Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Columbus ever be the largest metro in Ohio?
Yes (definitely) 68 51.13%
No (never) 25 18.80%
Maybe 40 30.08%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2023, 03:21 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Well, it can't continue on the same trajectory and it be a net plus for everyone. In the case of Dayton, Cleveland, Toledo, and to a lesser part Cincinnati, off shored jobs are the cause of the problem as well as Detroits collapse. Dayton, for example, manufactured a lot of parts for Detroit plants to assmble. There's other factors as well. But my point is that the areas that shed mass manufacturing jobs leaves many who were laid off and need to work someplace. Im almost positive that Columbus isn't adding manufacturing jobs but a more diverse economy such as technology, healthcare, etc. So it's not like Columbus actually took the jobs away from other cities. My two cents anyway. Also, Cincinnati fared better though took a beating as well. Cincy economy is diverse and this area does a good job attracting jobs, though, the parochial boneheads around here see jobs added in Westchester vs Cincinnati as a loss, where I see it as a plus for the metro area. Too many fiefdoms around here.

I used to live in Dayton and can testify first hand of the destruction that ensued when the Moraine GM plant closed taking with it around 4000 jobs from it's peak. Dayton has lost NCR since then. My point is the utter devestation caused by these and other closures. Until these post-manufacturing cities figure out how to lure businesses I don't see anything to keep cities such as Dayton from their downward spiral. Well, Wright Patt buoys Dayton and other cities I mentioned have their bright spots as well. Dayton has relatively healthy suburbs and a very unhealthy anchor city.

My poiny in my past several posts is the trend cannot continue forever, because there are already more people leaving the state of Ohio and Columbus as well for the current groth pattern in Columbus to continue. Of course I could be dead wrong, but it's my speculation based on our discourse here.
When Cleveland, Cincinnati, Akron, Canton, Toledo, Youngstown etc were growing, it was predominantly from other states and internationally. It was actually beneficial to the entire state how successful all these cities were at the same time. Columbus just sloshes around resources/people and re-directs it to their own city limits. Net negative for the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2023, 05:16 PM

194 posts, read 85,300 times
Quote:
Well, it can't continue on the same trajectory and it be a net plus for everyone. In the case of Dayton, Cleveland, Toledo, and to a lesser part Cincinnati, off shored jobs are the cause of the problem as well as Detroits collapse. Dayton, for example, manufactured a lot of parts for Detroit plants to assmble. There's other factors as well. But my point is that the areas that shed mass manufacturing jobs leaves many who were laid off and need to work someplace. Im almost positive that Columbus isn't adding manufacturing jobs but a more diverse economy such as technology, healthcare, etc. So it's not like Columbus actually took the jobs away from other cities. My two cents anyway. Also, Cincinnati fared better though took a beating as well. Cincy economy is diverse and this area does a good job attracting jobs, though, the parochial boneheads around here see jobs added in Westchester vs Cincinnati as a loss, where I see it as a plus for the metro area. Too many fiefdoms around here.

I used to live in Dayton and can testify first hand of the destruction that ensued when the Moraine GM plant closed taking with it around 4000 jobs from it's peak. Dayton has lost NCR since then. My point is the utter devestation caused by these and other closures. Until these post-manufacturing cities figure out how to lure businesses I don't see anything to keep cities such as Dayton from their downward spiral. Well, Wright Patt buoys Dayton and other cities I mentioned have their bright spots as well. Dayton has relatively healthy suburbs and a very unhealthy anchor city.

My poiny in my past several posts is the trend cannot continue forever, because there are already more people leaving the state of Ohio and Columbus as well for the current groth pattern in Columbus to continue. Of course I could be dead wrong, but it's my speculation based on our discourse here.
The trend will likely continue forever, which is our lifetime. The entirety of those posting on this topic. If Columbus ever heads the other way, nobody posting here will be alive to see it.

And they are predicting the Columbus metro population to be 3 million in 2050. How many of us are going to be alive on here to see that? A good number of us probably won’t see when Columbus hits 3 million let alone if it ever starts to decline.

Old 05-01-2023, 06:25 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailerman9192 View Post
The trend will likely continue forever, which is our lifetime. The entirety of those posting on this topic. If Columbus ever heads the other way, nobody posting here will be alive to see it.

And they are predicting the Columbus metro population to be 3 million in 2050. How many of us are going to be alive on here to see that? A good number of us probably won’t see when Columbus hits 3 million let alone if it ever starts to decline.
That's 27 years away, I plan on being here. That will make me 85. Eh, maybe you're right. I wonder if we'll have city data at that time?

Old 05-02-2023, 04:49 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
When Cleveland, Cincinnati, Akron, Canton, Toledo, Youngstown etc were growing, it was predominantly from other states and internationally. It was actually beneficial to the entire state how successful all these cities were at the same time. Columbus just sloshes around resources/people and re-directs it to their own city limits. Net negative for the state.
I can see your point. Perhaps Colmbus being a capitol city and infested with politicians is the reason why they want the population higher and are willing to move the borders to engulf suburban cimmunities: federal m oney.

Old 05-02-2023, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailerman9192 View Post

Well, if it does great, but I have seen many, many things change that and change drastically that I thought never would. So it really can go either way.

Old 05-02-2023, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Well, if it does great, but I have seen many, many things change that and change drastically that I thought never would. So it really can go either way.
I honestly find it amazing that people think infinite growth is possible and desirable. I think I will absolutely live to see Columbus reverse course in my lifetime, a lot can happen in just 10-20 years, let alone 40-50.

Detroit in 1950 had 1.8 million people and had doubled in size, adding a million residents in 30 years (growth Columbus cannot even fathom). Did that growth last forever? No, in fact 30 years later, 650k had left the city. 50 years after that peak, nearly a million had left. I don't understand why people think now is impossible.

Old 05-02-2023, 09:36 AM

160 posts, read 87,240 times
Columbus' growth is not at the expense of the state. Columbus has opportunities and growth begets growth. Columbus would still gain. Other cities shouldn't blame Columbus and not jobs get be handed out to other cities arbitrarily... I mean yeah, some companies can do that, but unless that can be strategically encouraged via policy, I don't see much changing.

Btw, I do think that cities in Ohio and beyond that are struggling should benefit where possible from such policies. I don't know how much it would move the needle though.

Old 05-02-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten653 View Post
Columbus' growth is not at the expense of the state. Columbus has opportunities and growth begets growth. Columbus would still gain. Other cities shouldn't blame Columbus and not jobs get be handed out to other cities arbitrarily... I mean yeah, some companies can do that, but unless that can be strategically encouraged via policy, I don't see much changing.

Btw, I do think that cities in Ohio and beyond that are struggling should benefit where possible from such policies. I don't know how much it would move the needle though.
How does losing population to Columbus benefit the state?

Old 05-02-2023, 11:15 AM

160 posts, read 87,240 times
Quote:
How does losing population to Columbus benefit the state?

I wasn't suggesting that it would or should happen.

Old 05-02-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I honestly find it amazing that people think infinite growth is possible and desirable. I think I will absolutely live to see Columbus reverse course in my lifetime, a lot can happen in just 10-20 years, let alone 40-50.

Detroit in 1950 had 1.8 million people and had doubled in size, adding a million residents in 30 years (growth Columbus cannot even fathom). Did that growth last forever? No, in fact 30 years later, 650k had left the city. 50 years after that peak, nearly a million had left. I don't understand why people think now is impossible.
You make some excellent points. Personally, after having lived in L.A. and NYC I am pretty dang happy with the lack of big city congestion in Cincinnati. I mean, sure there's traffic and congestion but nothing that is remotely comparable to LA/NYC. Having more population a better city does not make.

Then theres the rose-colored booster glasses people on city data like to wear. Ive literally marvelled at the lack of actual relevant data that several posters allow in their content. Its sad really. Its like they want everyone to believe that Columbus is some super-metropolis in the making and it's nothing of the sort. More than anything Columbus has found a way to keep it's population larger within the city limits and that's likely to get more federal money for whatever they can get it for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus