Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 03:07 PM

115 posts, read 267,371 times

Advertisements

I went to restart my pc yesterday and went to play a song as normal. And I didn't hear sound. I haven't installed anything new(hardware or software). So I did the simple checks(power, plugged in, etc). So checked the drives and I saw a yellow w/?.

So I said, okay let me try and re-install my Sigmatel HD drivers. When I did that, it came up with Error code:10. So I deleted drivers, when to Gateway tried ever drive I could think of.

Has anyone ever dealt with this issue? Could my soundcard be dead? I knew the pc is a few years old. Hope I don't have this trouble out my iMac..

Few spec.
Gateway GM5424
Win Vista 32-bit

Appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 06:04 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
If your certain you download the correct driver from Gateway's website, I would try a system restore back to a point when it was working properly.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:59 PM

269 posts, read 911,065 times
Doubtful that's it's dead, most likely a software issue, try these two links (both have an auto fix option or explanation for manual fixes).
Explanation of error codes generated by Device Manager in Windows XP Professional
Description of Code 10-related errors that Device Manager generates in Windows-based computers

Old 07-30-2010, 09:18 AM

Default Thanks

I got frustrated and re-install the whole OS. And the sound still doesn't work correctly. On the site they only have 4 Sigma tel HD Drivers for the Gateway GM5424. And none of them are making it work correctly again. Which is wierd because the drivers came for there site before. Never had a problem out of this pc for 5 years until now. And everything on my windows hinges on sound because I musician and I use DAW's.

So I guess at this point I can just buy a new sound card because they shouldn't cost that much in this day. I guess my next question is would I have to disable the on board sound and uninstall the other sound drivers or driver?

Because what's weird is the only one that shows up is something called Windows HDMI driver and if I play a song, you see it moving up and down but, which ever jack I plug the speakers into, I hear nothing.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:23 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmin5 View Post
I got frustrated and re-install the whole OS. And the sound still doesn't work correctly. On the site they only have 4 Sigma tel HD Drivers for the Gateway GM5424. And none of them are making it work correctly again. Which is wierd because the drivers came for there site before. Never had a problem out of this pc for 5 years until now. And everything on my windows hinges on sound because I musician and I use DAW's.

So I guess at this point I can just buy a new sound card because they shouldn't cost that much in this day. I guess my next question is would I have to disable the on board sound and uninstall the other sound drivers or driver?

Because what's weird is the only one that shows up is something called Windows HDMI driver and if I play a song, you see it moving up and down but, which ever jack I plug the speakers into, I hear nothing.
You get frustrated quickly...

This doesn't surprise me...

At least your OS install is fresh.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:03 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,450,418 times
What have you done or has occurred on your system prior to July 28th?

Try visiting the web site of the onboard sound card's vendor to see if they have anything newer/better.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:20 PM

Default Thanks

I just called it a day, turned off the on-board audio in the Bios and went and bought me another sound card. Now everything is back up and running again. Now I can get back to producing my rap beats.

Thanks for everyone's response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers