Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 01:49 PM

422 posts, read 792,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You are still missing the point so I will try again. After this I'm finished. You either get it or you don't.

The people that come to this forum looking for help are:

1. Not part of a 12,000+ network. (Yeah, and I own the house next to Bill Gates}

2. Home users for the most part.

3. Don't know, or want to know, the ins and outs of a router, or any more than absolutely necessary to get that #@$^!%* computer running.

3. Someone wanting to operate their computer in as simple a manner as possible. For a home user this is a router and a software firewall, AV, Ccleaner or it's ilk, and Malwarebytes on occasion.

Coming here and bragging to all these folks (and us techs) about how smart you are, how great your certs are, your supposed highfalutin position, and belittling the users for not being as smart as you just tells us not to listen to anything you have to say.

Wrong approach on these boards. On others you might pass muster. Here you fall flat.
So, I offer the best solution and you say "ignore what this person is telling you". I give my reasons and credentials, and you say "Yeah, and I own the house next to Bill Gates".

I really have no respect for such a person who is only here to try to insult others. If you have real solutions to the problem, then post them. But saying that my solution is wrong, without offering a viable solution of your own will get you nowhere.

Unless you have something productive to offer, I don't suggest posting on the forum, especially when your every post is simply to tell others that they are wrong, without having any credentials or knowledge yourself to back it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 01:54 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Lmao!!!

Old 09-14-2010, 02:03 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is probably based on demand rather than difficulty. Good list though and I appreciate you posting it. I have 1,2, 5,6,9,10 on that list as well as some certs that don't appear on the list. I'm not really all that hands on anymore, but I have a rule for all my management... they have to be certified in everything that they require of their staff... which requires me to be certified in a lot of stuff I never really touch hands-on anymore.
Huh. That's actually an interesting idea.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:24 PM

It might keep them from looking like the proverbial deer in the headlights during meetings if nothing else.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:02 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
So, I offer the best solution and you say "ignore what this person is telling you". I give my reasons and credentials, and you say "Yeah, and I own the house next to Bill Gates".

I really have no respect for such a person who is only here to try to insult others. If you have real solutions to the problem, then post them. But saying that my solution is wrong, without offering a viable solution of your own will get you nowhere.

Unless you have something productive to offer, I don't suggest posting on the forum, especially when your every post is simply to tell others that they are wrong, without having any credentials or knowledge yourself to back it up.
1. Yours was far from the best solution considering the people that come here for help.
2. None of us here give a flying rats rear about your credentials, go toot your own horn elsewhere, we're not impressed.
3. I would suggest YOU stop posting here if this is the kind of garbage you'll be churning out.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:21 PM

422 posts, read 792,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
1. Yours was far from the best solution considering the people that come here for help.
2. None of us here give a flying rats rear about your credentials, go toot your own horn elsewhere, we're not impressed.
3. I would suggest YOU stop posting here if this is the kind of garbage you'll be churning out.
I really don't care. I believe that my solution is the best possible, and that it can work for every user. I don't have to defend my solution when it is questioned, but I do so in hopes that the opposing user will gain some insight.

If some people seriously believe that a software solution is the best possible route for security that a user can take, go right ahead and keep thinking that.

I'm not going to further entertain any more of these attempts at insults and "you're wrong, don't listen to him" posts. If someone wants to keep discussing it, it will be without me.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:31 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
I'm not going to further entertain any more of these attempts at insults and "you're wrong, don't listen to him" posts. If someone wants to keep discussing it, it will be without me.
That's all we ask.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:31 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Oh come on now, don't be like that!

I had thrown the same attitude once or twice in the past, heck once here and towards the one and only Tek_Freek albeit not as seriously as you have but my point is we are all opinionated techie apes.. You share only the portions of your knowledge that is relevant and suitable to the general audience of that particular forum. Your particular idea on this topic might be what the doctor ordered in your company and environments similar to that but it may not be the best setup for novice PC users at home.

You have to consider all variables and make sure your advice would be relevant and suitable for all readers, if it is not, you will have disagreements from others which is only natural. Do not get upset or bend out of shape and start making paper planes out of your certifications and toss them to all those who confronted you.

Go back to the first post and start reading each and every post and see if you can spot where exactly this thread deviated from the actual topic into techie pissing contest?

Share your knowledge but if your information has more holes in it than my 3 year old underwear than expect some 'corrective' heat.

Don't get mad if someone states that your suggestion/advice may not be the best or even straight up wrong for a particular scenario.

I have worked at an international company with over 40K users, I have worked at a nation wide corporation with over 65K users and not working at a tiny ass company with 300+ users, guess what every one of them used layered security starting at the router/switch level all the way down to the end users' machines. AV scanner, firewall or IDS type program plus hard disk encryption of some kind at least on laptop. All companies I worked at, regardless of its size, took data/computer security very seriously and they go above and beyond their means to ensure things are secure and private.

That is the corporate environment. At home, this crazy Turk doesn't have any security measure at all. If I ever go deep sea diving, I use one of my virtual machines but on my everyday computer, no firewall, no anti-virus scanner, just Spybot > immunize on, spywareblaster and a US Robotics router or Linksys switch depending on my mood and what I am wearing.
So, fairly similar to what you are suggesting (nutty techs think alike? I hope not!)
But would I go suggesting this type of an unconventional, unorthodox setup to an average forum user? Hell no! Why, cause it would not be a wise configuration for the average user. I know the consequences for my security measures (or lack thereof) and I am OK with it, assuming the forum user would be is plain stupid.

Our advices or suggestions have to be for the best interest of an average, presumably not tech-savvy user. Instructions have to be clear, relevant, logical and preferably conventional.

Dougs, you are obviously a knowledgeable person, in your own way and continue to share your opinions, which is what these posts of ours are, nothing more. There is no such thing as "the best advice", what could be best for someone could be a bad idea for another but there is a middle ground where the information would be palatable by everyone, you will eventually find that middle ground for yourself but until then things could get a little rough if your "advice" doesn't fit in with the majority, so be prepared and be welcoming, don't that it too personal.

We All Share, to tech and to learn at the same time. That is what makes these forums so freaking awesome!

Class dismissed!

Oh crap, who drank my chocolate milkshake?

Old 09-15-2010, 07:09 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
MediocreButArrogant, Tek_Freek, Swagger, NHDave, TurcoLoco, EscapeCalifornia, Asheville Native and others (myself included) have offered practical advice to people who come here and ask for help. Their questions almost always have to do with home computers and few of the posters asking for help indicate many technical skills. Because of that, we offer advice in the simplest terms possible, with the easiest things listed first.

Nobody involved with this forum cares what certs anybody has. Several of use have been doing this kind of work since before there were certs and are completely underwhelmed by anyone bragging about passing a test. A few people who did that no longer post here. (I think it would be in bad taste to mention names.)

Back on topic, I think it is not necessary to make either Malwarebytes or IE an exception in the Windows Firewall. While we're on the subject, I think that, for most people, using the Windows Firewall is the most practical advice, considering the technical skill level generally exhibited here.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:15 AM

What, me vocal?

Dougstech will find his level. I promise to be patient and play nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Back on topic, I think it is not necessary to make either Malwarebytes or IE an exception in the Windows Firewall. While we're on the subject, I think that, for most people, using the Windows Firewall is the most practical advice, considering the technical skill level generally exhibited here.
I agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers