Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 07:54 PM

255 posts, read 414,182 times

Advertisements

I am currently a college student, but Columbus is one of my top 2 choices of where I would like to go to live & work after I graduate. I would be seeking a relatively affordable, quiet, safe apartment with access to public transportation in Columbus and/or Grandview Heights. What are the options like that would fit that criteria? I already know rents are soaring in the city, so there might be difficulties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 07:46 AM

13 posts, read 14,681 times
Check along King Ave and also along N Star in Grandview. That is where the affordable Grandview Apartments are.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:38 PM

135 posts, read 183,452 times
Most apartments in Grandview aren't complexes. There are more complexes than there used to be, but most places are still one-building mom-and-pop type places. How many bedrooms are you looking for, and what's your budget? The majority of units are 2BR and run around $1000/month. The majority of 1BRs are in the King/North Star Area and generally run around $500-600/month. Pretty much everywhere in the area is quiet and safe, and it's one of the few parts of Columbus with good public transportation.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:15 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,848 times
Ditto to Kevin. I have friends who have lived or lived in that area. You are surrounded by tons to do. It is safe. Public transit, for Columbus at least, isn't bad. I'd still recommend thinking about a car, but it isn't a necessity the moment you move, if you move to this area. Grocery can be found at Kroger on Northwest Blvd and Giant Eagle along Grandview and 3rd (?). There is also a brand-new Giant Eagle Market District (think like a sort of Wegman's, if you know that brand). Target and

Biking may be an option (don't let the MSP-based poster scare you). But be careful as cars still play a central role in Columbus commutes and travel and said poster is right about that. Around that area, the highest speed is 35 mph but all side streets are 25 and I believe King or 5th is 25. You'd be liable to be hit from someone pulling out of a driveway or parking lot. AND DON'T BIKE ON THE SIDEWALKS. That is a lesson OSU students should learn (and some do the very hard way), even around campus. The only road that can be pretty busy and dangerous for inexperienced bicycling is Olentangy Rive Road, where AMC, Target, Barnes & Nobles and other big box stores can be found. It is 4 lanes and varies between 35 and 45 with on and off ramps to OH-315. Public buses do travel into this shopping center. Grandview Yard (next to the GE Market District) would be another place that is slowly being built up and out, but it seems to have a more office approach to what I remember the original intent was to be.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:50 PM

255 posts, read 414,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbelt View Post
Most apartments in Grandview aren't complexes. There are more complexes than there used to be, but most places are still one-building mom-and-pop type places. How many bedrooms are you looking for, and what's your budget? The majority of units are 2BR and run around $1000/month. The majority of 1BRs are in the King/North Star Area and generally run around $500-600/month. Pretty much everywhere in the area is quiet and safe, and it's one of the few parts of Columbus with good public transportation.
Won't know about budget until I would get a job. Would be looking for one bedroom.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:42 PM

490 posts, read 863,148 times
The Quarry apartment complex is off of 5th Avenue on the other side of the Scioto River from Grandview Heights. Not sure if COTA buses run past the complex, but I think they do. It was a nice complex 15 years ago, I assume it still is. Easy access to Grandview and downtown.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:29 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus76 View Post
The Quarry apartment complex is off of 5th Avenue on the other side of the Scioto River from Grandview Heights. Not sure if COTA buses run past the complex, but I think they do. It was a nice complex 15 years ago, I assume it still is. Easy access to Grandview and downtown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus76 View Post
Cota does indeed stop right outside of the complex.

Benefits:
+Proximity to 670, able to get downtown in 10-12 minutes, Grandview Ave/Yard, Short North and OSU
+Aesthetically pleasing i.e. big lake in center of complex, two pools, pretty decent fitness centers
+Safe (surrounded by Upper Arlington, 5th by Northwest and Grandview)
+Floor plans have decent space

Cons:
- Management isn't the brightest bunch
-More of a suburban oriented complex i.e. no sidewalks, you would want a car, not really walkable to any stores/restaurants
- There are more centrally located apartment complexes (although you'd pay a lot more_

Old 02-01-2017, 11:35 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
I am currently a college student, but Columbus is one of my top 2 choices of where I would like to go to live & work after I graduate. I would be seeking a relatively affordable, quiet, safe apartment with access to public transportation in Columbus and/or Grandview Heights. What are the options like that would fit that criteria? I already know rents are soaring in the city, so there might be difficulties.
I'm a recent college grad as well and live in the Grandview/5th By Northwest area.

A lot of the newer complexes in 5th By Norhwest/Greater Grandview area are not exactly cheap i.e. The View on 5th, The Meridian, 600 Goodale, and the Apartments at The Yard.

The area has great access to downtown/the short north and OSU while being safe and a more quiet area. The row of restaurants on Grandview Ave is a gem in Columbus and offer excellent happy hours/food.

In my opinion the "cheaper" apartments in the area would be Heritage or Runaway Bay.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:45 PM

135 posts, read 183,452 times
Heritage, FWIW, has a bad reputation for being a little too cheap.

I've known people who've lived at both Runaway Bay and the Quarry. They're nice enough, I guess, but they're not really in Grandview. They're across the river from what's traditionally considered the Grandview area (actually Marble Cliff, but tomato tomato), and they are even further from the main commercial areas like Grandview Avenue. The bus does run by it, but Columbus buses are notoriously bad.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:54 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,345,294 times
OP, you might want to think about Clintonville. Nice residential area, quiet, better access to buses (High St. and also Indianola Ave.) The area north of Hudson and south of Morse has quite a few very nice 1BR apts that are reasonable. Close to buses, stores, restaurants. Not 'complexes' but well-kept 4 unit apt bldgs. with low turnover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus