Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 02:11 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,168 times

Advertisements

118 million student center???????????????????????????? What is going on???

Ohio State opens $118 million union | The Columbus Dispatch

I'm all for Ohio doing whatever it can to be leading edge...but this is ridiculous considering the state's economic problems of the last 20-30 years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 09:33 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,222 times
a student union isn't really leading edge

Old 03-30-2010, 11:32 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Hah, they've been planning that thing for 15 years. I'm pretty sure it was largely funded through an OSU capital campaign.

What's an appropriate price for a student union building, BTW? I really have no idea.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:33 PM

14 posts, read 28,662 times
Well, what I have to say is that we were just in Columbus last week checking out a job. And we were shown the new student center. We were quite impressed at the attention the city seems to give to education. So, maybe it's more than giving students a new place to hang out. We may very well be moving there partly because of how the University seems to be growing in the right direction!

Old 03-30-2010, 06:20 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
That is a remarkable structure, certainly a great addition for the school and Columbus.

Ohio Union - March 24, 2010 - Ohio Union Photo Gallery

Old 03-30-2010, 06:30 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
The food service operations there will be a huge revenue source for the university. Food alone will probably make those millions back within a decade and I'm sure that there are plenty of other things generating $$$ in that building.

The more out-of-state and international students each university can attract, the fewer state tax dollars will be needed to support it. Having toured several major universities in the past year, including Ohio State, it's clear that universities around the country are trying to outdo each other to stay competitive. (The Union wasn't open yet when we toured last summer.) Ohio State tried hard to get my out-of-state kid to go there. If I lived in and paid taxes in Ohio, I'd be glad to see them working hard to compete by keeping their facilities top notch.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:51 AM

146 posts, read 336,045 times
It was much needed and I think it will provided revenue and recruitment possibilities for the University. As for off campus students, that is who should use it. When you have an 8 o'clock and a 4 o'clock, you don't go home, you go to Union to study, eat, ect. On campus students go back to the dorm.

Unfortunately that thing fails as a piece of architecture, another confused, homogenized building that is looking for it's identity. I really thought the university was moving in the right direction with their design intent for the campus. It does provide some some great interior spaces that will fulfill the needs of the University, but the exterior leaves quite a bit to be desired.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:03 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimboon View Post
Well, what I have to say is that we were just in Columbus last week checking out a job. And we were shown the new student center. We were quite impressed at the attention the city seems to give to education. So, maybe it's more than giving students a new place to hang out. We may very well be moving there partly because of how the University seems to be growing in the right direction!
I don't think it has much to do with the attention of the city to education. A good portion of the costs of The Union is being paid for by an additional fee on the students each quarter. Even as a professional student who will be spending the next year out of state, I'm still going to be charged a fairly large fee each quarter including summer.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:44 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
I don't think it has much to do with the attention of the city to education. A good portion of the costs of The Union is being paid for by an additional fee on the students each quarter. Even as a professional student who will be spending the next year out of state, I'm still going to be charged a fairly large fee each quarter including summer.
While I know that certain fees are going towards the Union, I'm pretty sure it is under the banner of operations and hosting the events, concerts, and speakers. Maybe that's what you mean by costs of the Union being paid by student fees? It's somewhat like the airlines, as both the university (and others) and the airlines nickle and dime customers for services, sometimes even basic ones. The big sticking point though for universities is that the nickle and diming must be paid in order to attend. Do graduate students pay as much in fees as undergrads? I'd like to think they don't because they probably use fewer university facilities, but I don't know.

What irks me the most is the cost to use the event space for non-student run organizations. That will also bring in a boat load of money to the University (and keep academic based student groups from being allowed to use the space for free).

As someone said earlier, much of the cost of construction came from a university capital campaign.

As for the state's problems, I see building a place like this as a step in the right direction to keeping young people in the state, even if it's only at the university level. If the state doesn't take steps to modernize its offerings, be they economic or educational, then we will just fall deeper and deeper into the proverbial hole.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:49 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,631,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
While I know that certain fees are going towards the Union, I'm pretty sure it is under the banner of operations and hosting the events, concerts, and speakers. Maybe that's what you mean by costs of the Union being paid by student fees?

What irks me the most is the cost to use the event space for non-student run organizations. That will also bring in a boat load of money to the University (and keep academic based student groups from being allowed to use the space for free).

As someone said earlier, much of the cost of construction came from a university capital campaign.

As for the state's problems, I see building a place like this as a step in the right direction to keeping young people in the state, even if it's only at the university level. If the state doesn't take steps to modernize its offerings, be they economic or educational, then we will just fall deeper and deeper into the proverbial hole.
Great post! Rep points for you. SW Ohio doesn't have too hard of a time keeping and attracting resident. Central Ohio is one of the fastest growing regions in the Midwest. As long as Ohio can modernize their facilities not only at a university level, but a lot of city attractions, I see many more positive things in the future. We NEED the 3C Corridor!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus