Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Columbus ever be the largest metro in Ohio?
Yes (definitely) 68 51.13%
No (never) 25 18.80%
Maybe 40 30.08%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 11:37 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten653 View Post
I wasn't suggesting that it would or should happen.
It is a net negative for the rest of Ohio to lose population to Columbus. I don't see the controversy here. It is happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
You make some excellent points. Personally, after having lived in L.A. and NYC I am pretty dang happy with the lack of big city congestion in Cincinnati. I mean, sure there's traffic and congestion but nothing that is remotely comparable to LA/NYC. Having more population a better city does not make.

Then theres the rose-colored booster glasses people on city data like to wear. Ive literally marvelled at the lack of actual relevant data that several posters allow in their content. Its sad really. Its like they want everyone to believe that Columbus is some super-metropolis in the making and it's nothing of the sort. More than anything Columbus has found a way to keep it's population larger within the city limits and that's likely to get more federal money for whatever they can get it for.
The difference in reality vs expectation for Columbus if you're going by population, growth numbers, and forums like this might be the starkest in the country.

Old 05-02-2023, 12:59 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,231,790 times
Quote:
Columbus' growth is not at the expense of the state.
Columbus didnt cause the mass job loss in Ohio's manufacturing centered cities, that I will concede. But if Columbus draws people out of other areas due to those cities failing economies then the population shift is a loss for the contriburing cities and vastly affects the health of Ohio as a whole. I get the competitive mindset where anyone could chime in and say "well, those cities should have created jobs." and I would say that is kind of like blaming the victim. Post industrial cities didn't have much of a choice in the matter, the companies left for whatever the reason may be. Perhaps take a look at East Cleveland and tell me how one cities gain is not another cities loss. Columbus is definately drawing people in from around the state for jobs thats undeniable.

Old 05-02-2023, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The difference in reality vs expectation for Columbus if you're going by population, growth numbers, and forums like this might be the starkest in the country.
Ne doubt, really good points. Maybe I should drink some booster-aid and pretend that Columbus is the next Tokyo.

Old 05-02-2023, 01:29 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,370,412 times
Taking a look at year-to-date housing starts and it appears that CBDMetro has pulled nearly even with CBusMetro in the first 3 months of 2023. I doubt that has happened in several decades.

https://www.census.gov/construction/...ml&c_year=2023

And considering Cincy Dayton Middletown Hamilton have a much larger inventory of abandoned homes and therefore a larger numbers of gut rehabs of such properties, it is very possible that it has pulled ahead CBus in terms of new housing. Time will tell if this will hold for the rest of the year.

Old 05-02-2023, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Taking a look at year-to-date housing starts and it appears that CBDMetro has pulled nearly even with CBusMetro in the first 3 months of 2023. I doubt that has happened in several decades.

https://www.census.gov/construction/...ml&c_year=2023

And considering Cincy Dayton Middletown Hamilton have a much larger inventory of abandoned homes and therefore a larger numbers of gut rehabs of such properties, it is very possible that it has pulled ahead CBus in terms of new housing. Time will tell if this will hold for the rest of the year.
Im a project manager in residential construction as well as a lead carpenter in both rough and finish carpentry. Ive worked from Dayton to Kentucky and there is a bunch of rehabs going on with vacant homes. Moreso in Cincinnati and surrounding areas but even Middleton has kicked into high gear. There are a lot of investors both small and large. Heck, in Hamilton County you can barely get your hands on a foreclosure because they get snapped up so quickly by investors, et al. This area has been rebuilding for years and it's still gaining mometum inspite of covid and other set backs.

Old 05-02-2023, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Columbus didnt cause the mass job loss in Ohio's manufacturing centered cities, that I will concede. But if Columbus draws people out of other areas due to those cities failing economies then the population shift is a loss for the contriburing cities and vastly affects the health of Ohio as a whole. I get the competitive mindset where anyone could chime in and say "well, those cities should have created jobs." and I would say that is kind of like blaming the victim. Post industrial cities didn't have much of a choice in the matter, the companies left for whatever the reason may be. Perhaps take a look at East Cleveland and tell me how one cities gain is not another cities loss. Columbus is definately drawing people in from around the state for jobs thats undeniable.
To a large degree, it's not really anyone's "fault" that cities lose population due to a changing economy. You can point to a few bad politicians or whatever, but at the end of the day, the same general trend happened in Baltimore, St Louis, Buffalo, Boston, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Chicago, etc etc. There were way larger, global forces at work than just "lol your city sucks now", which is how most of these Columbus people seem to think happened. Columbus lost out big time by not being an industrial center and then benefitted from that same thing later. I personally will have no sympathy once the world starts moving away from higher education and fake white collar jobs and Columbus declines by 30-50%.

Old 05-02-2023, 05:15 PM

160 posts, read 87,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
It is a net negative for the rest of Ohio to lose population to Columbus. I don't see the controversy here. It is happening.

Quote:

If you look at data of migration (in and out) of cities, you'll see that every county gains and loses to other adjacent counties, other metros, other states.

1 It's better for Ohio if at least those who leave another Ohio county that they move in state.
2 The main issue - because again, there's always a flow of in and out migration no matter what city you are - is that the struggling cities need to improve their in-migration. No, that's not easy of course, but there's no way around it.

Old 05-03-2023, 04:22 AM

Quote:
If you look at data of migration (in and out) of cities, you'll see that every county gains and loses to other adjacent counties, other metros, other states.

1 It's better for Ohio if at least those who leave another Ohio county that they move in state.
2 The main issue - because again, there's always a flow of in and out migration no matter what city you are - is that the struggling cities need to improve their in-migration. No, that's not easy of course, but there's no way around it.
Your second point always seems to be the crux of the matter because all politicians can do is maket an area's amenities and existing strengths. IMO, politicians are mostly inept at prooviding amenities, it's beyond the scope of what most of them can reasonably do which at times seems isnt too much. So why do companies select an area to locate/relocate to? Rhetorical of course but if an area can't compete what are they to do. Once a city becomes deteriorated on the scale of Detroit what is a city to do to cause in-migration? It becomes a vicous cycle. I think it really comes down to an areas diversity in terms of various types of industry. Post manufacturing cities have had the hardest time in this area. But some of them have managed to turn their fortunes.

Old 05-03-2023, 02:37 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,115 times
Looks like Google is building out more data centers in the Columbus area.
https://news.wosu.org/2023-05-03/goo...n-central-ohio

Nice to see the investment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus