Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:23 PM

893 posts, read 791,220 times

Advertisements

Atlanta....great place for everybody
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 08:14 PM

98 posts, read 314,560 times
Charlotte or Atlanta either one is a great place to live, being from Charlotte and transferred to Columbus, you'll have better luck at finding a good high paying job in Charlotte from stats I've seen, great museums, excellent performing arts/theatrical movement, a lot of young professionals, an improving public transportation system (light rail exists there and Atlanta). The neighborhoods within Charlotte are active, friendly, and diverse. NoDa(North Davidson Area) just north of Uptown, Dilworth, Southend (just south of Uptown), Myers Park, Uptown itself, South Park just to name a few.

Crime is a bit of a problem in certain areas of Charlotte, however I feel they actually are more proactive about getting rid of it down there compared to Columbus. You'll want to stay away from the west side and near Independence Blvd (closer to Uptown), they are the transition areas, however they are still kind of rough. Charlotte is also becoming a major hotbed for growth, it's booming down there, much faster than here which is why it's bringing in so many young people. They have a lot going on uptown at various times of the year, even winter since you can actually do stuff outside down there in winter.

Last edited by west5548; 01-18-2008 at 08:40 PM..

Old 01-20-2008, 09:57 AM

51 posts, read 180,347 times
I have lived in Columbus for 3 years. I grew up in San Diego and spent several years in Chicago and Wash DC. The thing I dislike the most about Columbus is the lack of culture and diversity. It is very cookie-cutter here. Although, it is supposed to be one of the best cities for black families. As for public transportation I am sure there are buses but that's it. Based on what you said you're interested in DC area sounds perfect.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:54 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times
Statistics have shown and it has been voted on a national basis, that Columbus is one of the best cities for blacks to live in. Columbus has a strong, growing, and diverse economy with large fortune 500 companies like Nationwide based here. Charlotte is ok, but experiencing such a high growth rate, that many problems are coming along with that. Columbus out of the three is probaly the safest, Atlanta having really bad crime rates. I went to the city last year, and rode the subway to the downtown area where my hotel was located, and didn't feel safe at all. I had all my luggage with me, and felt at any moment it was going to be taken away from me, but the downtown was very nice.

I can't say much for Charlotte's downtown, but Columbus is experiencing major growth downtown. The area around Nationwide Arena is growing rapidly with new condos, shopping and restaurants. The suburbs are extremely nice, New Albany, Dublin, Hilliard, Worthington, and Gahanna. Shopping is probaly better in Columbus than Charlotte, but not better than Atlanta. Easton Town Centre in Columbus is a huge mall, even offering two German luxury car dealerships.

Columbus has an unemployment rate under the national rate, a very good growing economy, a diverse population, the black and asian populations are doing very good, and the hispanic population is in a way booming, Columbus offers great metro parks, and overall is a progressive city.

Charlotte is facing growth that is out of control in most areas. I have talked to so many people across the country, even in Charlotte, this is for my job training, and planning and growth in Charlotte is being strained with the growth. They are facing problems that they weren't facing 3 years ago.

Columbus in my opinion is the best. It has a better than normal economy, young people are moving in, not only is the metro area growing, but so is the city itself. The city offers many cultural districts downtown and areas surrounding the downtown. I think you should visit all three cities if you can, and see what you like the best. Good Luck in the move.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:06 AM

116 posts, read 294,399 times
Default Final decision

BTW Cleveland & Columbus which one is the best choice

Old 12-29-2008, 04:34 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoffy View Post
BTW Cleveland & Columbus which one is the best choice
Columbus, a hundred times over.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:58 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
It depends what you want and who you ask. Mostly people from C-bus will say C-bus.........people in the Cleveland area will mostly say Cleveland. What are you looking for? Do you want to live in the suburbs?? What types of events and activities do you want to be close to? There are a lot options in both cities......just depends on the type of feel and look that you want.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:16 PM

150 posts, read 980,981 times
I HATE Atlanta, but I think DC, Columbus and Charlotte are great. Each city offers different amenities. What are you looking for?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:11 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
It depends what you want and who you ask. Mostly people from C-bus will say C-bus.........people in the Cleveland area will mostly say Cleveland. What are you looking for? Do you want to live in the suburbs?? What types of events and activities do you want to be close to? There are a lot options in both cities......just depends on the type of feel and look that you want.
I dunno...I've got family in both cities and can't come up with many reasons to pick Cleveland. Perhaps if Cleveland actually had an economy it would be closer, but I've heard for years how Cleveland was "coming back" and it just keeps not happening.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:42 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
Well, i myself would pick the Cleveland metro over C-bus. I don't live in either area, but i've spent a significant amount of time in each metro. I prefer the character and cultural activites that Cleveland has to over of the sprawl and cookie cutter look of C-bus. Both cities are in good locations, so that really isn't an issue. I just like older cities much better than newer ones.

I'm not saying C-bus isn't nice..........you guys have lots of new shopping, new homes, new businesses, etc, but sometimes the roads around those new areas can't handle the traffic. C-bus may be growing and have more jobs, but i still prefer Cleveland. Cleveland still has jobs, it just depends on your line of work. The Cleveland Clinic is hiring like crazy and not just in the nursing field, they are looking for finance and accounting people as well.

When I go to Cleveland I spend some time by the lake, catch an Indians, Browns, or Cavs game, go to the Warehouse District, etc. Other times I visit the metro parks, the auto show(when it's in town), and the museums at University Circle. Cleveland also has a nice playhouse area and one of the best symphonies in the world. I also enjoy visiting many of the Cleveland suburbs.........Chagrin Falls is absolutely gorgeous and i love the old homes in many of the inner ring suburbs.

And, yes, i know C-bus has some nice old sections too, you don't have to tell me about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus