Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2009, 06:36 AM

4 posts, read 10,732 times

Advertisements

Hi friends,
I'm from India. I've got a job in Gahanna for $55000 PA.I'm planning to move within 3 months. Please let me know the cost of living in Gahanna. I wamt to know about the expenses for
* Room Rent (Single)
* Boarding
* Travel
how much i can save per month? Is this a reasonable salary? Initially how much i've to carry to US? please guide me..

Thank you in advance,
Leela
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 06:53 AM

158 posts, read 404,174 times
You need to be a little more specific in your post. With the exception of real estate, the cost of living in Gahanna is not much different than any other suburb in central Ohio. If you are renting, depending on what you need in terms of apartment, you could be spending anywhere between $600-$1200. I am not sure what you mean by travel or by boarding. Are you asking about cost of traveling to other cities states from Gahanna or are you referring to the cost of gasoline? By boarding are you asking about boarding your pets or the average cost of an apartment which I answered above?

Old 11-08-2009, 07:55 PM

Question Thank u coach123

Hello Coach,

Thank you very much for your concern. Please let me brief the details.

I'm in India now.I've got a H1B job in gahanna with $55000 PA. I'm going to prepare for my travel to US. I don't have any idea about the cost of living in Gahanna.

I would like to know the average room rent(Single/shared) in Gahanna. I don't have any pets. My office is in cross point road.If i want to travel from my room to office how much I've to spend.

Is it possible to get Indian food? I would like to know average cost for the food...

Please help me to get a clear idea. With this salary is it possible to save money?

Old 11-08-2009, 08:55 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Rent will be about $600-$700 for a one bedroom apartment. Indian food isn't plentiful in the area, but some restaurants are in the metro Columbus area.

Yes, you should be able to save some money at that salary level. Of course, I'm not familiar with how India treats foreign income for tax purposes.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:09 PM

Default thank u for your kind information

Hello Mr.NewToCA,

Thank you very much for your valuable and quick reply.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:24 AM

158 posts, read 404,174 times
I have no idea what a H1B job is. The average rent for an apartment has already been answered. As far as how much it will cost to get from your apartment to work, that is very difficult to answer. Public transportation is very poor in Columbus, especially Gahanna. Your life will be very difficult without a personal car. I would look at purchasing a car as soon as you can.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:58 AM

5 posts, read 21,434 times
I am moving there myself and thought I could give you some sites to look at.
1. Look in the Columbus Dispatch newspaper to get an idea of cost for rooms to rent. Although if $55000 is U.S. dollars you will be able to afford your own apartment and live quite well and be able to save money. That is a good salary for a single person in that area.
2. You can look on Rent.com, ApartmentGuide.com or Apartments.com to see cost of apartments in Gahanna.
3. As said before you will probably need a car, but go to Mapquest.com and see the distance from your job to apartments in the area, you may find one in walking distance but it does get cold there and snows.
4. Also, try looking for social or religious organizations that are Indian in Columbus, I'm sure there must be some that can give you more help finding food/grocery and friends that can help you be more comfortable in your new surroundings.
How exciting for you - new country, new job, Good Luck and welcome to the U.S.!

Old 11-10-2009, 03:59 PM

23 posts, read 59,509 times
Gahanna is small. It would probably cost .50 cents of gas to get to work if you live in Gahanna too. Ha ha. $55,000 is a lot of money. You should buy a house if you've got that good of a job! American food is good! You'll get fat living here. You probably don't eat beef though? Kroger Marketplace (there is a difference between regular "Kroger" and "Kroger Marketplace") food store has a section of food for every country so you could probably go there for your shopping. Your job isn't paying for relocation? If not, take $10,000, (after your plane ticket),(more if you're gonna buy a car) ). Stay in a NICE hotel, at least $90 per night, otherwise it will not be a very safe and or clean, while looking for a couple of weeks, Rent would be maximum $1400 plus deposit (usually one months rent) and a minimum of $600 plus deposit, DON'T move anywhere where you pay less than $600, you will not like it! If you eat out everyday it will cost you about $20-$25 a day, If you stay at a hotel with a refrigerator (before you find somewhere) and go shopping, food for a week (for 1) would be about $60, and that is eating a lot. Don't ride the bus around here, you will not like that either! Get a car somehow. Some car rental places are Enterprise, Budget or AVIS and they can pick you up in it at the airport if you want. I hope this has helped and good luck!

Last edited by christysullivan27; 11-10-2009 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 11-10-2009, 11:49 PM

Default Thank u all

Hello,

Thank you very much coach123, 4onthemove, christysullivan27. After reading your messages I've got clear idea and more confidence. Thank you very much. Happily i'll prepare for my travel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus