Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:53 AM

45 posts, read 127,662 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving...just want a change for me and my kids.....ive lived in atlanta all my life and really cant stand it here anymore.

Would ohio be a good move for me and the kids?

I work in the medical field where I am a medical biller so I would love to stay in this field.

I want good schools and things for the kids to do....

We never see snow in georgia so the weather would not be a problem.

Any positive feedback would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 07:16 PM

98 posts, read 314,954 times
I'll switch places with you. I love Atlanta. No problem with snow around here, you'll get plenty of that.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:45 AM

you do? it is so hard living in atlanta......

Old 02-03-2009, 10:11 AM

897 posts, read 2,827,667 times
james - Our family moved from ATL (Cobb County) to Columbus (Powell area) almost 2 years ago. My 3 kids LOVE it here. The weather was a bit of an adjustment (native Southerners) but very adaptable. IMO, Summer in ATL is more brutal than a Winter in central OH. The economy in Columbus does not reflect the trend throughout the rest of OH. In fact, I know many people (or those that know someone) in ATL that are loosing jobs. The migration to ATL and other points South have practically come to a dead halt due to jobs. I would suggest giving the job hunt a try and come up for a visit. I would not suggest moving anywhere without a secure job in this economy. If you have an open mind and positive attitude you'll be pleasantly suprised with Columbus, OH. You'll make the best decision for YOUR family. Good luck!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:12 PM

gemini that is so good to hear.... jobs are very scarce and this city is soooo crowded. Its practically shoving native atlantans out because you are right....jobs are scarce and bills are rising.....i work in medical billing...are there any hospitals you would suggest?...so can start sending out my resumes

Old 02-05-2009, 11:24 AM

94 posts, read 334,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james417 View Post
gemini that is so good to hear.... jobs are very scarce and this city is soooo crowded. Its practically shoving native atlantans out because you are right....jobs are scarce and bills are rising.....i work in medical billing...are there any hospitals you would suggest?...so can start sending out my resumes
I know Progressive Medical is hiring, they are right here in Westerville, OH. Ohio Health also opened up a brand new facility last month called the Westerville Medical Campus. Riverside and Grant are the best. But there is also a St. Ann's Hospital right in Westerville as well. The parent company is Mount Carmel.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:19 PM

thanks seafood ill check those out

Old 02-05-2009, 01:45 PM

80 posts, read 278,847 times
Quote:
I am considering moving...just want a change for me and my kids.....ive lived in atlanta all my life and really cant stand it here anymore.
What can't you stand about Atlanta? Just curious here! Plenty of folks live here and love it. Some hate it, especially those from larger cities. I am originally from Boston and for the most part loathed it here my first few years. I didn't even give it a chance and just decided it was too small and boring. After being so negative for so long I had two choices. Move. Or stop prejudging the place and see what works positive for me here. Moving is expensive, and I have a child here. So my next best option is to just be a little more open minded about the city. I have discovered there is a lot to do here, and a lot of potential. In many areas there is still work to be done, and it may never be a NYC or LA (but then, do you want it to be??). I still love my hometown but I have also grown to enjoy being here in Ohio for the foreseeable future. Good luck with your move, and yes, you may have days were you miss not just Atlanta, but small things about Atlanta. I miss fresh seafood, but I deal!

Old 02-05-2009, 06:46 PM

98 posts, read 314,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james417 View Post
you do? it is so hard living in atlanta......
I do. I love the energetic and modern feel of Atlanta, there is alot to do there as well year around, without having to wear layers of clothing 6-8 months out of the year when you go outside to do something. I'm from the south too and have found it very difficult to adjust to winters up here, it's not as moderate/mild as many say it is. This is my biggest complaint about living here. Winter drags on forever snowing up until almost May and then you have a 50/50 chance of a warm and decent summer. It's been enough to give me the ambition to finally move back down south this year.

Best of luck to you and your family, you may like it up here, this place is more of a family town, it's just not for me.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:47 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,077,192 times
Try working at OSU. It's recession proof, great bennies and child care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus