Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 12:35 AM

9 posts, read 18,636 times

Advertisements

I'm considering OSU for grad school and I want info on neighborhoods to focus my rental search. I'm also looking in Akron so I'm just gonna cut and paste my post from the other forum.
I am a totally single mother of two young children. My oldest will be starting school in the fall-so I want to investigate living situations in an area that is safe for a mama flying solo, close to OSU, has a good K-3 public school and safe toddler childcare nearby, offers inexpensive rentals (with washers/dryers and yards). In other words an area rich in relatively cheap (as in less than $700/month sans utilities) 2-3 bedroom houses-not cramped, separate laundry facility apartment complexes with no fenced yards-any single mama will get me here. With childcare costs I really need to keep my rent costs to a minimum. I also REALLY dig Victorian and turn of the century architecture so a house built before 1920 would be a big added bonus for me (I'd be okay with a 1920s style deco place as well but the more classic woodworking and turrets the better!). Any neighborhood suggestions?

I am also really into having live music venues, public transport, parks for running, good food and used-book shops nearby. I grew up in Cleveland so I know where those areas are there but I never had much cause to come to Columbus and only came down when live music brought me (15 years ago when I was a teenager). So I am totally not familiar with the neighborhoods that will satisfy my hunger for urban-type hip.

I've been living in an outdoorsy mountain town out west for years and I am ready to re-navigate a more urban landscape, where diversity is very present and there are a bazillion interesting things to access.
I've heard Short North is artsy but pricey and Clintonville is safe and residential (but seems pretty boring). So please comment on those areas if you have stuff to add.
Also if you can give me zipcodes, street names and rental agencies to expidite my efforts, the data would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you much!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 07:25 AM

183 posts, read 634,247 times
Hmm... urban, cheap, safe, good schools, and close to OSU is a tough one. The only place that even comes close to that is Upper Arlington. The only problem is that it's not exactly cheap (you may be able to find something though).

The rough outline of the school district border for Upper Arlington is

West - Scioto River
South - 5th Ave.
East - Northstar Rd. until you get to Fishinger Rd and then Kenny Rd. afterward.
North - Henderson Rd.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:36 PM

48 posts, read 150,006 times
in far northwest Columbus(tuttle mall area),your kids will go to Hilliard schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus