be posting in a forum like this, and I'm not quite sure what all I should be putting here, but my cousin is a few years older and we have different interests so I can't exactly ask her...

There's not a real topic to this..so tell me everything. What are you favorite things to do?!
Thanks
There are many threads in this forum discussing things to do, but also see post 8 in this thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cinci...ound-ohio.html

Definitely check out the local metroparks.

http://www.metroparks.net/

Old 02-06-2017, 02:55 AM

I figured there would be a program like that at OSU. I guess I was just wondering what the community was like. I can speak english and korean very well so it's not a problem. I'll just be leaving all my 친구 (friends) behind! Thank you for responding!!

Old 02-06-2017, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
There are many threads in this forum discussing things to do, but also see post 8 in this thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cinci...ound-ohio.html

Definitely check out the local metroparks.

Metro Parks - Central Ohio Parks System
I saw that there were many threads, but I thought maybe I could get a more specific answer. There doesn't seem to be too many people in my age asking lol. I'm mature, but I'm not 30 or a professional. Hehe
Thank you so much for those links! I will definitely check them out

Old 02-06-2017, 06:41 AM

23 posts, read 25,175 times
There are lots of great Korean restaurants to check out! The best I have found is called Silla. I lived in Korea for a few years, and I find it to be the most authentic. It is located in NW Columbus. If you drive up and down Bethel, Henderson, and Morse Roads, you can pretty much find food from all over the world.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:32 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,446,525 times
Pehaps check out meetup.com.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:58 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,074,066 times
Korean is not yet a hugely spoken language in Columbus, but like many others, it is growing. Between 2009 and 2014, the number of Korean speakers rose nearly 30% to about 2,400, which made it the 9th largest group of non-English speakers. Keep in mind this is the number of people who speak it at home, and not necessarily those with Korean-language abilities, which I am sure is a larger number.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:20 AM

90 posts, read 111,086 times
If you will be attending OSU, you'll be exposed to many people your age from all over the world. One of the most popular Korean restaurants is located right across from campus at High & Lane, Diaspora (https://www.yelp.com/biz/diaspora-columbus).

I would also highly suggest checking out Saraga International Market (https://www.yelp.com/biz/saraga-inte...ocery-columbus) on Morse Rd and the Japan Marketplace collection of shops/restaurants/market on Henderson (JAPAN MARKETPLACE).

Morse Rd and SR-161 on the Northeast side are home to large contingents of African immigrant communities and have some really great markets, shops, and restaurants to check out. The same can be said for the Northwest side around Bethel and Sawmill Rds for Asian communities, and on the West side (Broad St area) for Hispanic communities.

The traditional base of African Americans in Columbus is on the Near East Side, (Long St, and Main St) and there are nice restaurants and cultural things to do in that area as well (https://www.yelp.com/biz/creole-kitchen-columbus, https://www.yelp.com/biz/d-and-l-san...kings-columbus, The King Arts Complex | Where Dreams Come Alive!, | Lincoln Theatre |.

For Caribbean/Jamaican I would look at Cleveland Ave, especially Ena's Kitchen (https://www.yelp.com/biz/enas-caribb...tchen-columbus).

Columbus Food Adventures (https://columbusfoodadventures.com/) offers tours of many of the more out-of-the-way and "hidden gem" type places, but it's also fun and perfectly doable to explore on your own.

The more general, "hip" places to go in Columbus include the Short North, German Village, the North Market, and Grandview. These are all clustered around OSU and Downtown. There are many awesome places and things to do there that can either involve (or not) drinking you'd probably enjoy. If you like art, I would especially recommend the Pizzuti Collection which exhibits contemporary artists from around the world (https://pizzuticollection.org/).

I could actually go on and on, but you probably get the idea, and can use this list to start exploring and finding more places on your own. There are really a ton of ways to experience diverse cultures in Columbus. The one drawback that leaps out at me from your post is that you'll be living out in Pickerington (which is much more "white bread" and bland IMHO), but as you mentiioned, it's not that far away from the actual city.

Good luck with the move and welcome to Cbus!

Old 02-06-2017, 12:22 PM

908 posts, read 1,419,628 times
I think there are a lot more Korean-Americans in the Dayton area than in the Columbus area, but it's not like they're all clustered in one spot or have much of a cultural center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus