Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you have handled a similar situation
Self Preservation: Take the goods but my life is mine. 2 50.00%
Split the Difference: Fight your way to safety 2 50.00%
No Mercy: Find them and Destroy them 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,812 times

Advertisements

To all who may read this posting:

I am in urgent need of advice regarding something that I want to do for this city. I am a single man that was the victim of a malicious crime. I know that many people have been in similar situations or worse. Many people are forced to live in fear from retribution. Many people tragically loose their lives through no fault of their own because of the cowardly actions that criminals level against the citizens of my current city of residence.

I need to enlist the help of anyone that may help me to bring to justice anyone associated with a specific group of criminals.

I will leave details of the incident out of this posting that may put me at further risk of hardship but I know that there are many others in this city that grow weary of the gang activity that has plagued this city.

To drive the point home, I will describe what happened to me so that all who read this posting may know that I am not going to live in fear.

On the night in question I was parked on property that is owned by my family. In a vehicle that I lease with my hard earned money. There is a burnt out street light that would have illuminated the entire scene of the crime and possibly held at bay the events that took place. I was talking to a friend on my cellphone when 2 to 4 people attacked me. The first person that came into my field of view wore a ski mask and fired a pistol. I told the person on the phone the address I were I was located and to call 911 and send police. All this as I ducked to avoid what I saw as an imminent threat to my life. I engaged my hazard lights and sounded my horn and kept as low as possible as the assault continued. from another direction someone attempted to smash my driver's side window with a rock. Prior to my arrival I had dropped a coworker at home. When this person left my vehicle, they forgot to lock the passenger side door. This allow another person to infiltrate my vehicle and press a gun to my right temple. The thieves proceeded to take the keys from my ignition, my phone, its charger, and demanded that I "turn out" my pockets. Offering no resistance I complied with all they asked. Adding insult to this injury the group proceeded to try to punch and kick me. Instinctively my thoughts were to cover up vital areas as best I could. I felt that it was a futile effort because I knew that a gun was present. I also knew that help was coming so I knew that I had done everything I could to defend myself and prayed to God that the police would arrive in time. I know that this is my best recollection of the event. The courageous efforts of the Columbus Police Department are to be commended. They responded swiftly and I am alive now because in part to their efforts.

In the aftermath I am left to pay for damages to my vehicle and the loss of very personal belongings which I must now replace. In their haste the perpetrators of this crime did not even notice the multitool and knife that was mounted to my belt. As I heard police units closing in I continued to sound my horn and drew my knife in case these cowards had the audacity to return.

There is a group of people in Columbus Ohio that consider themselves a gang. I know that part of their title has the word "Mafia in it"

Had these criminals spent more time in school, they would know it is the tiny bits of information like this that allow justice to win out in the end. That end may takes a few weeks or a few decades.

I don't hold out much hope for the cowards directly responsible for this crime to be found, but I want help in making sure that it is extremely difficult for this to happen to anyone else.

Any resources that you may know of that I can use to help myself or others will be greatly appreciated

Thank you for taking time to read my story.

If you have any questions please respond to this posting. I will answer them as best I can.

Resist Gangs and they will perish. Do not live in Fear. If you return violence for violence, violence will only grow. Be ever wary of the appearance of evil.

Thank you again for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 10:11 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,222,412 times
sorry to hear...

Old 03-22-2011, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,382 times
Hello Sydney Smith:

I am heartbroken to hear of your experience. I know how this must have felt, and has affected you even to this day. My son was not only robbed, but he was murdered as well in 2004 by gang members.

I started my organization Hearts Healing Hearts, L.L.C. here in Columbus, Ohio. You may contact me if you still need to talk with someone. Also, I am planning on having summer workshops this coming summer. If you are interested, I would love for you to participate in the youth conference(s) to tell your story to the audience. Go to my website and contact through the contact information on the webpage.

My prayers of recovery go out to you.

Sincerely,

Ms. Gonnie Goins

Hearts Healing Hearts, L.L.C.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:09 PM

13 posts, read 40,499 times
So sorry to hear about your ordeal! I know that gang violence is an ever growing crime. In California they actually have a website that lists all the names of the gangs and where they are located. Actually the website may be for every state, not sure. It is heart breaking the stories I have heard. I have actually seen gang members posting on that site (I was on there because I was looking for something and I stumbled across it - I was on the search for a dog stolen by gang member and as I googled it, that is how I saw the website). Where I live, it is a growing concern. I am scared to leave the house. I have seen them walking down the street at times together. Where I live used to be a wonderful place to live, then everyone started moving from Columbus.

Again, I am sorry to hear about your situation. I hope that you find the help you are seeking for this situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus