Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2007, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,192 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be moving with my family from the UK across to Columbus in a few weeks time due to job relocation. I think my company is looking to rent accomodation for us in the 'New Albany' area.

I would be interested to find out about family orientated activites/places to visit in the Columbus area (such as parks, recreation areas, swimming pools, etc...) - as we have our three year old daughter with us.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated ! Thanks in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 06:50 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,865,420 times
Good morning Ollieman, and welcome to central Ohio!

New Albany is an upscale suburb on the NE side of Columbus. It's one of the newest-developed communities in the area; 15 years ago it was a small farm town that barely attracted any attention at all. Then retail billionaire Les Wexner moved there and, well, things changed...

Anyway, as for parks in the area: Hoover Reservoir and Inniswood Metro Gardens are pretty close by. And for a nearby "touristy" activity, Easton Town Center is very close. It has shopping, cinemas, restaurants, bars, etc. That's the #1 place I always take out of town visitors!

Best of luck with your upcoming move! We're glad you're coming

Old 03-30-2007, 01:49 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,675,761 times
I hope that you will have a car, in new albany a car is a must, new albany is also a little drive from most of the attractions in columbus excecpt for the easton town center.

IN the central city you should visit german village
Theres a beautiful park in german village called shiller park and some interesting shops and places to walk around if its nice out. I wouldn't go to german village if the weatethers poor. Its simply a nice place to relax and explore for a bit.

If your going toward downtown with children COSI (center for sciene and industry) is a must for adults and children of all ages. It is an indoor/outdoor science center. It is right in downtown and 2minutes from german village.

The short north arts district (shopping and some of columbus best dinning), also the north market is near the short north and is a must its a market of global foods. With kids the north market would be a great place to eat, but the short north is more bars/clubs/fine dinning and most of the establishments do not cater to young children. HOwever, during the day the short north has many cool shops and little boutiques which may interest you or your wife, this area is also good if you like art galleries. Most of the shops are open tuesday-saturday during the day until 6pm.

Also near or in downtown is the columbus art and Franklin Park Conservatory is just east of downtown on Broad St. and has is a conservatory in the middle of one of columbus' larger urban parks

Also, the columbus zoo is in the northern section of the city is always a large draw and one of the more recognized zoos in america. This is of course great for children.

All of the above attractions are usuals for visitors and when you are at the easton town center (the outdoor entertainment center near New Albany) they have a visitors station that could provide you with maps and information on attractions in the rest of the city and how to get to the attractions around downtown or at the zoo.
Basically near New Albany is Easton, which can provide you will info. on all the attractions in downtown and in northern columbus (the zoo)

Enjoy your trip.

Last edited by streetcreed; 03-30-2007 at 01:58 PM..

Old 04-02-2007, 12:23 PM

3 posts, read 8,202 times
Since you're in the New Albany area, I would recommend going to Hoover Reservoir for outdoor recreation from time to time. You could rent a motorboat, sailboat or canoe, go fishing, walk on the trails...etc.

Good luck on your move!

Old 04-03-2007, 12:31 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,675,761 times
Also to anyone into contempoary art
The wexner centre for the performing arts is great It is on the OSU campus on the High St. commercial strip
www.wexarts.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus