Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 07:16 PM

4 posts, read 8,621 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My wife, our two kids and myself are relocating to Columbus. I'll be commuting downtown (Arena District) and my wife will be driving to OSU. As we move closer to the date, we're getting more excited to make the move! I've been to Columbus several times for work and I've found that I really love the city.

I'm hoping to get some opinions from others pertaining to the following questions/criteria:

-What are the better areas in/around Columbus that have high quality schools, relatively short commute times (under 30 minutes,) non-excessive tax structures and affordable housing (3 or more bedroom house for under $250k)?

-Also, we would like to live in an area that has the infrastructure to entertain our family (i.e. parks, trails, museums, etc...) so that we don't have to venture downtown all the time. We are hoping this area also has a low crime rate, an active, friendly community, and lots of kids for our two children (currently, there is only one child in our neighborhood!)

As a side thought (generally speaking) how are the private schools compared to public schools? I ask this b/c I grew up in an area where the private schools were far superior to public, but my wife lived in an area where it was opposite.

I know this may sound like a tall order, but I'm hopeful that the 15th largest city in the nation has an area that can fill this order!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and perspectives!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 08:58 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,581,808 times
First, congrats on your pending move! I lived in Columbus for 26 years, and while I like to think that I can look honestly at its positives and negatives, I can't help but feel very warmly about the place. Based on what you're asking below, it sounds like Columbus will be a great match for you. I truly think it's one of the greatest cities in the country to raise a family.

I rarely found commuting to be a problem in Columbus. I used to live in the Henderson/Bethel area and worked downtown, and my morning commute was rarely longer than 20 minutes. For what you're looking for, and your price range, I'd give strong looks at Worthington, Hilliard, and Grove City. Worthington, in particular, offers an outstanding public school system (one of the best in the state), proximity to two major arteries into downtown (315 and I-71), as well as proximity to parks and other activities that you'v expressed an interest in. Worthington is close to Highbanks Park (one of the best in the city), Antrim Park (with a lake surrounded by a mile long walking/jogging trail) and Whetstone Park (aka the Park of Roses) in Clintonville. Old Worthington also has some unique boutiques and pubs, as well as the Worthington Inn--one of the area's best restaurants.

I'm not as familiar with Hilliard or Grove City, so perhaps others could chime in on those. There are other very nice suburbs as well--such a Dublin, Westerville, Gahanna and Reynoldsburg--but their locations in relation to downtown would perhaps lengthen your commute a bit. Good luck in your search!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:23 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,682,387 times
Worthington is a good suburb, the commute to OSU will be short and is along 315. Grandview is closer to downtown and a great suburb.

Columbus does have family oriented neighborhoods with good public schools, inside the city limits. Clintonville and Beechwold are the most popular and sought after.

The schools are good, Columbus City but good, there are bike trails, rose parks, a large library and rec. center, walkable retail districts, just minutes (off highway) from downtown, OSU, and the Short North.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Worthington is a good suburb, the commute to OSU will be short and is along 315. Grandview is closer to downtown and a great suburb.

Columbus does have family oriented neighborhoods with good public schools, inside the city limits. Clintonville and Beechwold are the most popular and sought after.

The schools are good, Columbus City but good, there are bike trails, rose parks, a large library and rec. center, walkable retail districts, just minutes (off highway) from downtown, OSU, and the Short North.
Grandview is a good suggestion, as is Bexley and Arlington. I always forget about the "surrounded" suburbs.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:02 PM

Thanks to everyone who has posted thus far. I've spoken to co-workers and they have confirmed that Upper Arlington, Bexley and Worthington areas are nice locations that would probably suit our needs. They've also mentioned the areas of Hilliard (aparently a growing area) Pickerington (more rural and growing as well /better taxes) and Dublin (growing the fastest) are desireable. Anyone care to weigh in on these areas? Would they offer what my family is looking for and still keep my commute time less than 30 min?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Old 01-08-2009, 08:07 AM

Pickerington's pretty far out there, and I think you'd have a hard time keeping your commute consistently under 30 minutes from there. Dublin is nice, but sprawling. Your commute will depend entirely upon where you're living there.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:25 PM

Generally speaking, about how long would it take to get to downtown from Pickerington during normal rush hours?

Old 01-11-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_RELOCATE View Post
Generally speaking, about how long would it take to get to downtown from Pickerington during normal rush hours?
Depends entirely upon traffic, but 45 minutes isn't unreasonable.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:16 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,682,387 times
Quote:
Why move to Pickerington? Clintonville is next to OSU and very close to downtown, Arena District. The neighborhood is established, has bike trails, rec. centers, walkable streets. The public schools in Clintonville are ranked just as well as Pickerington and many excellent private schools are in Clintonville.

I say look at both. Take a look at the established neighborhoods and the new exurbs and see which you prefer. Everyones preference is difference.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:34 PM

It seems that I'm leaning most towards the Worthington area (a 45 minute drive time could translate into almost one full work day a week in driving. My wife and kids are far too important for that.) Admitedly, I was lured to Pickerington by the affordable house prices.

Before formally contacting a realtor, I'd like to investigate the Beechwold neighborhood, but I'm having a hard time locating it on some of your local realtor's websites. Can anyone provide a few zipcodes? Thanks again to everyone for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus