Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:28 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,937 times

Advertisements

Just because you have africans and asians doesn't mean your city is more diverse. Holy Hell!!!!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:44 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,869 times
in addition to other groups, middle-eastern, indian, mexican, vietnamese, cambodian, colombian and a million others there is a lot of diversity among races, ethnicities, cultures, classes, religions (muslims in columbus??) and homosexuals in columbus. 54% pct black screams of a "black and white" town, similar to what is seen in baltimore, st. louis and cincinnati. just driving around, the city feels black and most of the white people are either downtown or on one side/far reaches and the burbs feel white in most areas. there is a lot of diversity in cincinnati and cleveland, but not on the level of columbus. when the 2010 census comes out, i bet columbus doesn't look nearly as white.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:49 AM

You must frequent areas of Columbus that i don't because i've rarely seen a black person in the suburbs at all. I've been to C-bus numerous times, shopped at Giant Eagles, gone to the malls, ate in your chain restaurants. I can't remember seeing a single black person. I've seen lots and lots of white people, some arabs, some indians and maybe a couple of asians, that's it.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:15 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Hillside, you are very wrong yet again.

If you look at the stats alone for race, Cleveland is much more diverse than Columbus. And Columbus is 54% black? Im guessing you meant Cleveland. Columbus is 25% black, and thats with all the groups with dark skin, including Somalians. Ive been to Columbus many times and actually lived there for a few months, it gives no impression at all as being a "black town". Detroit, and Gary give that general impression, but not Columbus. The only areas that are like that is a small band on the Eastside. Although Im hoping that whole part of your post was referring to Cleveland for your sake.

Columbus just isnt as diverse as you think it is. Its 67% white. Even the new census estimates say its 65% white. The only thing Columbus has more of (other than white) is Asians, and Somalians. Cleveland has a lot higher percentage of African-Americans and Hispanics, which does equal diversity. The suburbs/cities outside the core city is no competetion at all, Cleveland is MUCH more diverse there. As I already mentioned, most of Columbus' suburbs and cities outside the core are nearly all white. Im not saying more diverse or less diverse is so much superior to the other, but Cleveland is just more diverse than Columbus is, the city and area.

Last edited by BelieveInCleve; 11-20-2008 at 10:37 AM..

Old 11-20-2008, 10:15 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
You must frequent areas of Columbus that i don't because i've rarely seen a black person in the suburbs at all. I've been to C-bus numerous times, shopped at Giant Eagles, gone to the malls, ate in your chain restaurants. I can't remember seeing a single black person. I've seen lots and lots of white people, some arabs, some indians and maybe a couple of asians, that's it.
the suburbs? i think you just answered it.

the primary african-american population is centered on the eastside, which is almost all black from downtown to damn near hamilton rd. also linden and the cleveland ave corridor up to northern lights and the northside, where there is a huge somali population. there are a lot of black people off east 161 too. the southside (livingston, parsons) and short north have a lot of blacks as well. the westside has a lot of mexicans. the northside by 270 has a lot of people of middle-eastern descent, indians and asians. clintonville and northwest has a big asian community.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:33 AM

I thought we were talking about the entire Columbus area, not just the city. If you look at greater Cleveland compared to C-bus there is no comparison.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:42 AM

35 posts, read 163,078 times
Maybe it is just me, but it takes more than a high percentage of blacks/hispanics to make a city diverse. Unless the minorities are coming from other parts of the country or world bringing different cultures to the area. I do not agree with everything hillside said but diversity is more than the percentage of minorities, you must include different religions, ethnicities, nationalities, culture and lifestyles.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:09 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,416 times
columbusis 25% black. period. chesapeake83 is correct in what has already been said. and again cleveland and cinci win hands down (city or metro). hillside i bet you are only about 25 ? i get the impression you are not very experienced in life

Old 11-20-2008, 11:10 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,416 times
HILLSIDE, thats not meant to be a put-down. peace

Old 11-20-2008, 01:40 PM

87 posts, read 180,822 times
putting all stats aside, columbus defiantly fells waaaaay more than only 25% black. north, east, south sides seem to be atleast 50/50.

i dont were we stand compared to other ohio cities but we seem to be pretty diverse to me....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus