Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:28 PM

460 posts, read 3,546,977 times

Advertisements

I used to buy 25 packs of DVD-RW's at Office Max for $7.99 on sale but now all the stores I look in and the Sunay newspaper ads don't have DVD-RW's anymore. I just looked on google and seen internet sites to buy them from so have most retail stores stopped selling them??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 03:08 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,981,373 times
DVD- in general is less prevalent nowadays, as it's usability was poorer compared to the DVD+ format.

Why DVD+R(W) is superior to DVD-R(W) | MyCE – My Consumer Electronics

Old 08-05-2010, 06:37 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
DVD-RW often used by students because of capacity and the ability to update and/or add files. Thumb drives are now the preference for this type of use, as they are bigger, and faster. Think you are seeing the supply/demand scenario playing out.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:05 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
I was going to say what narfcake said. Buy dvd+r's instead of -r. Can get them for 20 dollars for a 100 pack on newegg.com. I buy verbatim x16 which is fast enough for me.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:13 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
RW's are far less reliable than R's, they shouldn't be used for permanent storage. For that matter no optical media should be used for permanent storage unless it's backup for the backup. Don't use them unless you have a need.

The only use I've found for them is testing purposes on authored DVD's where I was just burning video samples and menus for viewing on a TV.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:15 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Pricewatch - Back to School Sales Finder, Price Comparison Shopping sorted by the lowest price - Computer Hardware, Electronics, Clothing and a lot more is great for finding computer stuff

DVD-RW 4.7GB 25pack Media at Pricewatch - Lowest prices, Sales | Page 1

Old 08-06-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
RW's are far less reliable than R's, they shouldn't be used for permanent storage. For that matter no optical media should be used for permanent storage unless it's backup for the backup. Don't use them unless you have a need.

The only use I've found for them is testing purposes on authored DVD's where I was just burning video samples and menus for viewing on a TV.
Urban legend. The danger is that you will not be able to find or buy a drive that can read the data in the future, not that the data will no longer be readable.

Manufacturers' estimated recorded life span (years) http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/opticalm...hor-What-35882
CD-R - 50-200 years
CD-RW - 20-100 years
DRV+/-R - 30-100 years
DVD+/- RW - 30 years

Like any media, it must be stored under proper conditions, so let's not start a spitting contest about "I burned the coaster for my tea glass last month, and now I can't retrieve the data on it", so you're wrong.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:30 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Urban legend. The danger is that you will not be able to find or buy a drive that can read the data in the future, not that the data will no longer be readable.

Manufacturers' estimated recorded life span (years) Optical media longevity
CD-R - 50-200 years
CD-RW - 20-100 years
DRV+/-R - 30-100 years
DVD+/- RW - 30 years

Like any media, it must be stored under proper conditions, so let's not start a spitting contest about "I burned the coaster for my tea glass last month, and now I can't retrieve the data on it", so you're wrong.

I can't remember the last time I burned a 'coaster.' Today's burners are awesome.

I remember buying an external burner that used a serial port or something. The burn speed was like 15 minutes and it burned a lot of coasters.

The later internal ones I had worked, but you had to burn at a lower speed to alleviate coasterdom.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I can't remember the last time I burned a 'coaster.' Today's burners are awesome.

I remember buying an external burner that used a serial port or something. The burn speed was like 15 minutes and it burned a lot of coasters.

The later internal ones I had worked, but you had to burn at a lower speed to alleviate coasterdom.
Burn proof, which is actually an acronymn (of course) for (Buffer Under Run Error Proof) was the greatest invention since sliced bread.

My first burner was a 1X CD burner (that's a ripping 150K/Sec), nor was a 'slower speed' and option, 1X was wide open and you had to make sure nothing at all was being done on your computer, even to the point of disabling the screen saver, as anything would cause a buffer under run which equals a coaster. But the successful burns are still readable.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:01 AM

460 posts, read 3,546,977 times
Sorry guys what I meant to say was DVD+/-RW because that's what I used to get on sale at ofice depot several yrs back but now don't see RW's in the stores like I used to.

So I just picked up a 50 pack of DVD+R's for $12 at Staples and wondering is there any quality advantage/disadvantage between RW's and R's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers